Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Jeff Bearden

Default Backwards IF

Okay, the thought just hit me in reading all the IF posts. Typically IF'ers skip breakfast, lunch, workout afternoon and eat supper as a PWO meal. At least that's what I gather. I'm in the military and typically workout in the morning REAL early. So, what if breakfast is the PWO meal, eat lunch and skip supper? That would still give me a considerable fasting period, then working out in a fasted state the next morning, and might solve my hunger problems because it's right after PT in the mornings that I get really hungry.

How does that sound? Any thoughts?
Jeff Bearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

As far as I have gathered there is no reason why people eat at night other than convenience due to scheduling since that is when most people are home by. As long as you keep some sort of fasting period between feeding periods the time you feed is less important.

I actually still eat breakfast, lunch and dinner as I'm on a 15 hour fast schedule with a 9 hour eating window. So typically I start eating 9-10 am and stop by 6-7pm that way I eat dinner with my family.

I like the 15 and 9 type myself though I've stretched it as far as 19 and 5. You can take a look at my IF log for my results.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

BTW when I first saw "Backwards IF" I thought you were going to have a post on how you want to eat 15 hours and fast 9, heh.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

I've tried this. Be warned that it can be hard to get to sleep if you are hungry.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
William Hunter

I agree with Chris. It's certainly worth a try, as it might work out great for you, but I don't deal well trying to sleep on an empty stomach. A full belly lulls me to sleep. I really like working out near the end of my fast, knowing big food is coming, and my body will know what to do with it. I've done many AM workouts, but generally I'm an afternoon guy.
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Leo Soubbotine

ZMA or some Vitamin C and Melatonin make me sleep like a child with a very very empty stomach.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

I've done backwards IF before....that is staying awake for 18 hours and eating and drinking nonstop....then pass out for 5 hours and wake up and start again....
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Robb Wolf

MOD-
That is a more popular version...book in process.

Jeff-
I've worked it the way you describe with the only problem being difficulty falling asleep.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Edward Friedman

Jeff,

I think my reply is really unsatisfying. IMHO, you would need to try it out and see how you feel and how it works out for you. I think that within some loosely defined IF framework, a lot of detail is heavily individual.

In the Fast-5 version of IF ( "IF 19/5" ) I think Dr. Herring makes the eating window 5-10 p.m. for 2 reasons:

1) More social eating takes place during those hours;
2) Sleep blunts waking hunger. In other words, if most people ate early, the hunger in the remaining hours of waking day is too annoying.

I think "playing" with "window-timing" is a very cool part of this self-discovery process, ( ie; How one interacts with eating/fasting.)

"Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." (Ralph Waldo Emerson) Part of what I enjoy about IF is really customizing and knowing "what works great for me". Have fun finding what works best for you. Please report your results.

All the best,

Eddie
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Jeff Bearden

Thanks for all the input guys. I can imagine that falling asleep hungry would be difficult. So, I guess what I'm concerned about is the fact that I have to train in the AM from 0530 hrs to 0630 hrs because of the whole Army thing and if I IF during the day would it be too long to wait until 5 pm or later to break fast? Or, should I have lunch and supper and cut off evening feeding earlier than 10 pm?
Jeff Bearden is offline   Reply With Quote