Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Daniel Miller

Default Ori-Warrior Diet

I just got a Newsletter from the warrior diet guy.

Here's a section I thought was slightly flawed but also interesting: (quote's are his comments)

"You Need Your Carbs

Q: You've written that low-carb diets don't make sense because carbs are important for aspects of body chemistry. Yet all biochemical textbooks say that there's no physiological requirement for carbs because the gluconeogenesis process in the liver converts other substances, such as amino acids, glycerol and lactate, into glucose. In addition, low-carb diet advocates frequently mention that the body can run on intermediary by-products of fat metabolism called ketones, again making carb intake superfluous. How do you respond?

Ori: Let me say up front that muscles cannot convert protein or fat into glucose. According to all the biology texts, gluconeogenesis is a limited metabolic process, mostly restricted to the liver. Fast-twitch muscles depend mostly on glycolytic, or carb, fuel. In times of a desperate need for energy, such as during strength or speed training, gluconeogenesis may not be sufficient to provide critical glucose to the working muscles. Furthermore, when carbs are severely restricted and the demand for energy increases, the body would be forced to shut down one of its most critically important hepatic metabolic pathways. That pathway regulates the production of DNA, RNA, nucleic acid material, energy molecules and several potent antioxidant compounds.

Known as the pentose phosphate pathway (PPP), it's completely dependent on an adequate glucose supply. With severe carb restriction, when insufficient glucose is available, the body turns off the PPP and switches to a sheer energy-producing process. When that occurs, the body may adversely compromise its capacity for promoting anabolic and immuno-enhancing activity. So you decrease your ability to recuperate and build muscle.

Athletes can't permit themselves to be in such a compromised state. Carbs are essential for active individuals. They also play a critical role in post-exercise recovery. Without carbs and their related insulin spikes there's no final activation of such anabolic hormones as IGF-1 and growth hormone after exercise.

Protein is the worst fuel source. Its breakdown results in metabolic waste substances, such as nitrites and nitrates, which adversely affect nitric oxide synthesis. That, in turn, suppresses vasodilation and muscle capacity for performance and for resisting fatigue.

As for ketones, they're acids that, when produced in abundance - for example, during low-carb diets - inhibit fat breakdown and elevate cortisol levels, as the body desperately tries to increase blood sugar and lower acidity levels. The increased acidity that ketones produce also forces the body to leech alkalizing minerals, such as calcium, from bones and other lean tissues. Contrary to popular belief, ketosis is a substantially catabolic process that leads to adverse effects in those seeking added lean mass.

Finally, scientists now believe that physical activity is programmed into the human genome. Carb food, essential for physical activity, is also essential for the human body. It's a potent carrier of essential nutrients, including proteoglucan and immuno-boosting nutrients. Biologically, low-carb diets just don't make sense, especially for active people engaged in exercise and sports."
-William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
Daniel Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Robb Wolf

I could spend 5 hours writing a critique of that...Ori is a smart guy and knows his stuff but I certainly disagree with a load of stuff in that newsletter.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

So what is "low carb" in this arguement? 30g/day? I agree athletes (in the traditional sporting sense of activities of 1-2 hours of competition) for the most part can not sustain performance on 30g a day. Now some people may think 100g/day is also low carb......compared to the old adage of 300g/day needed.....so many factors....so little time....when in doubt, time those carbs correctly and you will have plenty of muscle glycogen
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Ori likes his carbs, plain and simple. According to his daily diet that was printed in his book, he also loves his whey protein and colostrum.

I would have to venture a guess that Ori has likely never undergone a "carbs from only lots of veggies and a little fruit" diet in his life (for any significant period of time), thus he will adamantly defend his carbs ands dairy.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Scotty Hagnas

Um, no. I'm going to disagree with that newsletter- if nothing else, on the grounds of my personal experience.

How was I able to gain 15 lbs of mostly lean mass on ~ 25-50 g of carbs per day? What about strength improvements and no loss of metabolic conditioning? As Dr G alluded to above, he likely has never hung in thru the adaptation phase.

Carb fuel is not essential for physical activity.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote