Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Andrew Kerwin

Default Snatch and Clean DL critique

Been awhile since I've posted
Especially a snatch..

(~71kg bw)
The snatch is at 77kg, current PR is 79kg.

I think the third pull got away from me a little bit probably because of not completely finishing? Either way just curious as to any thoughts on the snatch because I think it's a pretty decent save despite that third pull. Please note I use the superman pull when I snatch.

Clean DL is at 80% of my current 5RM. I've recently gained a little more mobility (generally every where) so I have been really trying focus on evaluating my positions and getting tension on and in the right places (sitting in the hips more, turning on the posterior chain and keeping the arch as best I can with a tight upper back), I still want to progress with the ability to arch and I do have a bit of a ways to go but I was wondering what you guys see as far as positions are concerned?

Thanks for the help!!

Andrew Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

Well I'm not exactly sure how the superman pull is supposed to be done but I have an idea. I know you're trying to bring the bar in super close on the 1st Pull but I feel like you're shooting your hips up way too much. You can still keep the bar close without dramatically elevating the hips. I do notice that you start with your hips a little lower than usual, which is fine, and your hips may move up a little sooner that your chest but I feel like it doesn't need to be that significant. When the bar reaches the knee your torso is almost perfectly parallel to the floor.

Try to keep you chest up more on the 1st Pull. Remember, you want the bar to go UP. There is just too much horizontal movement/weight-shift going on on the 1st and 2nd Pull and that's what's making the 3rd pull so difficult causing the bar to crash on you in the bottom. You kind of jump out of frame so it's hard to see the 3rd Pull but I can definitely see the bar crash. Keep that chest up more in the beginning and that should help clean up the rest of the movement. Try to keep the torso more like the DLs in the second video.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Andrew Kerwin

Sorry for the late reply.

Focused on keeping the chest up more for the snatch. I actually had to go with a slightly wider stance to make this feel correctly but it made my foot work for the catch more consistent so I was happy about that. I think it generally changes the timing in my pull now, so I'm going to have to continue playing with it in order to make adjustments correctly.

Had a hard session today (couldn't focus) which was upsetting because it was supposed to be my max out day. I'll try to drop a video of the changes soon. Thanks Blake!
Andrew Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote