Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #21
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Unless it's some fucker punching a 90 year old in the head. Then you have my backing to tear them up.
I saw that video, that was ridiculous. All those bystanders...
Old 05-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #22
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamila Bey View Post
And what systems would you recommend to your lady partners, daughters and mothers who want to defend themselves?
Blauer SPEAR. I also really like Female Fightback. After taking the class I tested out everything they taught me against resistance with trained (MMA) fighters and about 95% of it works.

I took Impact after reading about it in Gavin DeBecker's book but it doesn't hold a candle up to Fightback and SPEAR, imo.

I really love FMA, MMA, etc. for self-defense but it takes a while to get good and not everybody wants to commit to that...
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #23
Chuck Kechter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
MMA and SPEAR.
Yael is spot on...

Blauer's SPEAR and the SBG's ISR Matrix work well together (and alone)... This would be considered the "crash-course."

From there some solid MMA (sport) training -- then using that base to branch off into (hand-held) weaponry, pistol work (gun-fu), et cetera, ad infinitum -- to the level of your interest...

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kechter View Post
From there some solid MMA (sport) training -- then using that base to branch off into (hand-held) weaponry, pistol work (gun-fu), et cetera, ad infinitum -- to the level of your interest...
I'm starting to really love taijutsu, and of course FMA is so much fun. Anything with knives and sticks...I'd say rope too but trying to keep at least one thread on this board clean.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #25
Elliot Royce

Greg,

Wake up, here. As others (presumably some of the older among us) have pointed out, you could be Chuck Norris and things can still turn bad real quick. I remember a frat party at Tufts where some townies crashed it. It was actually mostly an ROTC frat and we had Special Forces guys to help eject them. 30 minutes later and next thing I know a baseball bat is swinging in the air by my head, only to be stopped by the door frame under which I was standing. Our Special Forces instructor was knocked unconscious. Things continued outside when each side pulled a gun. Fortunately no one died that night.

To be able to protect yourself in the last resort is fine but to get the attitude that you're going to stand your ground and fight it out is stupid. My ego is big enough to stand running away from someone on the street. Sure I fight at the ice rink, but I know my opponent isn't going to pull a gun or knive or get his 5 buddies to pummel me to death.

Defend your family, your country, your life, but don't try to defend some macho sense of ego.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
Greg Everett
Administrator

all good advice so far. don't engage unless it's the last option. if you do engage, remember it's not a sport fight--no rules. you hurt quickly and get the fuck out of there. but always remember no one likes being hurt and like ego pain even less, which means shit can and will escalate very quickly and you may end up having said dudes gunning for you long term. not cool.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
Mike ODonnell

As greg said anything goes....including walking or if needed running away. It's a macho thing not to feel like a coward...but like the shaolin monks say "It takes more strength not to fight" (this of course does not include self defense of yourself or others). Do what you must.....as if you are in a hospital bed for 12 months recovering from severe injuries of any kind no one is going to ask you if you fought fair...there is no fair only survival. That and don't do something that you will regret for the rest of your life.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #28
Greg Battaglia

Yeah, you guys are right. I just get frustrated with punks who go around violating other peoples rights. Who are they to beat the hell out of someone for the moronic reason of wanting to show off their "manliness"? I guess I just feel like they need to learn a serious lesson, but after reading your posts I realize that I should leave the teaching to the police! Nevertheless, I do feel that it's important to be capable of defending myself if the situation ever calls for it. I apologize for my first post, i was a bit wired up after watching a few innocent people getting assaulted by these meat-heads at the Phillies game. Anyway, thanks for talking some sense into me.
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
Steve Shafley

Have you ever seen "Boondock Saints"?
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #30
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Have you ever seen "Boondock Saints"?
Loved that movie....classic!! But of course that stuff is best left in the movies....real life is hardly that glorious...

Greg I get frustrated at everything I see on the news....so I stopped watching....as for punks and people running around doing shitty stuff....I honestly believe in Karma....what comes around does go around....most those people end up having a pretty short life span....or have a misrable life....