Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Quality vs. IF: Opinions?

Just curious what everyone's stance was on this. The IF studies done on rodents (and humans too, I believe) paid little or no attention to food quality given to the test subjects. I believe the IFing mice were fed a very high carb processed diet, yet still saw dramatic health improvements/life extension. Considering that things like beans, whole grains, and raw dairy aren't the WORST things to be consumed (that would be processed food of course), adding these foods to an IF diet probably wouldn't make much of a difference. Or would it? I mean, look at Ross Enamait. The guy eats plentiful amounts of beans, grains, and dairy (raw milk) and he's a complete animal. I guess I'll sort of treat this like a survey, so basically A) Would you IF with all whole foods (including non-paleo whole foods like grains, beans, dairy) or B) No IF, but only paleo foods ad libitum. It would be interesting to see the results of a study comparing "normal" food IF mice (or even better, humans!) to ad lib paleo mice. Both seem to be very powerful in improving health, and fit the evolutionary model, but I wonder which is more powerful?
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Stuart Mather

Greg, isn't the third option, ie. IF using high quality low carb uprocessed , even better?

Stuart.
Stuart Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

I don't know Ross' daily health....does he suffer from inflammation? Does he have other issues and injuries? Will he be just as healthy in 10 years? All questions to consider before you look at someone and say "Well it works for him"...as I can find Olympic quality athletes who may have heart conditions or other medical concerns....

Ideally IF with Paleo food should give you maximum health....if you have non paleo foods here and there your body can probably deal with it just fine...it's the repeated use that adds up on our whole health.....I believe fasting is a important healing process the body needs whether IF....one day a week...or whatever....as for which is more powerful? Probably would be independent to the person as everyone has different base of health to start from.....
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Troy Archie

Do what works for you.

I wish I could bread and have a 6-pack, hell I'd love to be able to eat a peice of bread and not feel bloated and unsatisfied and craving more. It would also be great to be able to eat kidney beans and not have wicked gas but alas...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Oh, I know, I'm definitely not suggesting that anyone switch from paleo to non-paleo. I just found it interesting that IF was so powerful that it trumped a highly processed diet. As for Ross, if you peruse over at his message boards at all he tends to chime in every so often and has certainly commented that his health is nothing short of vibrant. He claims to feel excellent. He sure looks it too.
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

I think there's individual variance... One way to test out allergies/reactions is to stop eating something for 30-40 days (at all at all at all), then reintroduce it into the diet quickly and in large amounts and see what happens. I've read that it takes four days for a mast cell/histamine response, so pig out on Thursday and see how you feel on Sunday. Oh, and make sure to take probiotics and CLO and mucilaginous herbal teas in those 30-40 days...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

What does mucilaginous mean?

Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
Steve Shafley

Most folks don't have a problem with foods many here are concerned with. I do think that some care should be taken to eat quality foods, and with organic foods becoming more and more readily available and inexpensive, it should be easier and reasonable to eat more organic.

I IF 3-7 days a week. When I eat crap during the feeding window, I get crap results. I can eat 4000-5000 calories in 5 hours without a problem if I eat all the "junk" foods. It's not a problem.

When I eat "clean" then I'm lucky to get 2000 calories within that window. There's a balance to be struck, and I haven't struck it too often. I don't think you need to deny yourself the occasional splurge or comfort pizza, as long is it's infrequent and appreciated. Some folks get off on being aesthete and austere...if that's you, more power to you, but that's it's own kink.

As always, refer to the process of eliminating foods that might make you feel like shit. For example...I have a hideous sweet tooth, and I like donuts, but, invariably, after wolfing down 2-3 donuts, I will feel like crap, and that will stay with me for a few hours. More easily fatigued, a feeling of bloat, and just a general mild malaise.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hirakawa View Post
What does mucilaginous mean?

Mucilage

From what I understand, mucilaginous herbs are generally valued for their ability to reduce inflammation and sooth the mucus membranes. They can also help with detoxification.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
Yael Grauer

And they are good for helping restore gut health, which is important so that you can feel a huge difference when you destroy it again by eating food you are allergic to. Mwahhaha.

Okay we learned something.

(Now if only I could figure out why I get so drunk off of less than two beers...)