Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Robert McBee

Default Coffee Recommendations

Here are a couple of coffee's that I really dig. I'm always on the lookout for others too. Addiction is a wonderful/terrible thing.

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
The "Black Cat Espresso Blend" is currently my favorite coffee.

www.stumptowncoffee.com
Can't go wrong with the 'House Blend'. A Portland landmark.

Has anyone tried "Shock" coffee? Coach Rut links to it from his webpage. 50% higher caffeine than regular sounds great but I like to grind my own and a 5lbs. bag is the smallest they sell. Of course, if its good enough for the Rutman...
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Robert Allison

Two of my favorites are:

Larry's Beans
The Mama Nile Ethiopia & 3 Moon Peru single origins are great, as is the Cowboy Blend and...

Peets
You can't go wrong with Major Dickason's Blend.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

There is not a country I did not taste from Trader Joe's and yet I still find myself every morning reaching to the back of the cabinet for the Folger's can.

I don't know what it is...but there is just something about Folger's....

maybe hitting the diner (its a Jersey thing!) with a bunch of buddies in the wean hours of the night after the bars let out ordering pots of coffee (Folgers) and hot reuben sandwiches til we were stuffed as ticks.

Ah those were the days...(no wonder I was so soft and porky back then ha).
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Robb Wolf

There is only one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lallave_200.jpg (14.8 KB, 89 views)

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Pierre Auge

yeah theirs something about folger's its gross!

A friend of mine grows his own coffee in his basement celar with a very elaborate hydroponics system. In fact it was so elaborate when he installed it that the jump on his power bill tipped the authorities and they raided his house thinking he had a pot grow - turns out he just really likes his coffee which after they were done the raid he offered to brew them a pot and have them hang out and relax.

They had some coffee but declined to "hang out". The cops with the warrant felt pretty dumb.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

I go with the inexpensive coffees I can get at Sam's Club.

There's an organic, medium roast bean and a "rainforest safe" french roast I go with, alternately.

Without a better coffeemaker, that's about as good as it gets.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Allen Yeh

At work I drink the folgers at home if I don't do yerba mate I'll go with a coffee from Trader Joes, the one I like the best so far is the Smooth and Mellow.

I however only drink 1-2 cups a day.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Troy Archie

If you consider yourself appreciative of coffee in any form, I highly emplore you all to go out and find a local roaster in your town and buy your coffee freshly roasted. The difference between fresh roasted coffee sold no longer than a few days post roasting and what you buy at the grocery store is like night and day; canned fish and catching it out of the river; garden veggies and store bought.

I then emplore you to ditch your drip coffee maker and start using a French Press or Plunger for brewing. The problem with a drip machine is that when the water hits the coffee, it's already cooled way too much to get a good amount of extraction out of the coffee. Whereas with a press you pour boiling water on the grind allowing for the most extraction possible.

my name is Troy and I am a coffee geek. I work at a coffee roaster. We have coffee tasting nights and I have a problem.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

$2 at cariboo coffee and then use their free WiFi for 2 hours....fair trade....
Old 06-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
John Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
I then emplore you to ditch your drip coffee maker and start using a French Press or Plunger for brewing. The problem with a drip machine is that when the water hits the coffee, it's already cooled way too much to get a good amount of extraction out of the coffee. Whereas with a press you pour boiling water on the grind allowing for the most extraction possible.
When I moved from Chico to Sacramento I picked up a french press since my fiance had my Krups coffee maker. The Bay Blend, I believe it's called, from TJ's never tasted so good as when I was using the press. Now, I've got my coffe pot back and the french press is in the pantry...
John Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote