Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default General Malaise

Man it has been a tough couple of weeks. A little over 2 weeks ago I pulled a muscle in my back during no-gi. A week ago Friday I sprained my wrist pretty bad and I came down with a cold this week. If I was training like normal I would immediately think over training / under recovery but I havent been training hard at all.

I thought my wrist was going to get better but 10 days out and it hurts just as bad as day 1. I plan on going to the doctor when I get back from my business trip just to make sure there isnt a more serious problem.

So the main reason for my post is my wife and kids are on vacation to MI and I havent been able to get any sympathy. Wait what the hell am I thinking posting this.

What really sucks about my wrist is that the pain comes from any rotation. I moved an oly bar to my squat racks and thought I was going to cry. I am going to take easy the rest of the week and then ease back into it next week.

All right enough whining and back to work.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
So the main reason for my post is my wife and kids are on vacation to MI and I havent been able to get any sympathy. Wait what the hell am I thinking posting this.
Why did your wife and kids go to the Moynihan Institute for vacation? Never new Walshy had a room and board setup......and yes you are right...no sympathy....take some time off...have a beer...hit the strip club....and then think how things could be a hell of alot worse....
Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

You need to chill before stuff hits back.

Hard to draw the line.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Robb Wolf

MOD-
Exactly my question!
Derek-
How much sleep you getting? Is it quality? If things are piling up like that certainly time to dial back, especially if there is any disturbance in the force(sleep).

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

Uhm yeah, like I said I am a temporary bachelor so I probably haven't been getting enough sleep wink, wink, nod.

I am sure that has a lot to do with it as I am so much better off with a set sleep schedule.

Both of the injuries came from BJJ / gappling. It really is true that the fighting / competing isn't the hard part it is the training that will kill you.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Yael Grauer

I'm tellin' ya, Wobenzym is the cure-all. I sware I don't have stock in their company.

Hope you feel better.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Have you been doing the icing and all that stuff? When OHS's were killing my wrist Greg and Aimee's suggestion of taking a paper dixie cup and freezing it and use that to massage the wrist/forearm helped a lot.

I'm curious about them going to see the MI too?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
John Seiler

[Derek] would drink, he would womanize. He would make outrageous claims like 'he invented the question mark'. The kind of general malaise only the genius possess and the insane lament.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Brandon Enos

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
[Derek] would drink, he would womanize. He would make outrageous claims like 'he invented the question mark'. The kind of general malaise only the genius possess and the insane lament.
I knew the title sounded familar!
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
Derek Simonds

I wish I knew where it is from!

Ah the magic of Google! I truly hope that I am not Dr. Evils father. That could complicate my life significantly. I wander how much bail is if your son tries to blackmail the world with a laser beam. I have to imagine it is pretty salty.

Last edited by Derek Simonds : 07-13-2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: googled the quote and found out what I was missing.