Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Ken Urakawa

Default HBO "Real Sports" on Boomeritis

Anyone see this? Thought it was pretty interesting. Ties in with the Health/Longevity Bias thread.

Condensed version is that Baby Boomers are trying to remain more active than most (any?) previous generation, and they're starting to see bodies wearing out, especialy knees, etc.

The chunk I saw, they were interviewing primarily runners/triathletes. The message was basically that these folks need to take it easier.

Super. A case of the 5% convincing the 95% to sit on their asses and play Bingo more?
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Scott Kustes

I talk to guys at work and they complain about their old age creaks. Then we all agree that we'd rather die with worn out knees and shoulders than with fat bellies and hearts screaming for mercy.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Nightshades, overly repetitive cardio wear and tear, sugar, plain weak muscles, etc., etc., etc...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

People need to realize moderation is the key to anything....too much exercise has negative effects....too much cardio....too much lifting....etc....we tend to live in a "more is better" society with very limited short term thinking and wanting quick rewards...a sure way to crash and burn and shorten longevity...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Andy Deas

Saw a bit of that episode. Reminds of a guy I work with who trains 25+ hours per week for Ironman-type events and then consumes every bit of junk food he can find since he burns through so many calories. I can't wait to see how he is doing in 20 years. When will people learn.
Andy Deas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-...rdio/#more-557
Quote:
Unfortunately, the popular wisdom of the past 40 years – that we would all be better off doing 45 minutes to an hour a day of intense aerobic activity – has created a generation of overtrained, underfit, immune-compromised exerholics.
Quote:
Something “primal” was happening and it made total sense in the context of the DNA blueprint. I was training like my hunter-gatherer ancestors, building my aerobic capacity slowly and steadily without overstressing my adrenals or my immune system, training my body to derive more energy from fats (and not glucose), requiring far fewer carbohydrate calories from my diet, and building muscle with occasional quick bursts of speed and intensity.
Quote:
The benefits of low level aerobic work (walking, hiking, cycling, swimming):
- increases capillary network (blood vessels that supply the muscle cells with fuel and oxygen)
- increases muscle mitochondria
- increases production of fat-burning and fat-transporting enzymes
- more fun, because you can talk with a partner while doing it

The benefits of interval training (sprinting in short intense bursts)
- increases muscle fiber strength
- increases aerobic capacity (work ability)
- increases muscle mitochondria (the main energy production center in muscle)
- increases insulin sensitivity
- increases natural growth hormone production

The costs of chronic (repetitious) mid- and high-level aerobic work
- requires large amounts of dietary carbohydrates (SUGAR)
- decreases efficient fat metabolism
- increases stress hormone cortisol
- increases systemic inflammation
- increases oxidative damage (free radical production)
All great stuff.....again...moderation.....as I train whenever and mostly intermittent and intervals....then just did a 6 mile AR sprint race and was whipping past lycra sponsored covered guys on mountain bikes trying to find their 70% HR.....ok they ran faster than me but I whooped them on the bike!....that and I had 9 Guinness the night before and my breakfast was coffee.....sad part is I will probably live longer too....
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Dave Paton

did anyone watch the segment after the Baby Boomers about that guy that does triathlons while pulling, pushing and peddling his adult handicapped son? It is simply amazing. This was a recap of an earlier episode where they featured the father/son team.
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

MOD-
You kick ass dude...breakfast and dinner of champions!!

Dave-

There is a youtube video of that father/son dealeo...if you ever need a good cry that is the fudging ticket. Amazing shite.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
MOD-
You kick ass dude...breakfast and dinner of champions!!
No...just never claimed to be a smart man....probably would of finished top 5 as I was only 3 min behind...but the first 1/2 mile running was all a disaster with cold sweats, diziness and just a plain sense of wanting to toss my cookies...but after that little hump it got so much easier....rule of thumb....don't go to a Century Club party the night before you have to wake up at 5am to go do a race....and Walshy would of been proud...not once piece of spandex on me...no knee braces or fancy glasses...and my sneakers are about 4 years old and heavy as crap....I am a disaster...Muddy Buddy rules!

Best part was yelling "On your left" to guys on bikes in full spandex sponsored covered jerseys who reacted like they never heard that said to them....and then some guy goes buy in adidas shorts and a t-shirt smelling of day old beer....ahhh yes...little victories is what makes life so much fun....
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Brian Shanks

MOD

I have only been on this site a couple of days, and you are one of the funniest posters. The only problem is that reading your posts makes me crave a cold one, and I am really really trying to dry out after a week of camping with the family.

Cheers!

Bri
Brian Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote