Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #21
Craig Cooper

Pierre, that just brings us back to the original question: How did paleolithic man fuel high intensity activity if he was in Ketosis for most of the year? Eade's thought on the subject is interesting:

Another thought…Paleolithic man was on a low-carb diet from birth. Modern man is on a high-carb diet from birth. Some modern men decide to go on low-carb diets later on. And they adapt relatively quickly as far as endurance exercise is concerned. Maybe the adaptation period for high-intensity exercise simply takes a lot longer than we think.

The fact that no one has been able to stick to strictly low carb and be able to perform well at high intensity efforts is interesting, but maybe they just didn't wait long enough.

Scotty's example poses another question: if he is able to maintain high levels of performance in a fasted, low carb state doing approximately 1 metcon effort/week, what is the limit? How often was paleolithic man able to "sprint for play" without bonking?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #22
Robb Wolf

Couple interesting links:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ubmed_docsu m

this on is about sled dogs:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ubmed_docsu m

this one about decreased rhabdomyolysis in horses fed a higher fat diet:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=9604030

What I was looking for was the rate of glycogen repletion during ketosis. I guess that is pretty dependant upon total energy intake and how much protein can get converted to glucose. I think a take home form all this reflects what Loren Crodain said in the Paleo Diet for Athletes. Essentially that although our ancestors were quite fit, even by modern standards they were not pushed to elite levels as athletes are today. Some of that elite level training will need more than ancestral levels of carbohydrate intake to fuel those efforts. What role that might play on health and longevity...tough to tell.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #23
Brad Hirakawa

Robb,

We "simply" need to engineer the production of isocitrate lyase and malate synthase back into our genomes?

Chuckles and snorts a nerd laugh.

You're right, we're geeks.

Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #24
Scotty Hagnas

I had suspected for a while that my performance in the glycotic pathway wasn't impaired any longer by carb restriction or fasting. Keep in mind that I've been doing this for several years now, and I did notice some drop off in ability early on. I strongly suspect that there are some more long term adaptations occurring within IF/low carb, but I'm not sure exactly how.

I am going to be doing quite a bit of sprint work this summer, coincidently, so that might be a good time to test performance during more frequent workouts. Of course, fruit season is almost here....

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
Mike ODonnell

I noticed after a weekend of Guinness binging....my perfomance in my hockey game last night for 2 hours was dramatically 100x better...felt like a million bucks....Guinness as the next pwo meal? Hmmmmm.....somehow I see it working.....
Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #26
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I noticed after a weekend of Guinness binging....my perfomance in my hockey game last night for 2 hours was dramatically 100x better...felt like a million bucks....Guinness as the next pwo meal? Hmmmmm.....somehow I see it working.....
In college I remember having some excellent workouts on a Guinness hangover.

Guinness... for strength.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #27
Robb Wolf

Liquid Bread. Makes sense.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #28
Brad Hirakawa

... cold barley soup..
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote