Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #31
Mike Moore

Default Complexes

Here's a barbell complex I use and have used with some of my wrestlers. I suugest starting with 3 or 4 "rounds" and using a rest interval between rounds of 1 1/2 minutes. Decrease RI by 15 seconds each week until you reach 45 seconds, then increase rounds by 1. Repeat process until you are doing 5-6 rounds, then instead of increasing rounds, increase weight. I suggest checking your ego at the door and starting with as little as 65-75 pounds. I started at 95# and I have no clue why but I think I was going thru each round more slowly than I wanted. You should really explode thru each round as best you can (most people start to get the idea how bad this sucks by the end of round 2). Anyway - 8 exercises (or as some prefer "movements" - some people will get that one), 6 reps each exercise (not as easy as it sounds once you hit the push presses), NEVER let go of the bar and never stop moving:

1. Deadlift
2. RDL
3. Bent Over Row
4. Cleans (from the floor or hang cleans - your choice - or Dan John's Whip Snatches)
5. Front Squat
6. Push Press
7. Back Squat (full)
8. Good Mornings

Sometimes I start in front of a chin bar and do a set of chins first with no rst between chins and deadlift.

I know the deadlifts coming first souds "easy" because it's a lift you can use a lot of weight on, but the combo of the DL and RDL early in the sequence for a few rounds fries your lower back by the time you get to the cleans. You can really manipulate the sequencing as you wish and substitute other movements depending on your needs. Also, there is no "rule" that says you can't use one movement twice during each round, e.g. front squats for #2 and number #5. Try to hit as many movement patterns as possible during each round.
Mike Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #32
Dave Paton

Mike,

I have been doing your barbell complex for the last couple of weeks. I really like it. the first couple of sessions wiped me out. I do this after i do my oly lifts or squats etc. Thanks.
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #33
Daniel Myers

I'll mention my all-time favorite complex, The Bear. I'm not sure who invented this, but here's a T-Nation article covering it.

For each round, do one rep of each of the following:

- power clean, from the ground or the hang
- deep front squat
- push press
- deep back squat
- push press from behind the neck
- lower the bar

The object is to flow through the five lifts as quickly and explosively as possible. Do multiple rounds without pausing to make a "set". I like to do 5 sets of 5 rounds.

With a lighter weight, I use it as the conditioning part of my workout. With a heavier weight, it is the workout.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #34
Derek Simonds

I am recommending this program to a guy at work. Before he signs up can anyone give me some insight into what the nutrition program looks like.

He is just getting his diet cleaned up, it was a mess and I want to make sure he can handle the change.

To semi quote Dan John I don't want him doing the program and making changes because then it isn't the Program.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #35
Ron Nelson

The nutrition part of the AB program is basically, don't eat as much. That and stick to protein and reduce carbs.

It was the biggest disappointment of the program. The routines are fine.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #36
Derek Simonds

Default Thanks Ron

My friend has been working with a PT from the YMCA and I looked at his program and it was an embarrassment to the good name of PT's.

It was all swiss ball curls and tricep extensions and bench with 25 LB DB's. My friend is 6' 2 and 280 and not a flabby 280. I looked at the program and asked him do you even break a sweat. No DL, no squats, no multi joint with any weight.

He will be ordering AB on Monday and I am going to meet him at his gym for a week or two and workout with him.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 AM   #37
Allen Yeh

AC recently posted an article with 4 barbell complexes in them, could be a good way to fill time until he gets his copy of Afterburn.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #38
Derek Simonds

Did he post them on T-Nation?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #39
Allen Yeh

Yes

Complexes for Fat Loss:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1624757

So far I've done 2 of the complexes following the week 1 set/rep/rest scheme and learned a few things so far:
1. Complex A - doing jump squats after doing thrusters sucks
2. Complex B - 135 pounds is too heavy for me when it comes to the - Hang Clean + Front Squat + Push Press (combo lift — perform one rep of each in series), I had to back it down to 115 and then back it down again to 95.

The complexes themselves take about 10 minutes total time, including rest time. Then you need a few minutes before you feel good enough to continue on.

On Monday I did a warmup followed by what Robb does for his clients 3-5 sets of 2-3 reps of ring dips, pullups, deadlifts with 1 minute rests between each. Then I did complex A, followed by a few strides at the track.

On Tuesday I did a warmup followed by Complex B after that I did somes chins, 1-arm bench superset w/ 1 arm row and some curls.

Each of my workouts so far have taken about an hour in total, I actually like doing it this way better than the Real Fast Fat Loss program AC did with Chad Waterburyhttp://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1589833 since the complexes leave me with time to focus on other things too like dips/pullups/running...etc

One caveat though, I think Ron said that Real Fast Fat loss was similiar to Afterburn? So that program might give him a taste of things to come? I did 2 workouts from Real Fast Fat Loss prior to my wifes surgery, and they were ass kickers. After my wifes surgery I had thought about doing RFFL but chose what I stated above instead with the whole time thing.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #40
Derek Simonds

When I got to work and I had my laptop I found the article. I also read Mike Roberson's latest article that was pretty rock star stellar. After reading it I have to agree that looks pretty tough.

I like how you worked the complexes in. I hadn't seen what Robb does with his clients before and it looks like a great warm up. I will do it and let you know what I think.