Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
Robb Wolf

Chris-
Yea...interesting, no? I found a few communications in the medical literature about migraines, depression...a number of conditions resolving as a consequence of some time spent in ketosis.

Stuart-
That is an interesting question. I'd be inclined to think that change in metabolic state is good...for plasticity of gene expression and the episodic stressor this change introduces. An up-tick in glycolysis is a stressor but occasionally that may be a really good thing.
Really interesting question however.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
Joyce Behrendt

Have you heard of Dr. Richard K. Bernstein? He's a Type I diabetic who has lived on < 30g carbs per day and prescribes that in his book The Diabetes Solution. He's in his 70's and pretty healthy for a Type I. He feels that diabetics are entitled to normal blood sugar and will achieve that using a formula of 6-12-12 grams carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner and are able to maintain A1Cs of < 5. He recommends modest amounts of protein and no worries about fats. One person on the forum takes care of her mom. She noticed that if she added some butter to her mom's low carb meal, it helped the ratio and prevented post prandial blood sugar spikes. Here is a formula she posted (I confess I don't understand it).

Quote:
(.9 fat + .46 protein) is the ketogenic side
(.1 fat + .54 protein + 1 carb) is the glucogenic side.
Divide the ketogenic side by the glucogenic side to get the the ratio. Any number 1.5 and above denotes a ketogenic diet, a diet that will inhibit PP sugar rises.
http://www.diabetes-book.com/

We discussed the depression question and most of us feel happier, healthier and less depressed eating this way. My guess is that the study that linked depression and low carb diets may not have extended beyond the adaptation period or that the subjects had problems with depression regardless of diet.
Joyce Behrendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Robb Wolf

Joyce-
Art Devany has talked about Dr. Bernsteins book quite favorably. thanks for the reminder!

Robb's Blog
Old 06-13-2007, 03:56 AM   #14
Bo Bolund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Miller View Post
I've been experimenting with IF, primarily with a focus of health/longevity.

In addition I've been sticking to paleo foods and have been limiting my Cho intake to 2-3x per week sweet potato + fruit (100g Cho) PWO. During my feeding times, which have ran 4-9hours usually 6-8, 1-2 meals will contain some low GI fruit (for totals of around 80-100g of Cho per day before subtracting fiber), but most of my food is fibrous veggies, some protein, and copious fat. Total kcals are down slightly, but so far it isn't a problem due to the nutrient partitioning.

Problems:
1. I've had a few bloody noses since I began this. I wasn't light headed or having any other symptoms, just spontaneous nose bleeds (I think 3).

2. I'm finding myself low on energy. 2 days per week I feel great but 3-4 days per week I feel really sluggish and tired. Yesterday, I had a Cho PWO meal at around 11:30 am, and then ate until 5pm. At 6:30-8pm I was incredibly tired. I went to bed at 8:30 and woke up at 6am feeling still incredibly tired.

I didn't eat until around 11am today and actually felt pretty well after an initial 1-hour period of having a hard time waking up, which is something I rarely experience, being a morning person.

3. As I eluded to in problem 2, I have not yet felt a huge increase in energy during fasting times. Only 2x in the last two weeks did I feel great while fasting. Other times, Iíve felt weak, unfocused, and cold.

Lastly, I've been using urinalysis strips and find I can be in ketosis (trace amounts) if I eat 80-90g fibrous Cho for only 1 day. After 2 days, I have small amounts of ketones washing out.

Part of me thinks that this is a good transition period and I should try and stay in ketosis. Another part of me, and the part which at the moment seems more prudent, is for me to add a little more fruit to my feeding times and speak with my clinician(s) and some other relevant people about the dangers/benefits of me being in ketosis.

Any thoughts about my problems would be appreciated.
-Dan
I think you need to increase your carbs. I had problems with muscle weakness/fatigue on low carb diet and never had any energy to exercise.
Right now I'm on a regular diet with a warrior schedule fasting 22-23 hours every day. Since I've increased my carbs I have no problem exercising during my fast.
Bo Bolund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Bolund View Post
I think you need to increase your carbs. I had problems with muscle weakness/fatigue on low carb diet and never had any energy to exercise.
Right now I'm on a regular diet with a warrior schedule fasting 22-23 hours every day. Since I've increased my carbs I have no problem exercising during my fast.
Certainly something to tinker with. Scotty Hagnas has been intermittent fasting for over 2 years now and finds even met-cons to be doable on low carb and IF. This may reflect a very long adaptation period however.

Robb's Blog
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
Bo Bolund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Certainly something to tinker with. Scotty Hagnas has been intermittent fasting for over 2 years now and finds even met-cons to be doable on low carb and IF. This may reflect a very long adaptation period however.
It seems like some people work very well in ketosis and extreme low carb.
I tried it for almost 5 months and never felt I had energy for exercise.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Ron Nelson

I haven't suffered any of the depression or headaches until just recently. Hopefully this means a shift into some sort of ketosis. The "depression" really is general grumpiness more than anything else, but the headaches are real.
I had one yesterday even after I ate (I was good yesterday, strictly meat and salad), and I rarely get headaches.

Also, I haven't noticed any appreciable drop in energy or willingness to exercise. In fact, I can't wait to get to the gym. . .even on metcon days like today.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote