Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Eddie Paz

Default Form Check for some beginners

Hi a mate of mine lives in a rural area with no qualified coaches nearby. He is trying to teach himself some basics and sent me these videos. I was wondering if he could get a form check so he knew what to work on?

Eddie Paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Vythand Alagappan

Overall it doesn't look too bad but there are some issues that I saw. First of all, on the jerk he seems to dip forward a bit instead of keeping his torso upright and the dip also looks a bit excessive, to the point of it being too slow. With his clean he seems to be pulling it off the floor so quickly that he is decelerating through the rest of the pull. On the snatch he's swinging the bar out making more of a "C" rather than keeping the bar close to his body. In the last video you can see that he has an early arm bend during the second pull. He may also be landing with his feet too far apart which is causing his knees to roll inward. Obviously don't try to fix all of that at the same time but fixing those things should hopefully improve his lifts. Hope that helps!
Vythand Alagappan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Blake Barnes

He's not getting full extension in the clean or the snatch. He needs to open his body up and push through the ground as long as possible.

On the jerk, the dip may just be a tad forward. My main concern is when he splits he's leaning forward and putting too much weight on the front leg. The weight looks light for him in these videos so it may not affect him but when the load gets heavier this will become an issue.

On the snatch, he's breaking his elbows a little too soon. He needs to turn his elbows out before he even lifts the bar from the floor and keep them out throughout the 3rd pull rather than tracking them backwards.

Additionally, on both the snatch and the clean, he's ripping the bar off of the floor to quickly. He needs to bring the bar up slower on the 1st pull and then explode into the 2nd pull as he reaches full extension.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
He's not getting full extension in the clean or the snatch. He needs to open his body up and push through the ground as long as possible.

On the jerk, the dip may just be a tad forward. My main concern is when he splits he's leaning forward and putting too much weight on the front leg. The weight looks light for him in these videos so it may not affect him but when the load gets heavier this will become an issue.

On the snatch, he's breaking his elbows a little too soon. He needs to turn his elbows out before he even lifts the bar from the floor and keep them out throughout the 3rd pull rather than tracking them backwards.

Additionally, on both the snatch and the clean, he's ripping the bar off of the floor to quickly. He needs to bring the bar up slower on the 1st pull and then explode into the 2nd pull as he reaches full extension.
This was exactly what I saw, too!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Rich Kite

A big thing for me that I saw was the difference in reps regarding the set up for the clean, of which I imagine is the same in the Snatch also. As he resets his position at the "get set" position, in one of the lifts his shoulders are in front of the bar, the next over if not slightly behind.

By rushing the initial set-up of the lift you are ultimately going to be changing the pull continuously. As a beginner this is actually a good thing in some cases as you will slowly teach yourself the ideal position for yourself (if you listen to your body). However, you need to take more time in preparation for the lifts, to realise where it is you feel the strongest.

Also, agree to other statements, not finishing the pull, tempo of lift is off, to much use of the arms. Just be patient with the lift, if you hit all the key positions... it will all go beautifully

Keep the lifting going, I imagine in months time the next videos will be completely different
Rich Kite is offline   Reply With Quote