Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default Sport related fundraising?

My wife and I are trying to figure out how to raise the money for her surgery and all the related costs and we came up with the idea of having some type of fitness event related fundraiser. Anyone have experience with setting up a fundraiser event? I'd also like to use the event to raise awareness for her conditions since it seems that most doctors, neurologists and nuerosurgeons we have encountered know very little about it.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Not sure about a fitness event....but alas...sigh....all those 5k and 10ks always bring a ton of people out...and all you need to do is provide a road. You could always do some sort of educational seminar on health and fitness too and charge.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Thanks Mike I figured that an running event would be ok since that's all people think about when it comes to fundraising is marathons and walk-a-thons.

Anyone else helped set one up before or arranged it?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Rick Deckart
Banned

Sad to hear that you have to figure out a way to raise the money for surgery...

I once participated in a fund raising run, the format was as follows:

Every participant collected a number of sponsors who would guarantee in written to pay a certain amount, ranging from pennies to several Marks, per kilometer the participant would run.

For example if I would guarantee 5 Dollar per Kilometer and my sponsored runner would cover 10 Km I would have to pay 50 Dollars.

That was a highly successful event. The top runner did 53km back then (he could not finish the last round...) and got something like 3000 DM together, as he had over two dozens sponsors. Several state ranked marathon runners used the opportunity for a test run, which also had the nice side effect to give the run a sort of 'competitive feeling'. I know of several participants (me included) who did longer runs than originally planned...

There was the course (5km) some water-stations, and a time limit, I think the course was open for 8 hours. If somebody wanted to split his run (AM/PM) this was also no problem, for every round they got a
mark and in the end some written paper with the km they did. Participants would then contact the sponsors etc.

Not sure if this helps...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
Sad to hear that you have to figure out a way to raise the money for surgery...
I get "good" health insurance through my job in the United States compared to many other plans and it's still a lot after the insurance pays their portion. 30% of a lot is still...a lot. On top of the surgical costs there were all the tests to get her to surgery, then all the medicine.

The U.S. health care system is so broken, but no one knows how to fix it. When I was younger I read some article that stated "In the U.S. a middle class family is only one major medical crisis away from bankruptcy" and I was thought to myself "that's a load of crap!!" I know better now though!

Thanks for the suggestion Peter.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
John Seiler

Hi Allen,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers.

A friend from high school's sister has cancer. They set up a site on http://caringbridge.org/ . Essentially, you set up a site for your wife and it allows you to update everyone on how things are going. There are also places to volunteer and donate. If you have time you might be able to set up a charity for donations. When people go to your site, they register. When you update the site, it sends everyone emails to let them know.

Allysa's site and her volunteers did a fabulous job of mobilizing everyone for the run they did in conjunction with a local 1/2 marathon. People really came out of the woodwork. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners of the individual CaringBridge sites have a forum. I'm sure there would be a lot of ideas on fundraisers in that community. If there isn't a forum, maybe individual sites will give you some ideas.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Robb Wolf

I think upwards of 60% of bankruptcies in the US are medical bill related. If you ever see a veterinary medicine bill THAT is the real costs of medical care. 10-20x less than human care. Reason? HMO's/insurance IMO. If we could just en-mass cut ourselves out of that whole mess and do cash-n-carry medicine we would all be a better off.

Allen-
if there is some way we can help, let us know. There are several Cf affiliates that lurk around here. We might be able to coordinate something and if each group could get something going...additively it might be a big deal.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
I think upwards of 60% of bankruptcies in the US are medical bill related. If you ever see a veterinary medicine bill THAT is the real costs of medical care. 10-20x less than human care. Reason? HMO's/insurance IMO. If we could just en-mass cut ourselves out of that whole mess and do cash-n-carry medicine we would all be a better.
Good point Robb. My bro-in law is a vet and my sister is a peditrician. She told me if she had it to do all over again she would be a vet. The insurance she pays is staggering and she practices in TN. I have decent health insurance through work but I pay through the nose almost $900 per month for the family so I agree our system is jacked up. I joke about it but I call my bro-in law my primary care practioner, in fact I really go to see him for a lot of stuff.

Allen keep me posted on what is going on. I have my flight into BWI for Sunday evening.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Yael Grauer

I've never done sports-related fundraising, but I've helped organize a lot of events that were fundraisers. The ones that had a bigger turnout had media attention--so if you have any connections that would be good. Most papers will list just about anything in the "calendar" section if you send in good press releases ahead of time. They may even do an article, depending on how busy things are. You may be able to find local organizations (chiropractors, trainers, etc.) to be sponsors. Ask them to place ads in your program or if they can donate prizes or anything else you need. Any sponsoring organization can provide free advertising and put promotional material in their office, etc. Especially if they are going to be speaking, they'll want their clients to know. About a month or two before the event, see if your local government channel can put up a public service announcement. And don't pay for anything--get free photocopies, free food on the day of the event, everything... It's out there. You should also be recruiting as many volunteers as you can so it won't take over your life.

If you don't have a 501(C)3 that makes it harder, but sometimes an organization will let you use their number if you give them a small cut of the tax-deductible donations.

There may also be grants out there for this type of thing; let me know if you want details on that.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
If you ever see a veterinary medicine bill THAT is the real costs of medical care. 10-20x less than human care. Reason? HMO's/insurance IMO.
I always thought it was because dogs and cats were less complicated to fix up than humans...hmmm...