Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #31
Daniel Myers

Thursday 7/19/2007

I did two of the York courses from Advanced Methods of Weight Training: the Power Plus and Power courses. Bob Hoffman mentions that he had used this combination in his own training. Twelve exercises for each course, interleaved together so that you end up doing two exercises for each basic movement type.

There's a number of different approaches to sets and reps for these. I decided to do one set of approximately 10 reps for each exercise, and try to move through them with minimal rest.

Warm-Up

Curl: 80x10
Reverse Curl: 40x10

Press: 95x10
Press behind neck: 95x8

Deadlift: 225x4 295x8
Straight-Leg Deadlift: 225x10

Bent-Arm Pullover: 80x10
Straight-Arm Pullover: 60x10

Side Bends with Barbell: 45x10 x each side
Side Press: 45x10 x each side

Squat: 225x10
Squat on Toes: 105x10

Bent-Over Row: 155x10
45-Degree Row: 155x10

Bench Press: 135x10 135x5
Pullover and Press: 60x10

Raise on Toes: 195x20
Straddle Hop: 105x10

Front Squat: 155x10
Good Morning: 135x10

Sit-Up: 50
Leg Raise: 25

Breathing Squat: 185x15

Dear reader, I tell you, this was a ball buster. I may just be woefully out of shape with no work capacity, but I damn near died. I moved through the first half fairly smartly, but I was feeling it after the squats, and after the bench presses, I was nearly wiped out. I was averaging about a minute between sets up to that point, but my rest periods got a lot longer for the last few exercises.

The front squats were a substitution for both the straddle lift and the leg press. I don't know a good poundage for those exercises and I didn't feel like experimenting to find one.

The breathing squats were a little weak. I really should have gone with 225 and done true breathing squats, with 3-5 deep breaths between each rep. As it was, I jacked out the first 10 reps with 185 without a serious problem, then finished the last five reps with a little effort. Oh well, I'll try harder next time.

Suffice it to say, these old York courses can be some strong medicine. I'm currently putting together a list of several courses so I can have them all in one place. I'll post the document once I finish it for anyone else that's interested.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #32
Daniel Myers

Saturday 7/21/2007

Did some power work today. I stole this workout from John McCallum.

Warm-Up

Squats: Started at 185x3 and worked up to 265x3 in ten pound increments.

Bench: Same approach, from 135x3 up to 205x1.

Progressive Pulls: Start with power cleans from 115x2 to 165x2. After this, I switched to high pulls and 15 pound jumps for 180x2 up to 225x2. Then deadlifts, finishing at 330x2.

My low back is still bothering me a little bit. I'll need to take it easy and avoid going heavy for the next week to make sure it clears up.

Also, I really suck at Olympic pulling movements.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #33
Daniel Myers

Sunday 7/22/2007

Hiked the La Luz trail in the Sandia mountains with my wife. Approximately 7.5 miles, around 5000 feet of elevation gain and done in about 3 hours. The rocks were tough, but the altitude didn't really bother me, which was good since I haven't really exercised at this altitude since we did some snowshoe races last winter.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #34
Daniel Myers

Tuesday 7/31/2007

I have returned!

Gaze upon my workouts, ye mighty, and despair!

I took the last week off. It was the right decision. For a number of different reasons, I needed to take a break.

I got back into it with the York Power Plus course. Two sets of 8-10 with a moderately difficult weight for each movement.

Warm-Up

Curl: 70x2x8
Press: 95x2x8
Deadlift: 275x2x4
Pullover: 80x2x8
Side-Bend: 100x2x8 x each side
Squat: 225x2x8
T-Bar Row: 115x8 90x8
Bench Press: 145x2x10
Calf Raise: 195x2x15 (on Smith machine)
Front Squat: 165x2x8
Sit-Up: 30x2x10
Breathing Squat: 205x15

This felt good. Tough, but after I finished I felt strong and energized, not beaten up and run down. I went a little light on the deadlifts, and I need to stay there for a few more sessions. My back is better, but I need to make sure it's fully recovered before I start hammering it again.

A couple of weeks ago, I promised a comprehensive list of the York courses. I've put the list together, but I'm going to wait and try some more of the courses so I can give an informed opinion on each one.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #35
Daniel Myers

Wednesday 8/1/2007

Went to an adult gymnastics class for the first time. The "class" is really more like open gym time for people to practice skills, with a couple of coaches to give instruction to anybody that wants it. Most of the people there were working on tumbling skills, including some guys from a local wushu school and a couple of cheerleader-ish girls.

Since I'm mostly interested in feats of brutal strength, I went straight for the rings. It turns out that rings are very hard. I'd heard this before, and thought it was just exaggeration, but they really do make even basic exercises brutally tough. For this session, I mostly played around on each apparatus, doing some dips, supports, and swings on the rings, and practicing a few handstand pushups against the wall.

Since I'm mostly interested in strength skills, I'll start working on handstands, with the goal of doing unsupported handstand pushups, and muscle-ups on rings. After those, I'd like to work on planche progressions, the iron cross, and maybe circles on the pommel horse.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #36
Daniel Myers

Thursday 8/2/2007

Back in the gym for more York courses. Today I combined the "Excellent Heavy Dumbbell" and "One Dumbbell" courses from Advanced Methods of Weight Training. The odd-numbered exercises are from the Heavy DB course, and the even-numbered ones from the One-DB course.

Ten repetitions of each exercise, except where noted. For the one-arm exercises, I did ten repetitions per arm. For the two-arm movements, I've listed the weight of the individual dumbbell.

Warm-up

Hammer Curls: 35
One-Arm Overhead Toe Touch: 35
Two-DB Press: 40
Bent-Over Reverse Curl: 25
Two-Hand Swing: 75
Bent-Over Regular Curl: 35
Two-DB Pullover: 35x8 (too much weight)
One-Arm Clean and Press: 40
Side Bends: 100
One-Arm Swing: 45
Two-DB Thruster: 40
One-Arm Upright Rows: 25
One-DB Bent-Over Row: 50
One-Arm Press: 40
Bench Press: 70x7 (a little too much)
One-Hand Swing to Overhead: 40
One-DB Calf Raise: 50x15
One-Hand Power Snatch: 40
Clean and Press: 40
Side Press: 35
Weighted Decline Sit-Ups: 35x25
One-Arm Bent-Over Row: 50
Two-DB Overhead Squat: 40
Side Bends: 100

Yeah, it looks like a ton of work, but it's only one set of each movement, and many of the exercises are duplicates. You could make it even more efficient if you grouped the similar exercises together to reduce weight changes. You could probably do all the exercises with the same weight, if you were willing to be conservative on a few of the movements, and eliminate some of the weaker ones, like the reverse curls. Could also be done with handleballs.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #37
Daniel Myers

Sunday 8/5/2007

Raw, brutal power day.

Squat: 135x10 185x8 225x5 255x3 275x2 300x1 275x2 245x10

Bench Press: 95x8 135x6 165x4 185x2 205x1

Incline DB Press: 50x10 60x10 60x8

Pullup: 2x8

Twisting Sit-Up: 30 x right 20 x left 15 x right

I've finally done 300 for the first time in more than two years -- the last time I used to train hard before graduate school stole my focus. Honestly, I've been ready for that weight for a long time now, but I'd let it become a sort of psychological block. I was so wrapped up in doing 5x5 or 8x2 and adding 5 pounds every week that I wound up getting stuck in the 225-275 range for far too long. Over the next few weeks I'm going to focus on getting over 300 for reps. Then I can begin the drive towards 360 for 2xBW.

I'm also enjoying the inclusion of some more volume and higher rep ranges. It's almost like you need to change things up and try different approaches -- but surely that can't be right.

My arms were strongly affected by Wednesday's gymnastics. By the end of the bench presses, I was cramping in my biceps and forearms. It was quite painful. If that hadn't happened I would have done some power cleans. This will clear up in a few more days.

Finally, I threw in the incline presses because I want to fill out my chest a little more. Am I allowed to talk about that on the Performance Menu?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #38
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Myers View Post
Finally, I threw in the incline presses because I want to fill out my chest a little more. Am I allowed to talk about that on the Performance Menu?
Haha...I'm still here, and I even go so far as using the cable machines.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #39
Daniel Myers

Tuesday 8/7/07

The Weight Lifting course from York's Advanced Methods of Weight Training. This is similar to the famous course #3.

Two sets of five for each movement, both with the same weight.

Warm-Up

Clean Without Using Legs or Back: 95
Clean and Press: 115
Snatch: 95
Push Press: 135
High Pulls to Head: 115
Jump Squats: 115
Upright Rowing: 75
Press to Front and Back: 95
Clean and Jerk: 135
Deadlift to Belt Height: 225 (one set of five)
Front Squats: 185

Tough, but not too tough. I could have handled some more weight on the earlier exercises, but the C+J really took it out of me, and the last few sets were fairly hard.

As you can tell from my numbers, I am pathetically weak at Olympic movements and overhead lifting. Partly, this is just lack of experience. My snatch would improve quickly if I did it more than once every four months. I would also benefit from some coaching and technical work, but I'm probably not going to get those any time soon. Really, I just need to hit these movements more frequently, and with greater intensity. I do feel like the York courses have helped my overhead pressing a little, because they always include a couple of overhead exercises.

Had a little soreness in the arms and elbows, but not as bad as Sunday, so that's working itself out. We'll see how I feel at tonight's gymnastics session.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #40
Daniel Myers

Thursday 8/9/2007

"Bob Hoffman's Favorite" from Advanced Methods of Weight Training.

Warm-up

Curl: 85x6 75x7
Press: 115x6 105x7
Upright Row: 85x10 85x8
Side Bend: 110x2x10 x each side

-- Do the next four exercises as a circuit

Thruster: 85x10
High Pulls to Head: 85x10
Straddle Hop: 85x20
Clean and Press: 85x10

Bent-Over Row: 155x2x10
Incline DB Press: 60x9 60x7
Squat: 225x2x10

The course finishes with deadlifts, but I omitted them, since it was late and I was ready to head home.

Hoffman says that this course was originally developed for military training. The idea was to use the same weight for the first four exercises, add some weight, do the next four, then add some more weight to do the last four. This allowed a group of five men to exercise with one barbell in an efficient fashion. I didn't do this, since I wanted to use more challenging poundages for some of the exercises.

I made a few modifications. The original course has press behind neck and regular presses -- I substituted regular presses and incline DB presses, respectively. The thruster was originally the "deep knee bend and press behind neck" -- basically a behind-the-neck thruster; Hoffman mentions that this was his favorite exercise.

In the future, I'll probably omit the straddle hop -- moving your feet like jumping jacks with a barbell on the shoulders. It doesn't really add anything to the middle circuit.