Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Raw food

How many of you guys eat all or most of your food raw? Some Paleo authors claim that Paleo's ate all of their food raw(Mark Lundegren) and some say that it was cooked, some say that it was a combo (Art D). How about the controversy over which is better. Raw people say raw is better because of enzymes and due to the fact that all the components remain in their unaltered, undenatured, natural form, rendering them more appropriate for digestion. Cooked people argue that cooking is good because it removes antinutrients and increases bioavailability.Any ideas/opinions? Anybody have any documentation actually showing that contemporary hunter-gatherers eat their food either cooked or raw?
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Daniel Myers

This Wikipedia article has a little material on early hominids and fire. I don't have time to look up anything more thorough right now.

Basically, there is evidence that Homo erectus did have some controlled fire as early as one million years ago, but it was atypical of that species until more advanced hominids came on the scene. This means that earlier hominid species were definitely eating their foods raw -- including meat -- for a long stretch of time.

If I'm getting the dates right, it seems that man had mastered the use of fire by the time anatomically modern humans emerged, so our most direct ancestors always had the technology for cooking their food.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Raw fruits and Vegetables Yes.....Raw meat...No for me...I'm not sure what the Paleo people did but I do not think the bacteria and viruses that run rampant through livestock today was also a bigger issue back then....
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

I do about 1/3 my meat (only whole pieces, organic, grassfed sourced, preferably not ever frozen) raw. If there is ever any doubt, I cook it rare to medium rare.

I'd say I do about 75% of my veggies raw.

I do believe that raw/uncooked is better as a general rule, however, if cooking food was as detrimental as the crazy raw vegans say, humans would have died out a long time ago.

Basically, cook as little and as low as possible is my rule.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Thanks guys.

P.S. Dr. G, would you happen to know Michael Adams by any chance? He's actually the reason why I began this post. I've been doing some reading on his site www.newstarget.com and he's quite a proponent of raw foods. He's also a vegan though, so....you know, it sort of ruins his credibility for me. Nevertheless, I must admit that he's a great writer and has some interesting things to say. He has all of his stats and blood values posted on his site, and I gotta tell you that they are quite impressive. It alss surprises me that he's an advocate of vegetarianism when he seems to be otherwise incredibly intelligent. Anyway, he's from Tucson, like you, so I figured since he's also involved in natural medicine/living you may have come across him at some point. Then again, I've never been to Tucson, so it may be a huge city for all I know. Anyway, just thought I'd ask.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Greg,
Tucson is not a huge city (1 million plus). Dr. Deal (who ran the blood tests) has his own reputation (I won't go into that in this forum).

I'm guessing that Mr. Adams has been doing this for around 5 years in total, maybe a bit longer. I'm also guessing that the specific deficiencies of a vegan diet will take a bit to catch up to him (he is still relatively young, apparently supplementing like mad), as many nutritionally-oriented doctors notice in long-term vegans. According to his diet "do's and don'ts, he may or may not be a vegan, at least from as far as I cared to look into it.

Raw foods in general are a very good idea, I don't argue that.

As for all the stuff he says he can do and/or does, talk is cheap, or even better, talk is "free" on the internet, as in has no value. I'm not necessarily impressed by his statements or his pictures (or his choice of ND).

Many vegan authors still make wonderfully smart statements and articles. Until I see one of them at 100 years old, I call BS on veganism as anything other than a temporary "cleansing" diet.

Have fun with this site:
http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet3.html

Anyway, I've had enough. Take what is useful, leave the rest.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Greg Battaglia

I agree. I wasn't in anyway supporting Adams'. Just curious of what you thought of him, as I know that you're the real deal, and although he seems to have good info in some respects, he's a partial quack. I do like the fact that he supports natural health/medicine and completely trashes processed food, additives, pharmaceuticals, etc and encourages exercise and things like vitamin D/sunlight. From your post I get the impression that you were a bit annoyed with my question. I had no intention of riling you up, just encouraging some healthy conversation.

PS
I second your opinion of his pictures. He looks soft and weak.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Greg,
I guess I was a bit antsy when I posted--I'm working longer days now with more patients and not getting in my workouts like I used to. Most of my current situation should shift in about two weeks. Nothing against you. We are on the same page.

Please begin healthy conversation again. It's a new day! :-)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
Greg Battaglia

Lol, I understand completely. Since my shoulders went I haven't been able to get an enjoyable workout in for almost a year now! lol. Anyway, all is good.