Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Michael Young

Default Help choosing program

I will be starting a new cycle in June and need help deciding which program to follow from the CA Book of Programs. For the record I’m 45 y/o, 180 lb, lifting for about a year (uncoached), 1RM’s are (in pounds), SN 147; C&J 180; BS 265; FS 225; PS 125; PC 160. I have pretty decent flexibility and am not dealing with any injuries, knees are just fine.

Four days a week, 1-2 hours per, is about all I can afford.

I’d say my biggest struggle (besides being a weak ass ) is the clean. I have just never got a feel for it, the first pull especially. My technique isn't complete crap, but… well, you be the judge (please judge, any input would be appreciated). My goal is to compete. Pretty silly with the above numbers, I know, but what the heck, I’m doing it anyways.

I have really hit a wall here. I've come to the conclusion that doing a Bulgarian-ish program for an uncoached newb at my age is probably not the best route.

All the programs look great, but I’m wondering if there may be one that’s best for someone in my circumstance. Has anyone been in my shoes, or coached someone in my shoes and have success with one of the programs?

Sorry for the longwindedness, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael Young is offline   Reply With Quote