Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Timothy Plunkett

Default Snatch Form

I get so many damn things I think I could do to make it better that I need to just ask someone who knows and then work those exact things. Please feel free to make fun of all of my weird tics and pre lift movements as well as my lack of mobility.

Thank you so much for all you do. I'd be lost w/out the resources and information you provide!
Timothy Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
carlos cruz

your video is set on private, I can't watch it.
carlos cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Timothy Plunkett

Default errrr... yeah.

yeah, i'm special when it comes to youtube. in that, I don't know how to use it. that should work now. any feedback is appreciated, even that which mocks.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Keith Miller

You're banging the bar away from you in the second pull. Watch the vid, right after your hip bump, you need to keep that bar much closer to you, don't let it get away from you. Think of trying to keep your thumbs running up along your body until you get under and catch!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Timothy Plunkett

Default Thanks Keith ..

Makes sense. I can feel that ... literally ... as I have started to get bruised. Thing is ... it wasn't always this way. I'm not sure how I developed this smashing.

My biggest hint was that I keep jumping forward to complete the lift. Or the bruising. Ha.

Well, now to attempt to FIX it.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Think of moving the bar back into your hips rather than moving your hips into the bar. Relax your arms and focus on engaging your lats instead to push the bar in against your body, and as you transition under, pull the elbows up and out.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Timothy Plunkett

Thanks for the help folks. I'm heading back to lighter weights and more bar work to try and rectify the banging situation.

To give some background/clarity my max snatch is 205# and my max power snatch is 195# and my max OHS is 255#. I miss heavy snatch attempts forward (always miss forwards, 1/100 are backwards) and land in my toes (after jumping forward) on snatches. I find this to be LESS the case w/ the power snatch and I do notice I bang less (well, it hurts me less) ... perhaps it is why my power snatch is so close to the snatch?

Obviously my issue is hitting the bar away with the hips and chasing. My assumption is that I want my energy going more vertical & less horizontal?

In an attempt to get the bar closer & get the elbows high and outside I've started working the tall snatch. For example I will do 3 shrugs + 1 tall snatch x 3 x 5 when warming up.
From the pockets or the tall snatch I can get more 'vertical' and slam the bar less with my hips. I don't jump forward & have a tendency to land weighted midfoot. Simply put, everything feels way better. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it feels awesome.

The issue is, even moving to mid thigh (especially when moving to top of the knees) in the hang I find myself bashing at the bar w/ my hips. I'm not expecting it to magically change over night as I've probably been doing this for the past year ... so correcting it will take time. I understand the concept of engaging the lats more as Greg suggested ... and I try my damndest but I worry that I just reinforce the poor movement when I go to the hang and the bang occurs so I've started to avoid it.

Sorry for the wordiness. I am simply frustrated that I can bear a certain amount of weight over head, get a certain amount of weight more than high enough to theoretically snatch it ... but am foiled by poor technique.
Is the tall snatch a good place to be starting? I've been working in the muscle snatch (light, in warmup complexes) to work the pattern and keep the bar tight as well.
Blocks? Power only?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the novel.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Josh Hernandez

I think the best thing you can work on is cleaning up your first pull. I think you do a lot of things right but without that good first pull, it's kind of hard to fix it later. I'm 100% with what Greg said. Pull the bar in with your lats. I think you should pull in as soon as you pull it off the floor. Check out Ilyan's bar path

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4raHhtz4Ss

And here's yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64NeX...ature=youtu.be

I think if you pull it in as soon as you come off the floor you'll have the bar in a much better place and you won't bang it away as much. And Greg really hit the nail on the head: pull the bar to you, not hips to the bar and loosen up your arms. If you really work on anything, I would drill that first pull up to the knees and make sure you stay over the bar and keep it close to your body. With your numbers, I think you can hit 100k pretty easily.
Josh Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Greg Everett
Administrator

Often the forward jumping is less of a problem w a power snatch than a snatch because w the snatch you're more focused on elevating the bar (i.e. getting things moving vertically) and on the snatch you're more focused on getting under it, which can mean that you end up cutting the extension short or not continuing to drive w the legs all the way through the extension for fear of slowing down your transition at the top.

As Josh said, practice the first pull, don't just do only hang or block lifts. Halting snatch deadlifts and pulls or complexes with both can be really helpful. On halting DLs, halt w the bar at the hip - practice moving the bar back off the floor and keeping it as close to your thighs as possible until it comes into full contact at the hips. When you get comfortable with this, you can do complexes w halting DL + snatch.

You can also try power snatch + snatch - on the snatch, make sure you're pulling the same way and still trying to turn the bar over and secure it overhead as high as you can, but then continuing smoothly into the squat (note, this doesn't mean over-pulling, it just means don't dive down into a squat and put yourself farther down then where you need to be to meet the bar).

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
Timothy Plunkett

Default Thanks!

Josh & Greg,

Thanks a ton for all the help, I truly appreciate it! I'm going to plug away and see what I can get.

Thanks again,

Tim