Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Will Walshe

Default Appetite for construction

Hey folks, first post here so I suppose greetings are in order: hello there!

I'm looking for advice on how to feed myself while working on a building site. Having adopted the glamouris lifestyle of the manual labourer a few weeks ago, my enthusiasm for working out has disappeared. I'm tending to just collapse from exhaustion at the end of the day. I used to do that most evenings anyway, but it was usually after lifting a pile of weights or something fun like that.

Right now I'm on a pretty standard paleo diet: your basic meat, vegetables, nuts and oils job. I've been trying the brute-force-and-ignorance approach of downing shots of olive oil after each meal to take in a whole heap of kcals, but this doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

So any thoughts on how I can keep training while working? I usualy end up doing construction work every summer, so it's not like I've never been exposed to these kinds of physical stresses before. This is my first year of paleo eating though, and i really don't want to go back to surviving on sandwiches and soft drinks all day. That just wasn't pretty.

Would more carbs helps? More meals? More sleep? More kcals? Is it even possible to combat the effects of 8-9 hours of physical exhertion with food? Help greatly appreciated.
Will Walshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Scotty Hagnas

Will-

You'll probably just need to eat more! You may want to eat a few more carbs, as it's summer when fruits are actually in season, but I'd add up the fat primarily. However, swigs of olive oil won't make you ever feel full, so I'd eat plenty of veggies also so that you actually feel full. I try to shoot for 1/2 lb of veggies at every meal; this keeps me satisfied for a good while.

Good luck!

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Will Walshe

Cheers Scotty. Dunno if I'm getting a 1/2lb per meal, but the amount of veg I eat already scares the hell out of normal people. I often need 2 plates for dinner

Feeling full isn't really an issue, I'm just severely tired by the end of the day. Adding more fat was the direction I was leaning too, guess I'm just wondering how much more olive oil I can actually tolerate...there must be a theoretical lethal dose at some point!

I suppose I should start tracking exactly how much I'm eating, seeing as the seat of the pants approach isn't working.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Will,
If you're sweating a lot, one of the minerals you may be depleted of in particular is magnesium. I like a product called Natural Calm (PM me if you'd like some). Also, there is Electro-Mix, which is made by the EmergenC people and is just electrolytes and some lime flavor (no sugar).

In terms of your fatigue and working out, what about the idea of "doing more" at your physical job, staying in shape through that, and leaving the workout-specific stuff until after the summer?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Scotty Hagnas

You might consider really keeping your workouts to a minimum, as Dr. G mentioned. If you are doing heavy physical labor, you are not going to have much left for heavy training. It would be pretty easy to push yourself into overtraining.

Be sure to get in some regular dynamic joint mobility work, though. In the gym, I'd just try to maintain some of your lifts with an infrequent, low volume approach.

Good luck!

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Will Walshe

Yeah, I realise it's going to be really, really hard to mix a physical job with any kind of effective training, but I love a challenge.

I'll start out with a maintainence approach, then slowly dial things up and see how I react. This will be while eating like a horse and hopefully sleeping 9+ hours a night. I think I can make this work, but this is probably because I'm 22 and don't have enough experience with over-ambitious projects crashing down around my ears yet. You guys can reserve the right to hit me with an "I told you so".

Garret, I'm supplementing with ZMA already, is Natural Calm vastly superior?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Chris Forbis

I had a hard manual labor job (stacking lumber coming off a saw) one summer... it about killed me (this was when I was 6'4", 150 pounds). Doing it again I would try to abide by these things.

1. Eat a hearty breakfast. I'd make it as big as possible without it hindering my work.
2. Eat as much as you want after work.
3. Have a light lunch, and keep some raw nuts (I like almonds) around during the day. Drink lots of water during the day. I also like Dr. G's electrolyte idea (electro-mix).
4. Add or subtract carbs as you feel necessary.
5. 9+ hours of sleep a night.
6. As you feel like it, throughout the day, throw in little physical challenges. A nice, quick set of pushups. A few pullups on an overhead beam. Lift something explosively. A short sprint across the job site. Just base it on how you feel.
7. On days off of work, if you feel like it, do something mildly exerting and fun. Pickup basketball or something, but only if you're feeling up to it.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Will,
Natural Calm is a powder, supposedly a pH-balanced and very bioavailable form of magnesium citrate, made to mix into water. 1 Tbsp has 600mg magnesium.

On my hard workout days (metcons in the sun), especially now that I'm in the Tucson summer, I find myself taking around 1600mg Mg from various sources in two separated doses (typically a combo of Natural Calm and a buffered mineral ascorbate powder). I recently became acquainted with the Natural Calm product within the last couple months.

Considering I took a dose before my fixie ride (very hilly, on purpose, a very common ride for me) this morning, added 5# of water to my (normal) load, and then basically went and nearly tied my PR for that ride, I'm going to say that I'm noticing significant stuff from this product. It wasn't until I almost finished the ride that I realized how fast I had gone, I was absolutely expecting a tough ride--I hadn't gotten on my bike in three weeks!

I've been doing a ZMA approach as well, with the Zinc Tally/Challenge liquid. It's the same stuff that Poliquin talks about, when one reaches zinc saturation, the stuff supposedly tastes like licking metal. I'm definitely not there yet, and the combo is likely restoring my T balance to where it should be.

There's my input. For hydration, I prefer herbal teas on a regular basis. I don't know about sipping the Natural Calm all day.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

I second the water and Electromix recommendations. Also good salt is important.

I used to do a lot of Natural Calm and learned the hard way that Mg glycinate or taurate has higher bowel tolerance than Mg citrate. I can do Mg citrate but only in way smaller doses than 1 tsp of Calm.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
David Aguasca

i believe scotty and garrett have got it right.

i've been working as a theatre carpenter for nearly a year now. i'm not a big guy by any means, especially compared to the guys at the shop. i have to keep up to their pace, as we have very definite deadlines (the opening of a show.)

when i started the job, i unwisely tried to maintain my workout schedule: 5 days a week, a mix of GPP and heavy lifting days, usually 3 days and 2 days, respectively. i'd also climb on the weekends. that soon burned me out...

i toned it down and found a comfortable balance. for me, that was 2 days a week, with climbing on the weekend occasionally. for you, it could be different.

things that i've learned:
-sleep was THE most important thing for me. without it my job is enough to wear me out, without the help of training on top of it.
-keep a sharp eye out for overuse injuries if you're planning on continuing training. i've been staving off tendinitis in my hands and left bicep successfully. the sleep is important for this. fish oil is fantastic too.

-just doing 2 strength sessions a week kept me satisfied. through the winter i was doing upper-body gymnastics, and then in the spring i switched to modified Starting Strength (3x5 squats, an upper body lift, and then L-sits or Windshield wipers). i kept these workouts to under 45 minutes.

-be aware of how you're lifting at work. i have a tendency to pick things up with my right hand, and if you're bending down to lift objects off the floor hundreds of times a day, it'll cause undue wear and tear, and muscle imbalances. my right anterior deltoid and forearm are noticeably bigger than my left ones, from handling nailguns, screwguns, and hammers 50hrs/week.

good luck!

Last edited by David Aguasca : 07-02-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: cuz i wanted to.
David Aguasca is offline   Reply With Quote