Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
hollis petri

Default 24HR IF w/Double work out on refeed days

Hi thar, Seems like my plans dovetail a bit with some current threads so i was hoping to get some input. I was going to embark on a 24HR IF EOD eating plan w/double workouts on the refeed days. My goals in descending order of priority for the next 3 months are: Fast loss, strength gains, GPP. Other factors are Im 41 and thought the double workout days followed by fast days with complete rest may be beneficial.

Mon - Rest, Fast until 6pm (24hr fast)
Tue AM: TB Maximal Strength*, PM: Sprints, Eat until 6PM
Wed Rest, fast until 6pm
Thu - AM: Complexes, PM: Mixed Effort MTB Ride, Eat until 6PM
Fri Rest/fast until 6, PM: Biceps day: very high reps/low weight/12oz curls for time.
Sat - AM: TB Maximal Strength *, PM: Hike or run or MTB ride/Mixed, Eat until 6PM
Sun Depends , fast until 6 if total rest day, or earlier if I wind up hiking/biking/etc.

* ala starting strength except super setting exercises and minimizing rest a tad to keep pace up.

My questions are:

1. Any opinions on the reefed/double work out days followed by 24hr fast/rest days?
2. Not sure if my AM work out should be the strength work out or the metcon/endurance work out. On one hand after a fasting/rest day it may be good to first do the strength workout where it may take advantage of some GH response (talking over my head at the moment) in the morning and I may be fresher. On the other hand maximal strength work outs are generally considered to be easier in the afternoon. Any opinions?
3. Any other glaring brain freeze decisions I may have made?
4. Anybody think I Should be doing 3 days of maximal strength work instead of subbing middle day for complexes like I currently have ?

Thanks in advance
Hollis
hollis petri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis petri View Post
Hi thar, Seems like my plans dovetail a bit with some current threads so i was hoping to get some input. I was going to embark on a 24HR IF EOD eating plan w/double workouts on the refeed days. My goals in descending order of priority for the next 3 months are: Fast loss, strength gains, GPP. Other factors are Im 41 and thought the double workout days followed by fast days with complete rest may be beneficial.

Tue AM: TB Maximal Strength*, PM: Sprints, Eat until 6PM
Wed Rest, fast until 6pm
Thu - AM: Complexes, PM: Mixed Effort MTB Ride, Eat until 6PM
Fri Rest/fast until 6, PM: Biceps day: very high reps/low weight/12oz curls for time.
Sat - AM: TB Maximal Strength *, PM: Hike or run or MTB ride/Mixed, Eat until 6PM
Sun Depends , fast until 6 if total rest day, or earlier if I wind up hiking/biking/etc.

* ala starting strength except super setting exercises and minimizing rest a tad to keep pace up.

My questions are:

1. Any opinions on the reefed/double work out days followed by 24hr fast/rest days?
2. Not sure if my AM work out should be the strength work out or the metcon/endurance work out. On one hand after a fasting/rest day it may be good to first do the strength workout where it may take advantage of some GH response (talking over my head at the moment) in the morning and I may be fresher. On the other hand maximal strength work outs are generally considered to be easier in the afternoon. Any opinions?
3. Any other glaring brain freeze decisions I may have made?
4. Anybody think I Should be doing 3 days of maximal strength work instead of subbing middle day for complexes like I currently have ?

Thanks in advance
Hollis
Hollis,

Have you been doing IF for a while on this template? I ask because if you haven't why make the big switch instead of trying to switch one thing and then switching another? It also seems like while you do have your goals sorted out of:
1. Fat Loss
2. Strength
3. GPP

Your workout schedule doesn't seem to reflect what you have down as priorities. Looking at the schedule it looks more like:

1. Strength
2. GPP
3. Fat Loss

A few months ago Alwyn Cosgrove had an excellent article on what your training should be like if you want maximal fat loss:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539
The article seems to be vague but this is what I got out of it. Utilizing your 2x/day 3 times a week.

Tue AM: Complexes or tri/superset type workout (i.e New rules of Lifting Fat Loss programs...etc), PM: Sprints(keeping the sprints anaerobic meaning less than 100m's with full rest 1:12-1:20 work/rest ratio), Eat until 6PM
Wed Rest, fast until 6pm
Thu - AM: Complexes or tri/superset type workout, PM: Mixed Effort MTB Ride(this would be the aerobic interval training), Eat until 6PM
Sat - AM: Complexes or tri/superset type workout, PM: Sprints of the anaerobic type again, Eat until 6PM

Then after a month or 2 of this move onto Starting strength and following those workouts. Unless you are a competetive athlete there is no reason you can't have a fat loss phase, then a strength phase. The complexes will see to it that your GPP is increased.

If you need complex ideas I have a couple I've gleamed from articles that are asskickers. Let me know.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Robb Wolf

Allen-
Great response...not much to add.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
hollis petri

Allen, thanks for great reply and program suggestions.

Yeah, i was trying to walk to fine line between concentrating on fat loss and strength gain by doing the max strength workouts in a speeded up/super setted fashion so they would be somewhere inbetween a complex and a "starting strength type" work out. I'm impatient and didn't want to go through a fat loss phase first before focusing on strength, but after reading your advice you've swayed me to focus on the fat loss, plus a fat loss phase works better with outdoor activities which is great because me love me some woods. So I'll do try your modified version until i reach my target weight: Probably around when a libertarian gets elected president

In regards to the IF i've done the 15-18hr daily fasts before, have yet to do the 24EOD but the recent posts regarding it got me hankering to give it a shot

I'd love to the see complexes that you like if it's not too much trouble.
Thanks Again
hollis petri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Hollis,
You might be interested in the "IF and PR update" thread that I have going currently, if you haven't already seen it.

I'm getting good fat loss (which wasn't expected and plenty welcomed) and adding strength, my GPP is only done on weekends (1 or 2 times) and seems to be maintaining and maybe slightly improving. This may seem to fit what you want to do.

I think that a proper strength routine plus paleo IF will get you all the fat loss and strength you desire. The GPP can be focused on at a later date of your choosing.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

A good complex that I like:

Alwyn Cosgrove Barbell complex #1
Deadlift
Romanian DL
Barbell Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

I did it with 95# and method #1.
2 ways to do it:
1. 90 seconds rest between sets, 6,5,4,3,2,1
2. 6 reps with 4-5 set along with decreasing rest from 90s to 45s in following workouts. (You really don't want to decrease that precious 90 seconds the first time you do this!)
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote