Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
Also, isn't it the appreciation of life that is driving the research for life extension treatments?
Personally I'd rather see more effort in teaching people how to live their lives to the fullest right now....as most people I see are just sleepwalking through it....then maybe as a humanity we can earn living longer...I'd rather live in a world where the average lifespan was 70 years but everyone lived it to their best potential....then a society of people walking around for 500 years not having anything to give back and chronically depressed and having no real direction.....

In the end...I dont think it can be possible to live more than 100 in todays world of excessive stress, toxins, etc....even with science's help....I dont think they can outsmart nature....
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Brad Hirakawa
This message has been deleted by Brad Hirakawa. Reason: double post, sorry
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
Brad Hirakawa

“Hayflick limit...If you can figure out a way to give cells the characteristics of cancer...but without the downsides, you will have a very serious opportunity for life extension."

Robb,

I have though about that often as of late, as my current project in the slammer revolves around a cell line that just keeps going and going and going (cue pink bunny).

We can do it, but it will be a team effort. You can have the profits from selling the method; I want first dibs on the publication rights.

Yall figure a way to slip in a mechanism for the controlled expression of the telomerase reverse transcriptase protein, maintain telomere lengths sufficient to avoid replicative senescence, and do this for every cell type in the body while maintaining a stable genotype.

Down here in So.Cal., I'll locate an ancient Amazonian virus, perform a few routine viral transformations, inactivate those tumor suppressor genes, then... this is the tricky part, keep them from becoming genetically unstable and convince them to retain the properties of the primary cells from which they were born.

Also, I’m thinking it might be handy to reintroduce the ascorbate synthase gene to the human genome. I can handle that part this afternoon.

Piece of cake.

Until next summer when we are done, my money is with a calorie/carb restricted diet, semi-regular Glassman-Wolf style workouts, some intermittent fasting, a lot of sleep, and less than zero stress.

I wrote this entire post without using the word Hormesis... but it was tough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Brad Hirakawa

... in the game against nature, we have outsmarted her many times over. It is in our nature to do so. Hmm.. does that mean outsmarting nature is not really outsmarting her, rather by outsmarting her we are just being us, which is her, or have I yet to attain omnipresent supergalactic oneness?

You may be right though, we have pulled many sweet moves against nature, but in the end she may get the checkmate. But not without a fight.

I would not worry much about overpopulation, should we extend life significantly. Only those with a lot of money and good health insurance will get the juice. Or those with the biggest guns.

Brad
Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
Neal Winkler

Only at first will the technology be for the rich only. Remember, in the 1980's cell phones were only used by the rich but now every bratty grade school kid has one. Such is the way of technology - first available to the rich, then filters to the poor after it is refined.

One consequence I can see from all this though is a major battle between those who believe in life extension and those who do not. Think pro-choice vs. pro-life debating and demonstrating X 100.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hirakawa View Post
You may be right though, we have pulled many sweet moves against nature, but in the end she may get the checkmate. But not without a fight.
I look at it like we are fleas on a dog....having a great time...doing whatever we want.....and at any point the dog can just shake us loose and we are screwed.....not sure we will be shaken off the earth....but if it thinks "Hey I'll just turn up the temp to about 350 deg and bake those dumbasses off....I'll recover...."

I think it's in our moment when we really think we have outsmarted anyone...or anything....that we really have lost....as is the real reason to be better? Or one would say that is man's original fault...that nothing is ever good enough and that is why we live in a world of increasing unhappiness and misery....progress is one thing...but progress with no base in any appreciation for what we already have is another.....Who knows...I just go about my day happy for what I do have....not what I don't...living 30 or 300 years isnt going to really change that...not saying I am right, after all...that is not my goal...
Old 05-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
Pierre Auge

I'm always right so shut up MOD!

Kidding brother - kidding! Dude I like that...

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Auge View Post
I'm always right so shut up MOD!

Kidding brother - kidding! Dude I like that...
Tell your boys in Ottawa to start skating and shoot more....they looked weak last night....no reason all that talent should lose to a team based in CA.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #18
Brad Hirakawa

Good stuff.. you guys kick ass.

It's beer-o'clock now.

Brad
Old 05-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #19
Robb Wolf

Brad-
make our ouwn Vit-C? YOU are a wild man!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #20
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post

One consequence I can see from all this though is a major battle between those who believe in life extension and those who do not. Think pro-choice vs. pro-life debating and demonstrating X 100.
I don't know about that. Christians are definitely not pro-manipulation-of-the-human-organism-as-material-to-be-optimized, but the issue of abortion and contraception is an especially touchy one because of explicit prohbitions in Scripture or the divine law against it. I imagine one will see more opposition to manipulations that change the nature and the working of the human being than to those that merely extend its lifespan.

Pope John Paul and Pope Benedict, for instance, have already laid the groundwork for opposing biotech.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote