Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Max Bernosky

Default 95% 1rm Snatch analysis - help me PR!

Hi Guys,

I have not set a snatch PR in 6-8 weeks. I don't get what is going wrong. Here is a video of me doing 95% today. I tried 2 singles at 80, 2 at 85, 2 at 90, and 2 at 95. I failed 50% of the reps, as usual. I actually power snatched the rep at 80. I caught it super high, almost legs locked out.

My snatch does not feel consistent. I feel like I get a decent pull but feel very weak in the catch. I lose it infront of me most of the time with the odd time losing it behind me.

This video looks super easy, but I throw on 10 pounds and I can't catch it worth shit. Sometimes I even cant get under it.

What que am I missing?

Max Bernosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Istvan Samayoa

My biggest concern would be that when you start, your chest is is basically parallel with the ground, as a result, on the heavier weights you probably aren't able to keep the bar close enough to get underneath.

The second issue would be the catch itself, the way you force your neck out, you force your chest down which means more of the weight is being carried by your shoulders which become increasingly difficult with heavy weight.

Keep your chest up at all time, and you will keep be able to keep that bar over your centre of gravity, which leads to making the heavier lifts.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Max Bernosky

Thanks for the advice! Today I did the exact same weight from the blocks for about 7 reps and most felt like shit. I missed half of them. My last 2 reps I decided to film. I made one and missed one, as usual. Check the video below.

The one I missed, this is exactly how I miss 99.9% of my lifts. How do I avoid it?

The one I made, it felt like shit, especially standing up. I lean super far forward so I don't lose it and I have to chase it. How do I avoid it?

My chest looks up in both attempts. Is there something else I am missing?

I want 100kg super bad! lets help me get there sooo close!

Max Bernosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Keith Miller

I would start focusing on making this technique change consistent with 75-80% first. Then you can start applying it to the heavier attempts!! Your biggest issue is as you said, you're not consistent. Therefore, your body is not learning and repeating good technique!!

Oh, and it's not the end of the world to not PR in 6-8 weeks. Get more consistent with medium intensity weights and your max attempts will go up.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Aaron Anderson

Are your shoulders/triceps tight when you start? Your upper back looks a little "humped over" in the first video. Better in the second but it's hard to tell.
Aaron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

The bar and your weight immediately move forward as you break the floor. Move the bar back and move your weight back to your heels right away and keep it there throughout the pull. Move the bar back into your hips rather than moving your hips into the bar.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote