Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Daniel Roberts

Default IF Beginner

Hello Guys !

I'm not that skilled when it comes to nutrition , so this is how I do my IF ( I don't really know if it's IF , I've read Ori Hofmekler's Warrior Diet , and I started on it ) :

- I usually have a eating window between 5pm - 9pm
- I usually fast 24 hours , and when I eat , I eat whatever I want
- I train while fasting ( at 2pm )

What happes if you train after you feast ? What food should I eat , to maximize the weight loss ?

My goal is to burn fat , I need to lose about 20 pounds

Thanks for taking the time to read my post !
Daniel Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Before you go jumping off the deep end, tell us what "I eat whatever I want" constitutes as. McDonald's? Deep Fried Mars bars? Spinach? Grass-fed Beef?

I ask that question because you're going to have better results by simply cleaning up your diet and going paleo rather than doing IF with shitty food. I’m thinking that if you did do IF’n with burgers and fries you’d get negative results but I’ve never tried it…

As for training after you feast...nothing wrong with that but training while in the fast will result in greater fat burn. If your feast is a FEAST then going for a training session afterwards might find you a bit sluggish.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

I think Ron pointed out in another thread that the next day's fast is more difficult if he eats too many junk carbohydrates.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Daniel Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Before you go jumping off the deep end, tell us what "I eat whatever I want" constitutes as. McDonald's? Deep Fried Mars bars? Spinach? Grass-fed Beef?
I kinda eat whatever is there , whether it's junk food , or healthy food . I guess that can't be so good , can it ?

Regarding the paleo diet , I don't even know where to start .
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Troy Archie

Start here. Gold
Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
Daniel Roberts

Could you please explain ( in layman's terms ) , what blocks ( of food , I presume ) are ?

Thanks a lot !

Dan
Old 07-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

I prefer not to use the block method myself, eating cleanly will give you better results than eating whatever you want.

Not sure how much you weigh but here is what I'd recommend for your window:

-Get in at least LBM in protein in your window meaning if you weight 200 with 20% bodyfat then you should shoot for 160 g protein.
-Carbs - focus on getting carbs in from vegetables like broccoli, spinach...etc (pototos and corn don't count!), fruits are great too but don't over do it, vegetables first, fruits second
-fats - Focus on fats from things like olive oil, fish oil...etc

Example meals:
steak + broccoli (1-2 cups)
chicken+pesto+olive oil+parmesaean cheese + spinach (4-6 cups)
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
I think Ron pointed out in another thread that the next day's fast is more difficult if he eats too many junk carbohydrates.
I think that's what I said. I think I might have said too many carbs period. Example: If I eat a ton of salad and vegetables during my feed and slight my protein and fat, I have hunger pangs beginning around 1 p.m.

Of course, today I had pangs around 11 a.m. because I ate all day yesterday. So, it's a little like starting the IF thing all over again.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Dave Van Skike

Truth...

The hard part of IF is the I part.

For me, maintaining a consitent window of 3-4 hours keeps it the fasting part pretty easy to maintain, regardless of whether I eat like crap or completely clean during the window. if I take a day or two off and eat 3 squares a day or whatever, the transition back is very hard.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

I'd recommend starting with eating clean all day first....getting the crap out and then tackling the IF portion, esp if you want weight loss. Obviously Paleo style eating works wonders....forget the zone in my opinion if your main goal is IF eventually...get at least 0.8g-1g/ean lb body weight of protein...you probably don't need over 100-80g of carbs/day...but some go as low as 30-40g and do fine....up your healthy fats for energy but not too much as you still want a calorie defecit.....stay active/burn calories/exercise....eat the basics veggies, meat, healthy fats, nuts and some fruits....at least if you are eating healthy and screw up the IF with hunger cravings, you will already have a basis of eating the right foods and won't be tempted to eat a whole pizza and feel like crap for the next day...trust me...I know that all too well....give yourself a cheat meal once a week to eat things you enjoy and so not to feel deprived and go insane, but earn that meal with good eating all week......not rocket science...just consistency day in and out will get you the results you are looking for.