Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #21
David Wood

Robb:

Man, seeing that post again almost made me cry . . . I know it's unlikely, but I frickin' *dream* of reconciliation.

Great thread here; thanks to all.
David Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #22
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Robb:

Man, seeing that post again almost made me cry . . . I know it's unlikely, but I frickin' *dream* of reconciliation.

Great thread here; thanks to all.
Yea...I know what you mean. I seriously miss being at the certs, meeting new people, catching up with old friends. Who knows, nothings impossible.

I have been, am now and likely always will be a staunch supporter of the CrossFit community (and beyond). I am also a firm believer in the technology...the areas in which I am or have been critical involve elements I'd like to improve. You know, "community developed..."

A lot of shit has gone down and I've really tried to maintain an objective stance...some have noticed that, some not. Oh well!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #23
Jonas Lind

Yeah, for us forumlurkers it has been sad to see this whole thing. Discussions on the CF boards were much more lurkable before.
I love CF, I follow the WOD, and I think coach G is a genious. But CF has a side to it that sometimes freaks me out, and I've also stated that over there at times. So, to me, its not hard to have an opinion. - Even though its just based on reading posts on the internet...
Go Robb!
Jonas Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
Leo Soubbotine

I had a problem after a cert.

Being very upset with the quality of the cert and Coach's comment during it- "Post the good, the bad and the ugly in the comments next day" - I did 3 days later due to our long drive from Golden, CO and stop made at Witchita Falls Weightlifting club at 9 pm for about 3 hours to pick Mark Rippetoe's brain (great old school guy with lots of knowledge and very very helpful. Great respect). That made my day and overall opinion on the cert and whole trip a little better.

I expected much better quality of instruction (to say that the excercise hands on section and knowledge of LII trainers was sad is a compliment) due to cert's price and fact that CF is not recognized by any insurance company meaning that to run a facility you'd need to spend more cash on other cert. Crazy.

So after posting the comment - I'm pretty sure it was erased later (though don't quote me on that) and recieving a call from Nicole - I was very unhappy with the hypocricy.

CF is great. Great system, great results, lots of pain and fun. But something is wrong with management.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
Steve Shafley

That's too bad. My observations of the aftermath of the Ann Arbor cert seemed pretty positive, but I was only there to meet up with Pierre Auge, and didn't crash anything other than the aftermath.

I have to say that the XF folks I've met, in person, have been positive, enthusiastic, and fit.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #26
Leo Soubbotine

The community is great. Almost everyone is fit, strong, lean and excited.
Coach and his lecture was excellent.

The excercise part was a joke. Level 2 trainers couldn't teach the squat and especially the deadlift. I had to keep my hips almost at parallell to make them happy - and I'm 6'3'' and long legs and arms...

Olympic lifts were obviously worse due to the lack of foundation (squat and dead). The press and variations are the easiest.
And the lifts is the key part for me as a trainer to teach my clients.
I was very disappointed.

There's was much more but I don't want to go there in details.
It's a better idea to me to get excercise knowledge as a trainer outside of CF when real coaches will help you with the technique and combine the knowledge to teach CF to clients.

Very excited to see Danny Camargo tomorrow for a 2 hour olylifting workshop. He's a regional USAW coach and Team Florida head coach.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #27
Steve Shafley

Trouble is that the OLs really can't be learned in a day.

Danny John fixed up my power clean and snatch with a few simple cues...they became way better, but, for me to really cement all of that, I'll need a long period of hammering the motor learning.

This is why I like that template of:

warm up
skill practice
workout
whatever you want if you've got time.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
Leo Soubbotine

Yeap that's I've been doing. Discovered that if the bar contacts the thighs during a lift - that's better and stronger (was working on my p.clean and press for strongman comp) before ever reading about it.

My point was - don't bother teaching olylifts if you have no clue about the squat and dead. They need to work on quality of their trainers before letting them teach at LII. May be make them attend Powerlifting and Olylifting certs before attempting to teach LII.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #29
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Soubbotine View Post
They need to work on quality of their trainers before letting them teach at LII. May be make them attend Powerlifting and Olylifting certs before attempting to teach LII.
I've met some great CF trainers and I've met some terrible ones but CF or not it was exactly the same way with just about every S&C coach or personal trainer too. The conclusion I came to was that it is very much more about what skills/mindset the individual brings to the certs than the actual cert itself CF, NSCA, ACSM it is unfortunately not a CF certification specific thing.

Another thing is experience, even if they had attended powerlifting/o-lifting certs if not taught about the differences between taller/shorter people face with certain things they wouldn't think to change anything.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 AM   #30
Jonas Lind

I don't know. There seems to be alot of good trainers in CF. And the certs have a very good reputation(though a tad pricey) for a reason.
Sounds like a one time thing. Or maybe its you?!(Just kidding)
Jonas Lind is offline   Reply With Quote