Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Street fighting skills

Ok, so apparently around my neighborhood there's a lot of big ass dudes that get all boozed up and start ripping the heads off in innocent bystanders because they get beer muscles. I'm in way better shape than any of these guys and might even be able to give them a fight if I dared to make a stand, but the truth is that they are tall, big, and can hit like trucks. My basic question is what type of combat sport should I get into that will allow me to cause these meat-heads a rude awakening? I'm tired of them picking on innocent people. The next time they get into a bar fight and start beating on the nearest 120 lb nerd I want to be able to teach them a good old fashioned lesson. Any suggestions on the best combat sport that will allow me to take one of these guys out fast and hard?
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Robert McBee

I suggest the Scottish martial art, 'FuckYu'. Its mostly headbutting and then kicking the other guy when he's on the ground.*

*paraphased from the Mike Myers classic "So I Married an Axe Murderer"
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
kevin mckay

Dog brothers + led pipe or take bjj if you think it would one on one
http://www.dogbrothers.com/
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...brothers&hl=en
Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Safwan Ahmed

All you need...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y
Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Jamila Bey

Default Hijack

But what if you are the 120# nerd? What system then?

And what systems would you recommend to your lady partners, daughters and mothers who want to defend themselves?

And I'm trying to be sensitive in the phrasing here, but forgive me if I'm not.

I've recently met a number of women who are not feminine-looking and in certain areas, have problems because others wish to "bash" them. Any suggestions there?

My blessing and curse is that I'm a substantial person who doesn't appear an easy target. The down side is that if ever I'm targeted, it's gonna be by someone who has a weapons, is part of a group, or is crazy enough to be up to the challenge...
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Steve Liberati

Element of surprise. Forcefully.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Derek Simonds

Whenever I see a post like this the first thing I think of is Troll. But since we are all friends on here that could never happen.

The best martial art is one you are trained in and have confidence in using. Most bruisers like you are talking about are going to stand up and throw until you fall down than they put the boots to you. So to stand up to someone you have to at least know how to take a punch then decide how you want to handle them, standing up or going to the ground. That being said the quickest way to that level is training at some gym that offers MMA.

Most guys like this usually back off if someone steps up and finds a way to disarm the situation comfortably. If that don't work 911 on a cell phone doesn't hurt either.

I was going to post a link to the same video as Safwan. It is cheesy but Bas is right on with what he is saying.

Just be careful, you never know when you step up if someone is going to be carrying a knife, or a gun and you have to be aware that in a tough neighborhood that is always a possibility.

Jamilla I have to get ready for work but I have some thoughts on your question and will post them later.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
James Evans

Default Ok not a combat sport but...

any of the following may help:
  1. Get bitten by a radioactive spider. Develop super-Spidey powers.
  2. Witness the cold blooded execution of your parents after a trip to the theatre. Pretend to be a bat. Train like a muthalover.
  3. Be imprisoned for a crime you did not commit. Escape from a military compound. Hide out in the LA underground.

etc

Or you could just go and learn to box and get it out your system. Wanting to be Frank Castle is going to get you hurt.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Wanting to be Frank Castle is going to get you hurt.
These were my thoughts exactly but James put it more nicely and along comic book storylines.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Bad train of thought.

If these assholes do this frequently, you need to get the cops on them. That's their job, and these guys sound like legitimate menace in the neighborhood.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote