Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Scott Keefer

Default Check These Lifts Out

Hello All:

First post here so a little background information.

New to weightlifting, and a gym in my town recently got rubber weights so I left my old gym and moved in at the new gym.

I am also 22, and ~195 at the moment.

Can your guys give me any adivice and what I should work on in the classic lifts and the squat.

Below I will try to embed a video of my workout acouple days ago the lifts are not in order so you will notice the forum gets better and then worse. After each video I looked at the tape and made alittle changes as what I thought I should do.

These changes were to keep the bar tighter, stay over the bar longer, weight distribution, and be less virtical when the bar is at my knees.

Who know how well I was able to do these things though, or if they are even right.

Also my best lifts:

205 lbs clean.

115 lbs snatch.

Around a 365 squat at the same debth that is in the video.
Scott Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Scott Keefer

The weight in the video is just 95 lbs, I am reseting and trying to learn the timing, tempo, and positions better before I really try to pull.

I am squat jerking becaue I want alittle better strength over head and balance.

Also I am powering some of the lifts because I was pretty tiried, I usally am alittle faster getting under the bar and I try to catch the bar at full depth, no matter the weight.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Scott Keefer

It doesnt look as if the YouTube link went through so if some one can embed it will be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Xhj6odJ4g&edit=vd
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Richard Bendekovic

Scott, I am not qualified to comment on your technique, but for someone new to the lifts you move very well, very athletic. My advice to you is get in front of a qualified coach as soon as possible. This forum is helpful for sure but the learning curve really flattens out with live feedback from a knowledgeable coach. Might not be the easy for you to do, it was not for me. No matter how you proceed you look like a guy with a ton of potential.
Richard Bendekovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Scott,

I agree with Richard. You do move very well, and getting front of a coach will help you tremendously. You have a few lifts where things look great. Just remember to keep sweeping the bar into you, being patient before you initiate that second pull (you can see when you aren't by the slight forward jump on some of those lifts), and keeping your eyes straight forward. In some of the lifts, you had a tendency to look down, particularly in the snatch. I promise you that your feet will always be there, just keep the eyes forward -- the bar will follow wherever the eyes go. Other than that, you're flexibility looks great and positions are spot on -- very promising!

Keep up the great work. I hope the little pieces I gave you help. If there's anything else I can do or answer, let me know!

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Scott Keefer

First off thanks both of you for the feed back.

The only real technique work I have ever gotten is from watching YouTube videos, wether it be Cali Strength, MDUSA, or Catalyst Athletics.

These videos are really what got me into weightlifting, as the lifts are just to bad ass and explosive to not learn.

The funny thing is I love in Mansfield Ohio and I go to school in Akron Ohio, and Daniel Bells gym is right down the road. I plan in stoping in some weekend once I graduate, I have already contacted him through Pendlay Forum.

I am exited for this, as like you guys said it will help out a great deal.

Thank you guys for the advice.

One more thing can you guys tell me what lifts you think look the best so I can try try to replicate those.

I think the first snatch, I think at 1:30, although I need to keep bar closer and stay tighter.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Richard Bendekovic

I would not try to replicate any of those lifts, save the videos so you can have something to look back on in six months. Instead get to Dan Bell's and replicate the great lifters he is sure to have there. Just being around guys like that make you better, especially the speed in which they move. Also, you can see accomplished lifters employing the split jerk and give it a try, I think you will find it more balanced at the heavier weights. If you really want to take on these lifts and have a guy like Dan Bell just down the road, do what ever you can to get to there, skip class, take another loan, whatever.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Scott Keefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bendekovic View Post
I would not try to replicate any of those lifts, save the videos so you can have something to look back on in six months. Instead get to Dan Bell's and replicate the great lifters he is sure to have there. Just being around guys like that make you better, especially the speed in which they move. Also, you can see accomplished lifters employing the split jerk and give it a try, I think you will find it more balanced at the heavier weights. If you really want to take on these lifts and have a guy like Dan Bell just down the road, do what ever you can to get to there, skip class, take another loan, whatever.

Thanks for the feedback man.

The reason I am squat jerking is just so I learn some better balance and some better strength over head, which would not hurt.

I plan to go up there sometime it will just be here in a little while until get done with school, and get done with family things.

I know it will help a lot just to be there and see people move, but until then I will post on here and just eye ball them myself, which I know isn't the best.

Here is some new lifts from today too.

The cleans are anywhere from 115-185. I hit a semi squat jerk with 145, and a clean of 185 in last clip.

Thanks for the feedback the advice is appreciated.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1auy_Plfu0&edit=vd

Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Scott Keefer

Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Richard Bendekovic

Just kidding about the skipping class thing. Get to the gym when you can, life comes first. I just get a bit excited about live training from top coaches like Dan Bell. I spent many hours reading about the lifts, watching videos, posting videos and then going to my garage and trying to emulate. It served as a great pastime and adequate training. Then I had the good fortune to start working with a top level lifter and coach (in group setting), Isaac Morillas in Madrid, Spain. And even though, due to language differences, I can't take full advantage of his instruction it has made a huge difference. He does not demonstrate often with a loaded bar but one day at a body weight of about 71kg. he power cleaned 100 kg., fairly light for him, and watching, up close and live, his set-up, concentration and especially speed at which the bar moved from the ground to his shoulders was a real education. And although I had previously lifted with a CrossFit Games competitor, this redefined speed. Anyway, I noticed you holding the bottom position of a couple of snatches, that is something strongly encouraged by Greg Everett, so good for you. You seem to be jumping all over the place in your set-up and progressions, maybe by design. The below link might help give you some consistency. I am a huge fan of Catalyst Athletics and Greg Everett, and it is the only weightlifting source of information from which I have actually purchased training tools. I used Greg Everett's DVD to start learning the lifts. So I hope this is not a breach of etiquete but you may find this link from another coach helpful. It is a snatch progression this highly credentialed coach uses as warm-up for accomplished lifters and drills it to his beginners. This link is Part 1 of 4 and you should be able to find the other 3 parts easily.

http://youtu.be/40vSMTQHV0o

I had to throw this in because Isaac is a great guy. The 2009 European Championships.