Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #101
Matt Cricchio

3X3 Deadlifts #330

Most difficult Deadlift session yet. It was also the most fulfilling. I know my proportions don't lend themselves to Deadlifts but I got A LOT left in me. I am going to have to work hard for it. So be it.

3 rounds-

10 (5 L, 5R) Power Snatch with #40 Dumbbell
25 sit-ups

First time doing CA WOD. I was sweating but I don't think it was aggressive enough for my weight room met-con. If I was to re-do this I would snatch heavier and I would do overhead sit-ups with the same denomination.

15 Jumping Muscle-Ups, 3X5

I raised the rings to a challenging height. Had to jump pretty hard. I found the transition to support to be much harder than I thought it would. I liked them.

Rest tomorrow.
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #102
Matt Cricchio

I had to combine my Friday workout with today's because I was taking care of important things yesterday which precluded me from training.

ME PressX1 #180 (f)

I got it above my head but it wouldn't budge to lock out. I tried #175 and I couldn't get that either. This type of thing would have driven me nuts a long time ago. But in the past year and a half I've learned to take failing on something in stride.

5X3 Front Squats #205

Warmed up as usual stretching my wrists with sets at #45, #95, #115, #135. They felt much better this week. I am going to add #5 next Saturday and so on.

I did the BB style FS for my work sets. They sucked at first. I wasn't getting depth and I was leaning over so far I almost dumped the bar. I settled in for the rest of the sets and they got much better.

5X3 Clean Pulls #180

I was beat at this point but I tried to explode past the knees. I am not sure if I am supposed to have an explosive shrug at the top of these or even try to triple extend. I pull as hard as I can, triple extend, and let the weight go up as high as possible without pulling myself under it. I only want the benefits that the movement confers, so I an going for progress not perfection.

3X10 Windmills #35 dumbells

Much better than last Saturday. I will move up #5 next week.

50m, 100m, 200m, 300m, sprints. Walk back recoveries.

These sucked. I was cooked. Got 'em done though and tried to put out.
The plan is to press on Monday as usual and go for #180 again next Saturday
Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #103
Matt Cricchio

5X3 Press #155

This was fucking hell on wheels. I was struggling very early on, nearly missing. But I got every damn one. Jeez.

8X5 False Grip Ring Pull-Ups

I need to raise the rings a bit on these to get a better concentric portion. I am concentrating on technique and keeping the rings close as I raise myself up.

10X3 Back Squats #285

Again, hard. This was my hardest squat day yet. I got all of them though. Next week is my last week of this strength cylce before I deload.

Supersets-

10X3
Overheard sit-ups with #27.5 dumbbells
One legged RDL with #50 dumbbells
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #104
Jacob Rowell

Nice work. Now let's see a big press on Friday.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #105
Matt Cricchio

I'll press as heavy as I can.

In organized PT we sprinted a lot and ran 1.5 miles at a moderate pace. It worked for my LSD.

3X2 Power Cleans #150

I am feeling much better at these. My form is catching up. Hopefully I get #175 in the next couple of months.

7X3 Weighted Ring Dips #20

I jacked my shoulder on something a week ago. It's been hurting on various movements but I've pushed through it. I couldn't even support myself tonight on the rings and I got about two half hearted sets in before I shut it down. I'm going to need this shoulder in the future and I can't break it now.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #106
Matt Cricchio

I've been feeling fairly beat up all week. I'm leaving in a week for a long time and I have been trying to get that situation under control.

1X3 Deadlift #345

My form was poor. Everything hurt. I was pissed off. Shut it down. Not what I usually do. In fact, I don't think I've ever done it.

But this is progress, not perfection.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #107
Matt Cricchio

Last Friday:

MEX1 Press

I got #180 above my head but I just couldn't press it to lockout and put my head through.

I'm feeling rickety and beat as hell so Jake suggested dropping all lifts that weren't a Squat, Press, or Deadlift and ditching the metcons for now. I have some long travel coming up this week and given how I feel generally I am going to take this week off and start back up with the new cycle when I am settled in to where I am going.

Let's recap some goals:

#175 Power Clean (I'm at #150X2)

#200 Press (I'm at #175X1)

#300 Back Squat (I'm at #285X3)

#400 Dead Lift (This was #450 but after discussion we lowered it. I'm at #345X3)

Strict Muscle-Up (I can do jumping muscle ups with the rings above my head but it's anyones guess as to how close I actually am)

6 minute mile (Untested in a long time. We'll go with pretty slow right now)

Free Standing Hand Stand Push-Up (Untested)

24 inch or greater Vertical Jump (Untested and 24' is an arbitrary number I picked. This will likely be adjusted after future training)
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #108
Matt Cricchio

My new training cycle looks like this:

Week 1:

Monday
Back Squat 5X5 #245
Push Press 8X2 #145
Abs/Back
LSD Run

Tuesday
1-2-3 Jump 4 x 4 each leg
Rhythmic Jump Squat - 4x8
Broad Jump - 4x6
Low-Depth Box Jump - 4x5
Push/Pull

Wednesday
DL 1x5
Weightroom Metcon
Run 800x3 (Rest 1:1)

Thursday
Push/Pull and/or Abs/Back

Friday
Back Squat MEx5
Push jerk MEx3
Running Metcon

Saturday
Broad Jump - 4x6
Low-Depth Box Jump - 4x5
Sprints (1 ea.: 200M, 400M, 800M)

Sunday
Rest

Week 2:

Monday
Back Squat 5x5 @ 255
Abs/Back
LSD Run

Tuesday
Broad Jump - 4x5
Low-Depth Box Jump - 4x5
Push/Pull

Wednesday
Power Clean and press up to 3RM(1 Clean, 3 Presses)
DL 1x5
Weightroom Metcon
Run 800x4

Thursday

Friday
Back Squat MEx5
Running Metcon
Abs/Back

Saturday
Broad Jump - 4x5
Low-Depth Box Jump - 4x5

Sunday
OFF

Week 3

Monday
Back Squat 5x5 @ 265
Push Press 8x2 @ 155
Abs/Back
LSD Run

Tuesday
Rhythmic Jump Squat - 4x6
Broad Jump - 3x5
Low-Depth Box Jump - 3x5
Push/Pull

Wednesday
DL 1x5
Weightroom Metcon
Run 800x5

Thursday

Friday
Back Squat MEx5
Push Jerk MEx3
Running Metcon

Saturday
Rhythmic Jump Squat - 4x6
Broad Jump - 3x5
Low-Depth Box Jump - 3x5

Sunday
OFF

Week 4

Monday
Back Squat 3x5 @ 225
Abs/Back
LSD Run

Tuesday
Push/Pull

Wednesday
Power Clean and press up to 1RM(1 Clean, 1 Press)
DL 1x5
Weightroom Metcon
Run 800x2

Thursday

Friday
Back Squat MEx1
Running CF
Abs/Back

Saturday

Sunday
OFF

1-2-3 Jump- This is a drill that is performed in rhythmic alternating fashion. Take 2
short steps and jump as high as possible. As soon as you hit the ground take 2 more steps and jump with the opposite leg this time. Continue to do that alternating push off legs back and forth without stopping until the desired # of repetitions are complete

Standing broad jump- Stand in a stationary position and jump up and forward as far as you can. Pause and re-set yourself and perform the required number of repetitions.

Rhythmic jump squat- This exercise is known as “leap-ups” in some other programs. In a rhythmic fashion squat down and jump back up as high as possible. Can be done using either a ¼ squat motion or a deeper squat. Can be done with the hands either behind the head or with the hands reaching up with each jump.

Low box depth jumps- Using a low box (<18 inches) stand on the box and step off. At ground contact either immediately jump up as high as possible or jump up onto another box if you have one available. If you don’t have another box turn around and step back up on the box and repeat or if using another box simply turn around on that box and repeat. Each ground contact equals one repetition.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #109
Matt Cricchio

Maybe posting my next 4 weeks in all of it's entirety was a bit much. I want to add a disclaimer to that schedule, partly for Jake, mostly for me. Due to where I am and what I am doing I will have to miss some of those events for other duties I am required to perform.

20 minute sustained run.

Probably got in almost three miles. Felt fucking great. I hardly run anymore too. The carry over from lifting is incredible, though I know this is going to involve in the direction of heavy running in order to make me better I am pretty satisfied with where I am now hardly training it.

5X5 Back Squats #245

Felt easy. I was rolling to the outside of my feet on some of these and I had to reset and concentrate on distributing my weight evenly across the soles of my feet.

8X2 Push Press #145

These were really easy. I like pressing.

3X5 Windmills #50 DB

I am getting better at these. They are going to be my monday "abs/back" with them getting increasingly heavier each week. Do these count as back?

I am kind of dizzy now.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #110
Jacob Rowell

Good to see you're up and running out there.

With less lifting, this 4 weeks should be pretty flexible. Shouldn't be the end of the world if you have to miss a session, do it elsewhere, or at another time.

I got my contest this coming Saturday. Should be a blast.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote