Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Jesse Woody

Default Just crazy enough...

Well, I'm trying it, mainly because I live in a gym, I happen to have a couple of extra bucks for supplements, and because one of my Primal Fitness space monkeys, Will, was intrigued and agreed to do it with me. I'm interested in two aspects: 1: Improving performance, which can have some financial benefits at the moment, and 2: just proving to myself that I can work this hard. I've modified the program to get rid of all of the tripe like leg curls etc. and replaced that with some O-lift variations and some Parkour-specific training. I'm keeping it all in my training log over in the APK forums if anybody is interested in my demise
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Sam Cannons

Hey Don that is Ben Turner from QLD one strong muther

http://www.qwa.org/Alist/turner.ASP
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
-Ross Hunt

I experienced this pheneomenon last summer. The training schedule was different: It was two days on, one day off, but with workouts from 2 to 3 hours long, sometimes longer, doing a lot of volume in pulls, presses, and oly lifts. I gained 7-10 kilos in a couple months (85-95).

But there is a question as to how sustainable this sort of thing is. Anybody can train themselves into the ground for two weeks. People who have been training hard for a couple years can repeat it a couple times. But then what? How do you keep the muscle mass and the strength that you built by jacking up the volume and intensity when you your one to five months of tolerance for that kind of training are up? Within a few months, my strength gains stagnated and my body weight fell back to 85 kilos; fortunately, I kept some of the strength. Right now I am trying to take a more gradual and balanced approach to developing tolerance for sustained volume and intensity (more, shorter workouts; more rep range variation).
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Don Stevenson

awwww man you spoiled the fun. I wanted to watch all the guesses from the 'mericans

Ross,

My experience with this sort of thing is that you beat yourself up for a couple of weeks, back off and recover and then resume a normal type training plan. You couldn't possibly do this more than a couple of times a year and not get hurt or worn out.

You'd maintain your gains in strength as long as your new program reflects the increases. For example if you are squatting 150 when you start and 170 a month later there is no point going back to the weights you were using before the program.

as far as muscle mass, i'm not so sure but i've stayed above 95kg since last year even on a fairly low volume program.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #15
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Woody View Post
Well, I'm trying it, mainly because I live in a gym, I happen to have a couple of extra bucks for supplements, and because one of my Primal Fitness space monkeys, Will, was intrigued and agreed to do it with me. I'm interested in two aspects: 1: Improving performance, which can have some financial benefits at the moment, and 2: just proving to myself that I can work this hard. I've modified the program to get rid of all of the tripe like leg curls etc. and replaced that with some O-lift variations and some Parkour-specific training. I'm keeping it all in my training log over in the APK forums if anybody is interested in my demise
I'd be curious to how this works out for you.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
Jesse Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I'd be curious to how this works out for you.
As the spacemonkey mentioned previously, I figured I'd give you an update.

Jesse and I are on day 9 of the program and I can safely speak for the both of us when I say I cannot wait for this thing to be over. Even if you have the time and means to pull this off, I would be wary of taking the plunge. Perhaps the results will be so dramatic as to change my mind, but at this stage I can recommend several faster ways to kill yourself.
All of the grizzly side effects mentioned in the T-Nation article rear their ugly heads within the first 3 days and snowball as you continue. the loss of appetite is insane, making downing the recommended protein requirements almost as bad as the workouts themselves, and no matter how tired you are at the end of the day, sleep is just out of reach (at least for me, Jesse doesn't seem to have this problem).
I will keep you updated near the end of this thing, and again once I have recovered and start going for PRs.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #17
Will Schultz

Jesse's last post was written by me.The fact that I'm to exasuted to recognize that I was logged in as him should give you an idea of that this thing will do to you.
Will Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Jesse Woody

Default uhhh...what he said

Quote:
(at least for me, Jesse doesn't seem to have this problem).
I actually think I might be asleep right now. Tendonitis, check, performance decrease, check, lack of appetite, check.

Being glad that you only have three days, i.e. 5 workouts left: priceless.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
Daniel Miller

Is the tendonitis in your elbow from the pull-ups?
-William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
Daniel Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Will Schultz

In part, yes. The bigger contributor to the tendonitis is probably the catleap topouts we have included as part of our parkour skills in the workout.
Will Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote