Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Jamila Bey

Default I need a taskmaster!!!

While I'm not ready to put a bag over my head and jump into a pool (HBO fans will get that), I am deeply depressed over my missing a deadline for something I was a TOTAL F*****G shoo-in for.

I need to find someone who can look at my schedule and call and e-mail me to say, "You've got that 800 word article on blah blah blah due in a week, where are you on it?" Or to call me and say, "You have ice skating lessons in an hour. You need to leave in 30 minutes."

What's the title for this? Does it exist? Is this a manager or an assistant or what? How do you people with kids do it? How did you overcome your procrastination/perfectionism/fear of failure/fear of success?

Who do I hire?
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Robert Allison

I am not looking for another job , but here are a few books that might prove useful:

The Now Habit

Getting Things Done

Overachievement

Don't let the cheesey cover of Overachievement fool you; Eliot really knows his stuff.

Productivity is often about having a system, and these books will help you create one for yourself.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

I really miss my Franklin Covey day planner.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

i believe that would be a personal assistant -- the title that pretty much covers every menial task you can think of.

you can hire this dude. seems nice:
http://www.worldpersonalassistant.com/

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Ron Nelson

I use the calendar portion of Microsoft Outlook. It has helped me keep track of my many meetings.

Yes, I have many meetings (smart asses, doubting my importance. . .fools!)

It will give you reminders when you want to get them and it has a snooze feature as well. One drawback: you have to be using the computer to get the reminders. It does sync up with most PDA's and some cell phones.

Worth a shot. Otherwise, hire the nice young man with the stylish haircut, then make him carry your sweaty gear after practice.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

You need that little Microsoft paperclip to pop up in your life for reminders....I am sure Bill Gates is working on a virtual version...god I hate that thing...

Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Allison View Post
I am not looking for another job , but here are a few books that might prove useful:

The Now Habit

Getting Things Done

Overachievement

Don't let the cheesey cover of Overachievement fool you; Eliot really knows his stuff.

Productivity is often about having a system, and these books will help you create one for yourself.
My college roommate had Eliot for a class. I believe his description was something along the lines of "self-absorbed d-bag."
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
My college roommate had Eliot for a class. I believe his description was something along the lines of "self-absorbed d-bag."
Eliot might be a great guy... or an ass. I really don't know. I am just going off the information in his book, which I thought was spot-on. YMMV.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Jamila Bey

The Now Habit, GTD and a few other books have been collecting dust on my night stand since my 05(!) resolutions...

Perhaps reading these will help.

I guess I need to give up my viewing habits... I watch probably 2 hours on Sunday night and between 5-15 minutes each other day of the week.

I'm just at wits end. I missed my deadline, went to the wrong place for an appointment tonight and on top of it am under the gun to getting hubby's b-day present. (Why can't he like hookers like a normal man? I kid folks, I kid.)

I've been crucifying myself all day about this, and it's impossible to get my other hand done... maybe I do need an assistant!
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:50 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamila Bey View Post
While I'm not ready to put a bag over my head and jump into a pool (HBO fans will get that), I am deeply depressed over my missing a deadline for something I was a TOTAL F*****G shoo-in for.

I need to find someone who can look at my schedule and call and e-mail me to say, "You've got that 800 word article on blah blah blah due in a week, where are you on it?" Or to call me and say, "You have ice skating lessons in an hour. You need to leave in 30 minutes."

What's the title for this? Does it exist? Is this a manager or an assistant or what? How do you people with kids do it? How did you overcome your procrastination/perfectionism/fear of failure/fear of success?

Who do I hire?
So you want a professional nagger?

Haha! Seriously though some of what you describe is totally what I see as nagging!

I use calendar on Yahoo! a lot, my wife and I to schedule things, you can have it setup to text your cell phone I think too.

At work I also use Outlook Calendar and sync it with my Yahoo! Calendar.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote