Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Zach Gray

Default How would you respond to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cce9y...YgYCvw&index=3
Zach Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
David Boyle

that is a tough one..I didn't watch the whole video...getting ready for work now...but his intro has some logic.

training athletes at the high level...you can't afford to get them injured in the weight room... As a strength and conditioning coach, your job and reputation could possibly be on the line....if they get injured on the field of play...the strength and conditioning coach won't be responsible...

with that being said....starting them off light and working the lifts into their program and keeping an ever vigilant eye on your athletes...I don't see these high level guys getting hurt snatching the bar or cleaning 60kg.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Matthew Beals

*Safety
I quick google turns up this:
http://www.velocitysp.com/multimedia...e_Safety-3.pdf

Scroll down to the 4th page to see where weightlifting rates in terms of safety relative to other activities, including powerlifting and other weight training.

He's just flashing scary pictures.

*Bad technique
.... is bad technique. Get a decent coach?

*"65% of injuries were to shoulders, low back and knees"
Probably the majority of injuries in any sport. These are the parts of the body which are most mobile and subject to the most stress -- except for maybe elbows in throwers and golfers.

*Translation to sport
His points aren't even valid... and later he argues for dynamic lifts. How can dynamic lifts translate to sport and not Olympic lifts?

*Heavy weights can't be moved fast
Weightlifters train to lift the heaviest weight possible, an athlete training for speed and power should obviously work a different part of the Force x Acceleration equation.... ie use lighter weights and the power variations of the lifts.

He obviously has a strong personal bias.
Matthew Beals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Aaron Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Beals View Post

He obviously has a strong personal bias.
Yeah.
Aaron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Blair Lowe

Commonly held opinions by many of the Powerlifting world.

Some things can be said:

Snatches can put the elbow and shoulder under stress.

It's known that missed cleans can end up being really bad sprains.

Is it really worth the risk for reward?

For some sports and due to how much training time you have, I don't think it is.

While I might think it's neat to have a gymnast train cleans and jerks and snatches, I do not feel it's all that necessary. Probably the same could be said for pitchers or quarterbacks.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post

While I might think it's neat to have a gymnast train cleans and jerks and snatches, I do not feel it's all that necessary. Probably the same could be said for pitchers or quarterbacks.
The same could be said for just about anyone really other than with an interest in Olympic weightlifting.

I profess I still haven't watched the video though.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Richard Bendekovic

In the last five seasons the University of Tennessee football team has a record of 12-28 in the SEC. I would say the reward is worth the risk. He articulates a laundry lists of benefits and uses Olympic level lifters injury with one example and some vague references. Accurately states bad technique is the primary cause of injury. His athletes are high level, top of the food chain type athletes. If a coach can't teach these type of athletes power cleans and hang power cleans in a very short period of time there is a problem beyond the scope of his presentation.
Richard Bendekovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Zach Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post

See this is where American coaches (I say coaches because I know of some sport coaches not allowing the strength coaches to snatch with their players out of fear) are wrong in my opinion, or a number of them anyway.

They are always so scared of hurting their athletes when maybe just maybe, snatching with a pitcher would actually enhance their ability to ward off injuries from sport. I know of strength coaches that will only do pulls with basketball players because they don't want to hurt their wrists.

The guy mentioned coach/athlete ratio's and that certainly could be an issue at some smaller schools but at UT that should be a non issue. Hire as many strength coaches as you need.

But to me the idea of not doing snatches with pitchers or quarterbacks is crazy. Javelin throwers snatch a ton, and the shoulder is easily one of the most important parts of the body to a javelin thrower. Are they exposing themselves to injury or are they strengthening themselves for the demand of their sport? I think the latter.
Zach Gray is offline   Reply With Quote