Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Michael Vaccaro

Default Weight classes?

Hey guys. I just signed up and have been searching through the forums here for a little. I have been dedicated to a class 2 weightlifting program for about 3 months or so now and have done one competition. I am normally about 69kg, but am wondering if it would benefit me to drop to the 62kg weight class. Are there any benefits besides the fact I would be a few kilos away from being a class 1 lifter if I dropped weight... I haven't found much about weight classes besides what totals you should have in each and how to program for each (from bob takanos book. Just ordered Greg Everett's book). I really want to start competing more often. Thanks guys.
Michael Vaccaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Michael,

I would recommend remaining at -69kg. The benefit is the increased ability to recover and strength gains you'll see. From your verbage, it sounds like you're relatively new to the sport. You're going to see incredible gains, both in strength and size, so don't drop weight for immediate results. If this is something you want to continue doing, keep a long-term propsective. Most of all, ENJOY the experience!

Before I started weightlifting and then competing, I was a wrestler. I loved the sport; needless to say, I was always cutting weight. Regardless of my passion for the sport, I was physically, emotionally, and mentally drained as the season progressed. I couldn't be happier now with the opportunity to focus on strength gains and, if mass comes as a result (which it is and will continue to do so), then so be it. I started as a -94kg (weighing roughly 91-93 kg naturally), then began a dedicated program that bumped me up to -105kg while naturally weighing 103kg. Your weight shouldn't determine if you should compete. The experience you'll gain from competing is much more valuable as you progress in the sport.

My additional advice would be to eat as cleanly as possible -- you want the weight gain to be good weight, not lard.

I hope this helps you.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Michael Vaccaro

Thanks for the response. I wanted to hear that. Just wasn't sure. I've always played lacrosse. Never needed to worry about weight classes! I usually eat very clean on a vegan diet, but sometimes I'll have some meat. Like I said I have been doing olympic style weightlifting for 3 months religiously and have made some nice gains. Just need to fine tune technique. Once again. Thanks for the information.

Mike V.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Thomas Brenden

My initial reaction to this was to lift in whichever weight class you lift the most weight in... Too simple? Ha
Thomas Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Michael Vaccaro

Haha I agree. I read into things to much so I was just wondering what others thoughts were on dropping weight classes. I think it will be more rewarding for my to stay at 69 but I think I could lean out a bit more and make it in the 62
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Tamara Reynolds

Well, some of it may depend on your goals and your current numbers. If, for example, you are trying to qualify for a national meet, being a 62 could be a HUGE advantage. The QT for 2013 Nationals is 184 for 62s and 219 for the 69s. This is why one of my female lifters cut to 48. QT for the AO was 91 for 48s and 118 for 53s. That's, um, significant.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Michael Vaccaro

thats kind of what im getting at... I really want to compete nationally, but is it worth it to drop weight to do it... I am still getting my technique down, but i have made pretty big gains in the 3 months or so i have been able to really dedicate to weightlifting. my totals in training right now is 174...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Well, it just depends if you can actually cut weight and still feel strong. I still recommend staying at -69kg, but everyone here has great points, too.

I would advise you to continue working out as you do and seeing how your body reacts (i.e., weight gain, strength development) since you're still new. Your numbers are going to continue to rise, and you don't want to limit your growth because you're worried about your weight. You might be a solid -69kg if you train correctly, recover correctly, and eat just as well.

You can continue to train and compete as often as possible with whatever national meet you have in mind (like the American Open). Since the American Open just finished, you literally have another year where you can fit four or five different meets that will help you gauge where you are, see if you can cut weight or stay where you are, and attempt to get that qualifying total. Like Tamara pointed out, the gap in qualifying total is huge between -62kg and -69kg, and you're current total is right there in order to qualify as a -62kg. However, you also have another full year of working out to fill out/grow. It may be really hard to cut down by then when your goal is to always be stronger to snatch and clean and jerk more -- muscle growth/weight gain will be an inevitable part of that training, especially if you're new to the movements. Next year is also not the end if you don't make it.

Just my take on it -- I hope this helps you in some way.

- Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Michael Vaccaro

Awesome advice guys! I definitely do not want to get ahead of myself! Thanks a lot.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Tamara Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vaccaro View Post
Awesome advice guys! I definitely do not want to get ahead of myself! Thanks a lot.
I had a new female lifter cut from 69 to 63 last year. From July to October, she cut at least 6 kilos of bodyweight. Her squats essentially stayed the same, but she managed to put 13 kilos on her snatch and 18 kilos on her clean and jerk in that time period. So, being relatively new at lifting is also an "advantage."

What I tell my lifters is not to worry about bodyweight until your lifts are actually near the QT. So, I have a ton of recreational lifters who will NEVER worry about bodyweight for local meets. But, we also have multiple lifters who have qualified for national meets, and outside of my one superheavy male, we start thinking about it as their numbers get closer to qualifying.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote