Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #61
Jakub Kruhlik

so just Deadlift and Press (Pavel would say Side Press)?
Jakub Kruhlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #62
Garrett Smith

Well, the idea is a pushing movement that has application to your chosen sport/activity.

The program is more complex than PTTP and 2 sets of 5 reps for 2 exercises. I don't want to describe the whole thing, I think Barry put a lot of work and thought into the book and he should get the business.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #63
Jakub Kruhlik

Oh I totally understand and I will be purchasing the book just tryin to figure out the next couple months since I will have summer break and want to figure out what I need to do to achieve my goals. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #64
Jakub Kruhlik

Barry and Garrett if you could chime in on this.

Whats a good sprint workout for after my weightlifting session? Should i just pick a distance, say 50m, and repeat it (with full rests, I'm thinking between 3-5 minutes) until my times get slower?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #65
Garrett Smith

Jakub,
I'm not the person to answer that. You might try Barry's forum at www.bearpowered.com if he doesn't answer here.

I do know the book covers the lifting (I've got that) and the ASR program covers the running (I don't have that yet).
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #66
Jakub Kruhlik

Ok thanks Garrett, ill post over there as well. One final question (sorry to be a bother ). What should my diet look like? I know Barry is all about gaining the least amount of bodyweight, so should I just stick to my Zone blocks which are at 16 right now (22/160#/5'11")?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #67
Garrett Smith

Jakub,
Maybe you want to start another nutrition thread for that question to keep this one cleaner.

Simple answer is, if you aren't gaining weight at what you're eating now, while getting good gains and recovery, then what you're doing is fine. The Zone tends to undershoot necessary calories and fat, so it likely won't work forever.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #68
Jesse Burroughs

hmm so this is prolly a little late but i would like to chime in anways haha.

I read the book and honestly wasn't that impressed. I do agree with a lot of it like that power cleans are not very good for developing power and that sprinting form is mostly natural and strenght biased. But i would like to point out that I noticed most of the athletes you used as examples seemed to be explosive naturally and had a strength deficit. Also the majority were females it seemed. My point with this is from what I have read is that most atheletes benefit from any sort of strength training. Like SS. As long as they are a novice weightlifter. So take any sprinter that is a novice weightlifter and throw him/her on a beggining weightlifting program and they will benefit. So someone like me that has pretty good strenght (Max dead at 405 for a triple, at 180 lbs) might not benefit as much from this program. Im more strenght based and am pretty weak when it comes to expolsiveness. So I would most likely benefit from more power training. Also the information in the book was well kinda scanty for the most part. Idk somethin about spending over forty dollars on a book that was about 80 pages with wide margins and large type didnt really appeal to me. Just my opinion. Granted there was some really good info and i learned some stuff but well I learned more surfing kelly braggarts site higher-faster-sports then i did reading this book. Idk i wasnt that impressed and i followed the book for about three weeks and didnt like it. Some people would benefit I beleive but as a said those gifted athletes who have a strenght deficit. Just my two cents tho. Also I should mention that I sprint and well my coaches are not very good so I have to kinda coach myself =( Pretty pathetic when I dont improve during the season but when i come back after a year my times drop by a lot. Idk its crazy haha.
Jesse Burroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #69
Donald Lee

Mr. Ross,

I was thinking about your approach again the other night, and I've seemingly unconvinced myself. I thought about posting in your forum, but I thought it was appropriate for this thread. I also stopped following the Biomechanics of Speed thread on the Supertraining group, so forgive me if it was already delved into in some form.

With the DLing, 30 meter flyes, etc., the focus is primarily functional, rather than structural. I am sure structural adaptations will occur, but once sizeable strength has been achieved, further adaptations will occur primarily by means of neural or functional adaptations.

These adaptations will be in intermuscular coordination, intramuscular coordination, etc. I believe sprinting form improvements from DLing may be due to intermuscular coordination, but I would like to focus on intramuscular coordination. According to Supertraining, intramuscular coordination includes the following:

Quote:
- Number encoding, the control of muscle tension by activating or deactivating certain numbers of fibres.
- Rate (frequency) encoding, the control of tension by modifying the firing rate of active fibres.
- Pattern encoding, the control of tension by synchronisation or sequencing of firing of the different types of muscle fibre (e.g. slow or fast twitch fibres).
I believe your premise for not training speed endurance is that, by maximizing MSF, you will be able to recruit more higher threshold fibres, even as you fatigue. I am not 100%, but I believe in reference to number encoding, nearly 100% recruitment of fibres is possible in most trained athletes. Further neural improvements in terms of intramuscular coordination are determined mostly by rate encoding and somewhat by pattern encoding.

Once top speed is reached in sprinting, what makes having maximized MSF in training more beneficial than having worked on speed endurance? I do not believe maximizing MSF makes you able to recruit more higher threshold fibres.

Intuitively, it also seems that practicing longer distance sprints would be more beneficial for pattern encoding in the latter part of the race.

I am wondering whether this is addressed in Charlie Francis' new book as well.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #70
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Donald,

I think it might be better to approach this from a global view.

We know that frequency of stride based on human biomechanics is pretty much virtually the same for all sprinters.

Therefore, the sprinters who have longer strides are going to be able to run faster. Those who have longer strides are those who are able to exert the most mass specific force. Therefore, increasing mass specific force is key.

We pretty much know that lifting heavy ass weights is going to raise all CNS related intermuscular and intramuscular coordination as well as preferentially hypertrophy/strength type II fibers..... so why not do heavy DLs?

Anyway, what distances are you referring to for speed endurance (for a 100m sprinter and/or a 400m sprinter let say).