Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-02-2007, 04:06 AM   #11
Bo Bolund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Hmm. I wonder if the coldness is not just a product of fasting but the combination of fasting and low carbohydrate...
Good question! I think I would definitely be warm longer fasting on regular diet since carb stores will be larger, supporting metabolism.

I think I will try and see when body temp shuts down fasting on regular diet...
Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
Yvana van den Hork

Made a really interesting observation yesterday. I had my old favourite breakfast of veggie soup with egg & pollock plus coconut as well as the usual coffee. I was just fine throughout the day but started craving carbs later on, probably because of driving, which seems to burn through more carbs than one realizes because of the higher brain activity (constantly paying attention to traffic and sudden incidents).

I was noticing that I probably needed some extra carbs because my thinking slowed down for a bit and I got a bit of foggy eye vision. Something that would frequently happen late 2006 when I was dieting and then doing morning HIIT sessions with relatively few carbs. Nearly always woke up with tingling fingers. Which apparently was carpal tunnel syndrome, but symptoms were gone once I upped the carbs.

In the last few days the tingling reappeared when I'd lowered them for a bit after pigging out too much..

Around 6pm when I was visiting people, I had a kaki/sharonfruit and then this little piece of fruit satisfied me so much I only had dinner close to midnight which actually had quite a bit of carbs from basmati rice.

And guess what happened? I woke up twice at 4 am and 5am totally thirsty from not drinking enough and too much salt and craved carbs so badly I had OJ and when that was gone even 2 big glasses of lemonade. I can't even recall ever having pigged out in the midst the night in over 5 years.

Makes me wonder how carb craved you get from driving? I've had this insane craving for carbs when driving happening more often now. On my latest long drive (6-8 hrs total, I forgot) I ate my 2 meals (breakfast & dinner) but had about 50-60g of carbs just from hard candy. Then I was just fine. No cravings later on. I've started to treat driving as 'slow cardio' and hence readjusted carb requirements for it. Apparently i was spot on here, considering the nightly carb 'binge'

There are 2 possible reasons for why it is so draining to drive:
- traffic where I live is really intense and you have to watch your 'back' literally all the freaking time! On the motorway because of really extremely agressive driving and inside cities because of complex roads and lots of slow traffic
- having problems with eyes, viz. squinting = getting 2 different signals in, which requires more effort to focus and judge distances than for most.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Hmm. I wonder if the coldness is not just a product of fasting but the combination of fasting and low carbohydrate...
I've been thinking about this question quite a bit the last couple days. I think it's low carbs and fasting just enhances it. It's pretty warm out right now (by Canadian standards) and I feel a bit cool at times whereas others are complaining about the heat...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
Robb Wolf

I think the stress of driving can certainly make one a little carb-munchie.

Regarding the temperature issue I'm going to tinker with Zone food levels so I know the bare minimum food I need to get by and try to get that down in an IF format. Chico is looking just a scad cooler than hell.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
Yvana van den Hork

This week is a rest week from both lifting and cardio but I'm continueing with the same the low/high food pattern as before, except that I eat slightly more on the low days and less on the high days.
Temp has dropped too but as I'm a gurl, this could also be just the time of month. Yet I can see that it drops lower than in the 3 cycles before without a real rest week.

As of next week I'll be training in an easier (for the body, not for the agenda) every-other-day pattern and I'm hoping to see an increase of maintenance. If this doesn't happen in 2 weeks, I'll think to ditch the real 12hr fast pattern and go back to eating 3x/day but skip lunch (breakfast- early & late dinner).

I'm figuring that the mild stress from fasting is good for people that are stress-resistant, but for someone that's easily stressed, it's a bit much.
If it's not from going back from training EOD to 3x/wk then the only possible reason for a drop in mtn can be the IF.
I didn't just start it because it's very convenient to do, and supposedly healthy, but also to drop body fat. Sofar though, I've seen huge fluctuations in water weight (both an immense drop and gain) and not so much fat loss.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 AM   #16
Yvana van den Hork

It's not truly scientific to be changing a lot of factors at once, but I've decided to stop the true fasting over 12 hrs and re-introduce some foods, viz. fruit. I just feel that a true fast over the day doesn't work well for me re fat loss and LBM-maintenance. OTOH, the LBM-loss might be simply water loss which may indicate that I'm having less inflammation problems.

By only adding fruit I'll go in-between a true fast and eating. At least that's how I'm justifying this move.

I'm simply not happy with the drop in maintenance, even though apparently this is a maintenance that is normal for women my age and height (I'm 43 y.o. and 1,59m tall/short) working out every other day but otherwise having a sedentary job with only some walking.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Yvana van den Hork

Just an update. I've gradually given up on the two meals/day approach in a 12 hrs on/off fashion.
First came the snacks in between and then finally I've re-introduced a 3rd meal. I'm still sometimes just making that one into 1-2 snacks , depending on how low I want to have the calories.
The upside:
- maintenance has gone up to at least 2200 kcal again and when I was gone for the holidays (2 weeks) and ate just whenever it pleased me, I averaged close to 2600 kcal/day in 2 weeks. Without any formal exercise, except (which is funny considering my posts above), 400K driving a day (don't ask ). When I came back there was ZERO weight gain!

The downside:
- I'm missing the ease at which I could cut calories to really low levels, but then again, I no longer need to go as low to have a similar large deficit.

A possible explanation: it is said that catecholamine output goes up during the fasting times. It seems that this is offset by a drop in metabolism from thyroid slowdown. I've just started a regime of Cytomel (T3) last week since my T3-levels were chronically low. I'm just at a small dose of 12.5 mcg now and will build up towards 25mcg (1 tab). Had planned to stay at 6.25 mcg for 1-2 weeks but I tanked too badly in the afternoon = got really cold hands and felt tired.

So, perhaps IF is bad news for people with slow thyroids and not a problem for anyone with a 'normal' thyroid? Or would everyone's metabolism be affected negatively?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #18
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvana van den Hork View Post
A possible explanation: it is said that catecholamine output goes up during the fasting times. It seems that this is offset by a drop in metabolism from thyroid slowdown. I've just started a regime of Cytomel (T3) last week since my T3-levels were chronically low. I'm just at a small dose of 12.5 mcg now and will build up towards 25mcg (1 tab). Had planned to stay at 6.25 mcg for 1-2 weeks but I tanked too badly in the afternoon = got really cold hands and felt tired.

So, perhaps IF is bad news for people with slow thyroids and not a problem for anyone with a 'normal' thyroid? Or would everyone's metabolism be affected negatively?
I've been wondering about how metabolism is affected by IF...hm. Keep us posted?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #19
chris hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvana van den Hork View Post
It's not truly scientific to be changing a lot of factors at once, but I've decided to stop the true fasting over 12 hrs and re-introduce some foods, viz. fruit. I just feel that a true fast over the day doesn't work well for me re fat loss and LBM-maintenance. OTOH, the LBM-loss might be simply water loss which may indicate that I'm having less inflammation problems.

By only adding fruit I'll go in-between a true fast and eating. At least that's how I'm justifying this move.

I'm simply not happy with the drop in maintenance, even though apparently this is a maintenance that is normal for women my age and height (I'm 43 y.o. and 1,59m tall/short) working out every other day but otherwise having a sedentary job with only some walking.
Yvana,

How did you get on with fruit as the middle meal? I only ask as my father in law for years (probably 2 or 3 decades) has consistantly eaten porridge (organic/local) for breakfast, fruit for lunch and a home cooked evening meal. He cycles, kayaks, surfs, goes for LONG walks and is generally the fittest/healthiest 50something year old i know
chris hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #20
Ethan Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I haven't noticed any feeling of coldness, even when on the 24 hour EOD fasting (I'm now doing an 18/6 pattern due to work, I also really missed dinners).

I've also been supplementing fish oil at about 2200mg EPA+DHA total and 12.5 mg iodine, so that may definitely play a part.

I took my body temp several days while on the EOD fasting protocol, never saw it below 97.3, and sometimes it would be 98.4.
I certainly agree here. I'm only about 11 days into a regular ADF protocol and my body temp and response to external temperature seems to be about the same as before.