Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #21
Shannon Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Hagnas View Post
Hi Shannon-

Additional walks are a great idea, particularly if you can take them outside in the woods or countryside!

From looking at the macronutrient ratios that you posted, you will have a metabolism very efficient at using glucose. The very large protein intake is almost certainly being partly converted to glucose for energy, as well. As you probably know, your glucose stores don't last very long. If they run out, as they would if you begin a fast, your body is used to breaking down protein for it's glucose. It will go right after your muscle tissue to provide this glucose.

If you are eating low carb, your body will become efficient at metabolizing ketones made from the breakdown of fats, and will try to conserve what glucose it has. Low carb diets are muscle sparing. You may need to get your protein intake a bit lower, though - your body may well not make the full conversion to burning ketones, since it can always get some glucose from the excessive protein.

Good luck!

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Good to hear the walking is okay, it makes cutting down on cardio easier, just as long as I'm not 'sitting' all day long (work at a desk job at the moment). Aside from lifting I still need to do some sort of movement I find or else I get antsy and just feel lethargic.

That is an interesting point on the protein to glucose. I definitely know a lot of the protein I'm eating will be turning to glucose since I'm far exceeding my requirements. How come though, once the glucose runs out from the carbs the body wouldn't turn to fat stores rather than muscle? Plus, if I was eating in a surplus, shouldn't there be enough stores to last through the fast (and I am only fasting about 11-12 hours per day, so not totally a full on IF set-up).

I am going to reduce my carbs today though, cut out one of the bowls of oatmeal I normally eat before bed. Would it be okay to keep protein around 200 grams (100/meal) or is that still too high? (based on a 2000 calorie diet). Carbs would then be around 100 grams or so and the rest will be fat. Then as I need to add more calories I'll add in more fat to this. The protein I am eating though is very slow digesting (lots of cottage cheese) so maybe that will help things?
Shannon Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #22
Scotty Hagnas

Your protein intake still is quite high. At 2000k/day, 200g of Pro is 40% of your total calories - regular intakes above 35% can be toxic. On infrequent occasions, 200g might be fine, but I certainly wouldn't eat that much on a regular basis.

As a comparison, I am a 175lb male. I eat, on average 120g of protein per day. I vary my intake, though some days eating 70g, and others as high as 190g. I gained ~15 lbs this last year with this intake. More protein consumed doesn't necessarily equate to more muscle - it just makes you more efficient at breaking it down for energy.

Your body will burn some fat during the fast, of course. However, your metabolism is based on glucose. Until it is forced to utilize ketones for a period of time and adapts, it will go after glucose however it can.
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Mike ODonnell

Scotty is right....it's not about the amount of protein...but how well you body assimilates it....things like IF, less cardio and all that can help with more protein utilization....most people don't get enough (min 0.8g/lean body mass for an active person). Things like BCAA supplementation pre and PWO can also increase muscle growth. I found taking in anywhere from 100-200g/protein in a 6 hour window (IF) was enough to gain muscle, burn fat.....as most importantly you do not want to lose muscle....which really is only a factor with overtraining, low calorie diets and low protein intakes.