Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Russell Greene

I like this idea. Something I've been thinking about and am about to try is

1 minute 135 lb. thrusters
1 minute pullups
1 minute rest
for rounds

Or ripping off Diane:

1minute 245 lb. dl's
1 minute HSPU's
1 minute rest

or Elizabeth

1 minute 155-175 lb. cleans
1 minute ring dips
1 minute rest

I leave the upper body movement as prescribed since I am more in need of practice on the rhythm and endurance of them than strength.

I just broke 4 minutes on Fran and am going to use this to help me get to sub 3, in addition to a bunch of other stuff of course.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Matt Cricchio

I was very interested in this kind of training when I read the Power Bias article so I decided to incorporate it into my new cycle. I went through the majority of the "girls" and some other CF classics and attempted to make them fit the power mode. I used Robb's examples with Cindy and Helen and for the rest I cut volume as well as adding intensity and plyometrics where I thought it might work. I'm not sure if I was on the right track but I will leave that for you guys to decide-

Power Girls:

Angie: 5 rounds of 10 pull-ups, 10 push ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 squats in 20lb weight vest. 2 minute rest between rounds.

Barbara: 5 pull-ups with 20lb vest, 10 clapping push-ups, 20 GHD med ball sit-ups, 30 squat jumps. 3 rounds, rest 3 minutes between each round.

Chelsea: On the minute every minute for 10 minutes perform 5 clapping pull-ups, 10 clapping push-ups, 15 jump squats.

Cindy: 5 rounds of 5 clapping pull-ups, 10 clapping push-ups, 15 jump squats.

Jackie: 5 rounds of 200m row (damper at 7), 10 95# thruster, 6 pull ups with 20# vest. Rest 2 minutes between rounds.

Nancy: 3 rounds. Run 400m. Rest 2 minutes. 15 overhead squat 95#’s. Rest 2
minutes.

Helen: 3 rounds. Run 400m. Rest 2 minutes. 21 Kettlebell Swings. Rest 2 minutes. 12 pull ups. Rest 2 minutes.

Kelly: 5 rounds. Run 400m, rest 2 minutes. 15 box jumps to 32’ platform, rest 2 minutes. 15 wall ball shots to 15 foot target, rest 2 minutes.

Filthy 20: 20 Box jumps, 32’ platform. Rest 2 minutes. 20 weighted pull-ups 20# vest. Rest 2 minutes. 20 kettlebell swings. Rest 2 minutes. 20 step Walking Lunge, 45# bar. Rest 2 minutes. 20 GHD med ball sit-ups. Rest 2 minutes. 20 push press, 75#. Rest two minutes. 20 back extensions, 45# bar. Rest 2 minutes. 20 wall ball shots to 15 foot target. Rest 2 minutes. 20 burpee box jumps. Rest 2 minutes. 20 tuck jumps with 20# vest.

Micheal: 3 rounds. 400m run in 20# vest. Rest two minutes. 25 GHD med ball sit-ups. Rest two minutes. 25 back extensions, 45# bar. Rest two minutes

Tabata This: 4 tabata rounds of squat jumps. 2 minute rest. 4 tabata rounds of rowing at #7 damper. 2 minute rest. 4 tabata rounds of clapping pull-ups. 2 minute rest. 4 tabata rounds of GHD med ball sit-ups. 2 minute rest. 4 tabata rounds of clapping push-ups. 2 minute rest.

Karen: 3 rounds. 30 wall ball shots to 15’ target. Rest 2 minutes between rounds.
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
Robb Wolf

Matt-
I will definitely give some of those a shot! Good stuff.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Marc Moffett

Curious what you think of this one based on the filthy fifty:

30 box jumps
2 min. sprints (tabata intervals)

rest 2 min.

30 jumping pull-ups
2 min. sprints

rest 2 min.

30 wall ball shots
2 min. sprints

2 min. rest

30 burpees
2 min. sprints

2 min. rest

30 double unders
2 min. sprints

rest/finish

I was shooting for something that was all about running and jumping as conditioning for basketball. It was pretty tough to complete the sprints with adequate speed; might be better to increase the reps on excercises and decrease the number of spring intervals per time (maybe, two to three). Thoughts?
Marc Moffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
Chris Forbis

I've done tabata sprint intervals before. I don't like them, as by the 3rd or 4th round they no longer really resemble sprinting.

Maybe replace the 2 minute tabata intervals with:
Half-court back, full-court back (about 15 seconds)
30 seconds rest
Half-court back, full-court back (another 15 seconds)

Then have your 2 minutes of rest.

You could do a 100m dash for each one instead... but I really like the need to decelerate, plant, and accelerate for the half-court back, full-court back.

That will give you 10 high quality bouts of sprinting. May need to tinker with the 30 second rest in between... make sure it is long enough so you can really hammer the sprints.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Dave Van Skike

was thinking the same thing...sprints are speed work..tabata is speed endurance work....
Old 07-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #17
Marc Moffett

Thanks Chris, That seems right. Not enough time to adequately recharge on the tabata intervals, which undermines the attempt to make the whole thing a power bias workout.

Suppose we change it along the lines you suggest. The result is a triple interval structure: (1) a basic interval structure, (2) a multi-modal interval structure, (3) a basic interval structure within one or both modes.

If you keep the couplets (jump+sprint) short enough that, when you include the sub-intervals, you can really go with max effort, then the whole workout has a power bias structure: couplet-rest-couplet-rest-couplet...
Marc Moffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #18
David Gutierrez

Long time lurker, big fan of the PM ...

Background ... I try to keep with a 3 on 1 off cycle as much as possible, but it doesn’t always work. It usually jumps between 2-4 days on, 2-4 days off, then 2-4 days back on. The first day back is usually a crapshoot and the workout is scaled to compensate for a shitty sleep cycle, fatigue and poor nutrition. I'll usually cut rounds, reps or weight accordingly to allow for a bit of “reintegration”.

Because of this, I have started using the “intervals within intervals” as a way to either regulate fatigue, or maximize power output depending on the day and how I feel. I've kept it pretty simple, generally applying it to WODs where there is a run followed by a weighted exercise/gymnastic movement. Example:

5 rounds:
400m run
95 lb thrusters x 15
pull-ups x 15

If I'm feeling good, I'll usually do a 1:1, maybe 1:2 work/rest ratio (or I'll just pick something like 1 or 2 min as the standard). What I’ve noticed here is that the times will remain fairly consistent across the board, with the exception of the last 1 or 2 rounds—there I’ve noticed a significant burn out in the runs the last 100 meters. The times in the other exercises have remained steady.

If I'm not feeling as sharp, I’ll increase to a 1:2, 1:3 or full recovery between intervals. I'll usually drop the weight or cut a round off the workout as well.

So far, this has been helpful in regulating fatigue. I could use a bit more strength-specific work ... perhaps ME/OLAD integration, but that is a different topic. Not sure if the poor food/sleep cycle would result in this causing more harm than good. Either way, I am a big fan of the "intervals within intervals" concept and will start using this, as well as the power-bias influenced workouts more often. Input always welcomed.
David Gutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
Scotty Hagnas

We use the Power Bias stuff quite a bit. I detailed a whole different way to break up "Helen" a couple of weeks ago on my site:

"Speed, agility, and peak power are all important attributes to develop if we are chasing well rounded athletic development. How can we plug a bit more of this type of work into our WODs? There are many different possibilities, but one is to break a workout such as the classic “Helen” into mini rounds done in interval fashion.

“Helen”, as the traditional benchmark WOD, is three rounds for time of 400 meter run, 21 kettlebell swings, and 12 pullups. You do this as fast as possible, eventually straight thru without stopping. Under these circumstances, though, your runs will be anything but true 400m sprints. Full speed sprints will need recovery time between efforts. One way to increase the peak power of a workout such as this was outlined by Robb Wolf in an issue of the Performance Menu from last year. Basically, in this version you rest 2 minutes between each exercise. This will allow you to go pretty much all out on each exercise, knowing that you will be getting some rest. The metabolic cost by the end is even higher than if you had done the workout straight thru!

Our version here splits the workout into 9 mini rounds, with 40 seconds of rest between rounds. Each round is a 40yd zig zag sprint out and back, 7 clubbell side swings(or power bomb KB swings), and 4 pullups. I averaged about 38 seconds per round when I tried this. You rest while your partner goes thru his or her round.

The rest period will allow you to put full speed into your short runs, and crank the other drills with max power. This, like the other interval variant, delivers a potent metabolic wallop by the time you are done. Give it a try!"

We've done the dirty 30 this way, also, as well as others.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Robb Wolf

David-
Great first post and yes, sleep deprivation can crush your performance. We just took a week off over July 4th and we literally slept 12+ hrs per height the whole week. I did No training, walked into the gym and smoked stuff I was struggling with previously...one week back to our 5am wake-up and looong work days and I feel like a 3pack/day smoker.

What is nice about the way you are breaking things up is the intensity is high and the total workload is high but it is not as systemically crushing.

The joys of micro-gym/fitness publication lifestyle!

scotty-
Good stuff on the Helen modification.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote