Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 07-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Troy Archie

Default Shoes

Looking to order up a pair of weightlifting shoes. Got my eye on a couple names but am curious if anyone can point me to a reliable and decently priced seller.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

http://www.werksan.com/

I got the blue suede ($99). Fits my narrow foot pretty well. Be sure and tell them your normal shoe size because the sizing is all wonky on them. I like them.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Eric Jones

We sell them! More precisely, we sell direct from Glenn Pendlay and WFW

I have the red suede Do-Wins myself. Once broken in they are actually quite comfortable. I went a half size smaller to ensure a snug fit.

linky: http://www.roguefitness.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=133
Eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Jordan Glasser

Just a heads up. It's funny that no one has encoutered the same problem, but here goes. I had a pair of adidas, but they were too small. I used them for a year, I loved them, but had no room in the toe box and it was effecting my jerks. I saved some money getting a pair of do-wins as replacements, but there is a major difference between the 2 shoes. First of is the amount of heel lift in the asian made shoes. At first I thought this would be a plus, given my relatively tight hamstrings. But in the end, too much forward inclination began to give patella pain in the squat, threw off my positioning during the 2nd pull, and is not helping my torso to stay erect during the dip and drive of the jerk. I have the right size adidas on order, and until then I will either lift in tennis shoes or barefeet.

Apparently asian shoes are designed to emphasize quads during the lifts, something that the buyer should be aware of.

Plus, in the end, I laughed my ass off trying to save 50 bucks on the sport of weightlifting. Why.....my hockey stick alone cost me 250, mtn bike over 1k, climbing gear $$$, snowboarding $$$$, compared to the 150 bucks if I go big with the adidas shoes. Which I will never need to replace again.....unlike my bike, hockey equipment, etc......

my 2 cents,

Jordan
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

I have a pair from VS Athletics, probably the lowest price shoe out there, but for my first pair, OK. If I ever do get the Oly Lifts down, will reward myself with better shoes, until then.............................
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
John Seiler

Jordan,

I experienced the same thing. They seemed like well-made shoes but the heels were just too high. I felt a little like Pee-Wee Herman. Tequila!
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Chuck T's $30 at Sports Authority.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
Jordan,

I experienced the same thing. They seemed like well-made shoes but the heels were just too high. I felt a little like Pee-Wee Herman. Tequila!
I did order a pair of adidas ironwork II. Got them a week ago, and have never looked back! I love them. I wish I never tried to save the extra buck. Anatomically the adidas suit my style of squatting and lifting. They get my vote!
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Kevin Anderson

I had a pair of the top of the line adidas and they were too narrow and didn't last long at all before falling apart. My DoWins have lasted much longer and the higher heel helps with my lack of ankle flexibility. They take some time to get used to but I've never had any problems with knee pain or anything like that. Basketball and soccer take care of the knee pain for me. It is all personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable in. A couple of people I train with prefer the ironworks over the top of the line adidas.
Kevin Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Troy Archie

Irony!

Alright, I just got my Do-Win in the mail like 5 minutes before I read this post and am currently wearing them.

Problem though; they sent the wrong size. I ordered an 10 1/2 and got an 11. They fit ok, are a bit long but feel nice everywhere else. Do I send them back? That's going to cost me about another $60. Blah.