Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
Sam Cannons

I have to disagree with you there Rob, i have never had any knee issue with rubber guard nor have any of the guys i train with and we have been using it quite a bit lately. Our instrucotr is a fairly small guy about 60kg and he makes it work on a lot of big (90-100kg) guys at training. Each to their own i guess.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
Yael Grauer

working on
1) wide base
2) digging elbows in the femoral artery area, which is about a zillion times more effective than digging your elbows into their thighs or knees.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #23
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
working on
1) wide base
2) digging elbows in the femoral artery area, which is about a zillion times more effective than digging your elbows into their thighs or knees.
EVIL!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #24
Daniel Christensen

Working on... moving as soon as I change positions, rather than trying to sneak in a quick rest, and using movement to break down opponent.

I rolled with a mate who has good half guard skills, and he was able to tie me up every time I had top position... gotta get some of that stuff in my game.
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #25
Derek Simonds

I was having trouble with half guard and I had a private with my instructor to get a handle on it. I will try and find my notes and link to them. It might have been when I wasn't keeping detailed notes unfortunately.

Once you get the feel for how to move in the half guard it isn't so bad. BJ Penn doesn't call it half guard he calls it half mount. I did however get choked right the heck out in half guard in a position that I thought was absolutely impossible to get choked from. Guess I was wrong about that.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #26
Anton Emery

To the OP's original question about videos. I have been watching Matt Thortons Functional JKD vol.2 and have really been enjoying it. I guess it helps that i train under him, but i like how he goes into positions and concepts rather than tons of submissions. One of my mistakes my first few years in Jits was focusing to much on submissions and not honing my positional skills more. I am trying to make up for that now...

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 AM   #27
Sam Cannons

Probably a really dumb Q, but are Matts video's good ? Can you recommend one ?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #28
Anton Emery

I have been borrowing Matt's Function JKD Vol 2 from a friend and like it alot. Mostly all basics and fundamentals. Fundamentals are big here at SBG, Matt really concentrates on them and tries to avoid stuff that is "style" specific.

I really enjoyed the clinch DVD in this series. It goes over hand fighting, pummeling, underhooks/overhooks in the clinch, a few simple takedowns, and alot more. I tend to like stuff that is simple, and at this point in my game am still working on refining the basic things i need to be doing in each position. Matt's DVD's are good for that kind of thing.

I have not watched any of the other SBG tapes, so i can't comment on them. I would like to check out the JKD vol 3

anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #29
Ben Langford

I have to say that, both as a coach and as a student, Matt's JKD vol 3. dvds are very, very good.

These dvds are principle based which, I feel, is a much better way of teaching/learning bjj than simply going over tons of submissons or moves.

The material covered includes guard (including de la Riva, mma and X guards), top controll, escape, clinch, half guard + harness and their version of Sprawlin' and Brawlin'.

The dvds demo lots of drills and clearly outline the theory/principles sbgi is using to develop these drills. Everything is very clearly explained and easy to understand.

If you are looking to improve your postional dominance, general skill and understanding of bjj these dvds are great. If you are looking to add moves (eg. sweeps, subs, passes etc) to one of your already established games you would probably be better off looking elsewhere as only the primary moves from each position are covered.
Ben Langford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #30
Daniel Christensen

Hi Ben

Quote:
If you are looking to improve your postional dominance, general skill and understanding of bjj these dvds are great.
That's me...

Theres a truckload of material available at the Straight Blast Gym. You think JKD Volume 3 is the best fit?
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote