Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Coaching Cues for Jerk

I have reread a bunch of stuff on the Jerk and I need some simple ways to coach myself.

I struggle with jerking anything over 155 lb's. Which is very frustrating and I think partly psychological as I can push press pretty much the same amount.

Right now I tell myself dip, drive and lock out. I don't think I am getting enough leg drive maybe and I have a problem with transitioning my hands from the catch to the press portion of the jerk.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Dave Wilson

Derek, Is the bar racked on your shoulder's? If you are holding the bar in your hands, you are killing the power from your hip and leg drive.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

When I C and J or Rack Jerk the bar is on my shoulders but my hands are not in a position to push the bar overhead. I feel like I lose power trying to adjust my hand position so that it is more similar to a press. Hope that helps.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Dave Wilson

Try to keep the bar in a racked postition, with minimal adjustment of the hands, your arms do not have to be in a full pressing postition, KEEP YOUR CHEST HIGH, take a breath, a qucik dip, drive through the heels.

If you have a video camera get a video from the side, watch to see if your chest drops when you dip.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
-Ross Hunt

Obviously, video is your friend, but one mistake that many people make is to dip too quickly. Don't out-run the barbell down in the desire to use extra speed for an extra-heavy weight. You have to go down at exactly the same quick but controlled pace you would use for a lighter weight, and be confident that the speed from your fast reversal of direction at the bottom of the dip and fast acceleration will suffice to make the lift.

Also, make sure that you are dipping by bending the knees, not pushing the butt back as you would in a squat.

Also, make sure that you aren't cutting off the drive in a hurry to dive under the bar. Patience, grasshopper.

Also, you could just be weak. How much do you press/ push-press/ squat?

Finally, you could just be temporarily klutzy. This stuff takes time.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross Hunt View Post
Patience, grasshopper.

Also, you could just be weak. How much do you press/ push-press/ squat?

Finally, you could just be temporarily klutzy. This stuff takes time.
Patience, good point. I definitely am weak in the overhead area. Currently these are my maxes (more than a sort of max less than a max max DJ TM noted) 120 / 140 / BS 250 + FS 200. Greg had written in a response to me that there is no need (for a competitive lifter) to be able to clean more than you can jerk or vice versa. My C and J has not gone up in 3 weeks as I haven't been able to jerk more. I wanted to make sure that my technique wasn't the limiting factor on the jerk as I am working on my strength.

Thanks for the replies. I have got to get out west for some coaching.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post

I definitely am weak in the overhead area. Currently these are my maxes (more than a sort of max less than a max max DJ TM noted) 120 / 140 / BS 250 + FS 200. .
You can definitely use more strength, but you can also get more out of your technique. Right now I'm at a 165/ 235/ 286 (first two are guesstimated, because it's been a while sincle my singles at 155 and 220). My back squat is strictly don't ask, don't tell...

Florida looks like it has a lot of oly lifting gyms, if you're still where your profile say's you're at:

http://www.teamfloridaweightlifting.com/locations.html
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Derek Simonds

Ross you are the man. I still live here in Deland FL and 3 of those gyms are within 30 minutes of house and work.

Last week I looked for links on USAW but didn't find any.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Don't know whether this helps but the key insight for me is that your chest driven by your legs shoves the bar in the air and then you lock out your arm underneath it by jumping down. In other words, don't focus on pushing the bar up - focus on locking out your arms while you are descending rapidly into the split squat. Makes it much, much easier. My jerk is about 20k better than my push press.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

derek - get us a video.

the jerk isn't about driving the bar up or driving yourself down. it's about driving the bar up AND driving yourself down. both have to happen.

the keys to a solid dip and drive are:

1) position - solid rack, i.e. bar on shoulders, not on arms. Hand contact with bar willl vary as will elbow height. basic rule is to get your elbows as close to vertical while keeping the bar securely on the shoulders. likewise for the hands--as deep as they can be without compromising the rack. finally, the foot position. typically right under the hips, but I'd had success actually moving m feet out, toeing out more, and pushing my knees out more, i.e. much more like my squat than my pull. find the strongest, most solid position for yourself--the easiest way is to push press heavy and see from where you can push the most weight.

2) air--you must fill the entire torso, not just the chest. force your stomach out as far as posssible while inhaling and only after that clamp down the abdominal musculature. you need to create a wide base, but it must be solid too, i.e. fully pressurized. fill up wiith air, clamp down, and wait for 2 seconds before dipping. that extra time will make a huge difference.

3) dip - first, it must be vertical. any forward inclination will not work. you'll probably feel like you're leaning backward. second, it must nnot be too deep. too deep and you'll reach a very mechanically disadvantaged position--stop when you're still strong--again, check your push press depth for a good idea of the correct depth. finally, control the speed. if you dip too quickly, the bar will separate from the rack and be crashing down on you as you're coming back up--clearly this will make your drive much harder. a controlled descent will allow a faster transition and a more powerful drive.

4) transition - the transition from dip to drive must be quick. if it's slow, you're probably dipping too deep.

5) drive - just like the dip, the drive must be perfectly vertical. you'll need to get your head out of the way of the bar--do not try to push the bar out around your chin. the drive needs to be aggressive and complete--often people cut the drive short because they're too concerned with getting themselves under the bar--it will be much easier to get under the bar if you drive it higher. this is comparable to pulling yourself under a snatch before you finish your full extension during the second pull.

6) feet - first, the receiving position must be sound--the feet in the split should be just as wide as your squat. the depth must be such that the torso and bar are midpoint between the front and back foot, and the depth of the lunge must be adjusted according to the weight.

7) bar path - because the bar starts in front of the head and finishes over or even slighhtly behind it, clearly one of two things must happen - the bar moved back or the lifter moved forward. once the bar weighs more than the lifter, the choice is clearly the latter. that means that as the bar passes the lifters face, he/she must drive him/herself through the arms to position his/her body under the bar.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote