Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #141
Matt Cricchio

MEX3 Press

Went for #175 but only got it up once. Tried to get a 1RM at #185 but I couldn't get it past my head. Pressed #155 which is not a PR. It got up easy. I've added #25 to my Press in 3 months. This is a fact I have to keep in mind.

I also had to do these using a bench press rack, so it was weird.

YTWL 3X15 unweighted

These actually got kind of hard. My shoulders are crunchy.

3 rounds-
Hill sprint
Bear Crawl down hill
Superman Plank at the starting point

This was a pain in the ass
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #142
Jacob Rowell

Running in a group help the run time?

That's 80 seconds off your 1.5 time. In like a week as I'm sure you know.

What happened with the press? You decided to go for a 1RM instead of a 3RM?
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #143
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
Running in a group help the run time?

That's 80 seconds off your 1.5 time. In like a week as I'm sure you know.

What happened with the press? You decided to go for a 1RM instead of a 3RM?
No, it seriously has been the lifting. Since squatting my gait has changed a lot. I've opened my stride and I can feel myself generating power. The 11:30 1.5 mile was when I was worn down and had already decided not to let it all go. This whole strength thing is making a huge difference, so much so that 10:16 is as good as my best time at #165. I'm #185 now.

I tried to do #175X3 and only got it up once. It wasn't hard so I figured that if I can't get the 3RM I wanted I might as well go for a new 1RM PR. Didn't happen.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #144
Jacob Rowell

That's good news. The Marine OCS guy's times are starting to pick up, and we're following a similar format of strength training, metcons, and sprints/intervals, and a wee bit of longer stuff. I think he's knocked down from a 19:50 3 mile to around 19:00.

Looks like we got something good going on here.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #145
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
That's good news. The Marine OCS guy's times are starting to pick up, and we're following a similar format of strength training, metcons, and sprints/intervals, and a wee bit of longer stuff. I think he's knocked down from a 19:50 3 mile to around 19:00.

Looks like we got something good going on here.

Something is working.

Saturday: I had to go through some mountains. 4-7 miles of hiking. I didn't work out.

Sunday: Softball tournament. I wasn't going to miss this to spend some time alone in a shitty gym hoisting weights. Didn't make up Saturdays workout.

Tomorrow: We will be back on track.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #146
Matt Cricchio

This week:

Monday

1 Mile Test
5x5 Back Squat #275
7X3 Weighted Pull-Ups #15
Abs/Back
3X15 YTWL's #5

Tuesday

VJB
5X5 Pendlay Rows #145
CF (Weight room based)

Wednesday

3x2 Press #165
3x3 DL #345
Tempo/Fartlek Run
6 x (4 minutes hard stride,
1 minute jog recovery)

Thursday

Push/Pull
and/or
Abs/Back

Friday

MEx3 Back Squat
CF (Running based)
3X15 YTWL's #5

Saturday

VJB
3xMax Chins
15 minutes handstand work
Sprints (2 ea.: 200M, 400M, 800M)x2

Sunday

OFF
Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #147
Matt Cricchio

7X3 Weighted Pull-Ups #15

Not hard. Pull up very high and tried to pull my shoulder baldes together. Next time I will get my pointy nips to the bar.

3X5 Windmills #55 Dumbells

These were not easy today. My shoulder wasn't stable. I must remember to keep my eyes on the bell and remain tight through the shoulder, elbow, and wrist.

3X15 YTWL's #5

I'm not going to lie, these are difficult. They're working something I've never touched before. Crazy.

5x5 Back Squat #275

I was a bit scared of these for some reason. I resolved to get every single one. I'm coming to realize that resolving to do well before an event and concentrating on movement and completeting a movement without thinking of anything else is key for me. I have a busy mind and it gets the best of me sometimes. I have to always remember to clear it and without doubt finish the fucking exercise

1 Mile Test- 7:50

I went into this one with a plan to burn through the 2nd and 4th lap. Then I had to use the bathroom. I think running while having to go is worse than squatting and having to go. My mind went into all possible scenarios and the running became secondary I stopped at what I thought was a bathroom. It wasn't. I finished the run. Not as good as I hoped, but after the mountains, squatting, and the runs it's not that disappointing.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #148
Jacob Rowell

For all the pressing I've been doing lately, my shoulders have felt great. I blame it on the prehab. I'm still doing mine unweighted - from what I hear, 10# is considered extremely heavy.

Leave it to the runs to mess up a good run. Try the run before squats next week, see how it's looking.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #149
Matt Cricchio

5X5 Pendlay Rows #145

Weight was perfect. Came up easy. I had to remember to let them go to a dead stop at the bottom and not catch it on the rebound.

3 rounds-
10 #50 Dumbell Swings
10 Clapping Push-ups

Not bad. Untimed but very fast. Next time I am going to slap my chest for these. I also figured out a better way to swing the DB which made it more KB like.

My hamstrings are sore as hell today.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #150
Matt Cricchio

3x3 DL #345

My hamstrings, ass, and quads were killing me going in. My last set was ugly, but other than that I think I was scaring people in the gym when I started punching and kneading my legs after the first two sets. I probably have rhabdo.

3x2 Press #165

I thought these were push presses, so I did that. Fuck. I could have pressed them pretty easily.

I want to squat heavy on friday so I ditched the run to let my legs recover. They're more sore than I've felt in awhile.

On that note, instead of running I ate a pint of ice cream. That's right. It was my first poor food choice in 6 weeks. No bullshit, I have not eaten anything bad in 6 weeks. I feel drunk now and will probably have a hangover tomorrow. I'm a party animal.