Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #721
Margie Lempert

Yoon - it's true. There was breakdancing. David has photos.
I think I could handle Step 3 of the Windmill. What's your favorite Step?

John - ach. I knew someone would call me out on the yolks. I do eat yolks - there is no fear. In fact, there is great love of the perfectly boiled egg with a slightly runny yolk. But sometimes I want the meal to be more about protein than anything else, know what I'm sayin'?

Have you ever eaten higher than grams/bodyweight consistently?

Never fear, the Lyceum is always walking distance, not just on fridays.
Margie Lempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #722
Yuen Sohn

Great to see CFSBK back in the house! Now go pester Xuan Mai to start posting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Osorio View Post
The Lyceum primarily makes their greenbacks on Friday and Saturday nights so us lowly Xfitters get the boot. I'm working at my other job on nights where i'm not at CFSBK, Sundays might be an ideal time for a mid-late afternoon O-lifting. Warning, we don't have as nice barbells as LBH and there are no formal platforms. If there was enough interest in this program i could see investing in said equipment. (Investing in it sooner than later, that is)
No fancy barbells needed. Just a common desire to lift heavy stuff, really

Actually, while I've got my favorite bar at LBH, I try not to get too attached to any one piece of equipment -- you really never know what sort of bars will be available to warmup with at a meet.

If anything, we can make it BYOB (Bring your own barbell). I've got a decent one at home
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #723
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie Lempert View Post
Yoon - it's true. There was breakdancing. David has photos.
I think I could handle Step 3 of the Windmill. What's your favorite Step?
Sadly, I'm still trying to master step 1. I got the whole lying-flat-on-your-back thing, but once he starts moving his legs and stuff, he loses me.

My goal is to do a windmill on the platform the next time I bomb out at a meet (hopefully, there won't be a next time of course).
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #724
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Osorio View Post
Breakfast:
4 eggs, 2-3 cups kale, fish oil, h20, Gala apple

rating:
Here we are!

The Lyceum primarily makes their greenbacks on Friday and Saturday nights so us lowly Xfitters get the boot. I'm working at my other job on nights where i'm not at CFSBK, Sundays might be an ideal time for a mid-late afternoon O-lifting. Warning, we don't have as nice barbells as LBH and there are no formal platforms. If there was enough interest in this program i could see investing in said equipment. (Investing in it sooner than later, that is)

Where are you living, John?
Rough barbells are ok. All they need to do is be straight and spin.

I'm off the Clinton-Washington C train. It's a dead spot for real gyms. There's a FT Greene Crunch, and a Bed Stuy Y, but not much else. Need something local that can do heavy. Might just invest in a couple dumbbells I can adjust up to 100+ lbs each and play with them. Carry them up and down the stairs...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #725
John Alston

Quote:
John - ach. I knew someone would call me out on the yolks. I do eat yolks - there is no fear. In fact, there is great love of the perfectly boiled egg with a slightly runny yolk. But sometimes I want the meal to be more about protein than anything else, know what I'm sayin'?

Have you ever eaten higher than grams/bodyweight consistently?

Never fear, the Lyceum is always walking distance, not just on fridays.
Isn't there something in the yolk that makes the protein "work" better, or more complete? Like the stinky sulfur? I dunno.

I've never gone over 1g per pound consistently though I have managed to do close to that for a while, I think. I'd guess the 120-150 gram range I've done a lot, but getting to over 200 is a lot for me. I bet I'm at ~130 for today safely so far.
Yes the Lycaeum ain't far, but I don't like most WODs. You guys got farmer's bars? Big tires to flip?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #726
Margie Lempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Isn't there something in the yolk that makes the protein "work" better, or more complete? Like the stinky sulfur? I dunno.

I've never gone over 1g per pound consistently though I have managed to do close to that for a while, I think. I'd guess the 120-150 gram range I've done a lot, but getting to over 200 is a lot for me. I bet I'm at ~130 for today safely so far.
Yes the Lycaeum ain't far, but I don't like most WODs. You guys got farmer's bars? Big tires to flip?
Yeah yeah yeah. You are right about the yolk, I know. I am properly shamed.

So much protein. Sometimes I try to get near bodyweight, which I think is 122 or someting, and that can feel oppressive. Can't imagine going for 177. Course, I can't get into the shake thing.

I hear you on the WODs. David likes to get max effort in there when he can (like tonight, for example!), above and beyond CF, so this is good. And I believe a regular O-lifting program is in the works.

Uhhhh, what's a farmer's bar? No tire. Yet. But ropes! Tug of War!
Margie Lempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #727
David Osorio

They're straight, load capacity up to 700ish, with an OK spin and not much whip.

Im looking at the budget-friendly Rogue fitness and CF economy bars for our next purchase. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #728
Yuen Sohn

Hey David,
I actually have the CrossFit Pendlay bar. Well in theory. Due to problems with repeated no-shows/lost packages by my local carrier - fuck you again, UPS - I had the bar rerouted to my coach's house.

Here's what he had to say:
Quote:
The center portion of the bar is black in color. The knurling is light to medium. The inside collars are chrome and in the wider York style. The sleeves are chrome. The bar rotates with a smooth but dampened rotation -- that is to say it spins easily, but not freely, and that is good.
I did some light work with it this weekend at his place and it felt fine. Based on the top-limit weights I was intending to use with it, Glenn recommended it.

For $179, I think it's a really sweet deal. Don't forget the 15kg women's sizes too. I'll shoot you an e-mail later tonight after practice.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #729
John Alston

Quote:
Yeah yeah yeah. You are right about the yolk, I know. I am properly shamed.

So much protein. Sometimes I try to get near bodyweight, which I think is 122 or someting, and that can feel oppressive. Can't imagine going for 177. Course, I can't get into the shake thing.

I hear you on the WODs. David likes to get max effort in there when he can (like tonight, for example!), above and beyond CF, so this is good. And I believe a regular O-lifting program is in the works.

Uhhhh, what's a farmer's bar? No tire. Yet. But ropes! Tug of War!
Shakes are lower on the list. My personal protein hiearchy is roughly:

Game/grassfed red meats, tuna steaks, salmon
Red meats and eggs
Other meats + sea life
Whole Milk
Powders

So I try to do shakes only with whole milk or some other food, which I feel is less bullshit. But who knows. One becomes acclimated to such an increase in protein but it's probably most worth it if one's goals are strength and size (or the other way around, too).
Powder is just a way to get to that next level.

Carry these around, like a farmer, or a strongman competitor:
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #730
David Osorio

I hate UPS. Before i got everything shipped the Lyceum i would always get "3rd and Final notice slips" on what i believe was really their first attempt. Getting to Maspeth by subway and bus and then getting back with exercise equipment is NO fun.

So the Pendlay bar gets the Yoon seal of approval. I was actually hesitant to get them because the price was so good. Do they have decent whip?