Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Special Populations

Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
John Seiler

Default Fitness Standards over 70 y.o.a.

Does anyone know of any fitness standards or comparative fitness levels for adults in their seventies and eighties? All the info I've seen ends in the sixties.

Thanks!
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Staying alive....

Seriously in this day and age, if anyone is even active in their 70s and 80s they are well more advanced then the general public....
Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
John Seiler

I hear what you're saying Mike. Of course, try telling that to us when we're in our seventies.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Robb Wolf

Tough to tell. I have a former eye surgeon who is 78 and has progressed to 3 pull-ups, good DL form w/115lbsx10 and an assortment of other accomplishments.

He has always eaten kinda low carb and gravitated to the paleo stuff easily.

I have folks in their 50's who are far off his fitness...it's just a crap shoot.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Ken Urakawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Tough to tell. I have a former eye surgeon who is 78 and has progressed to 3 pull-ups, good DL form w/115lbsx10 and an assortment of other accomplishments.

He has always eaten kinda low carb and gravitated to the paleo stuff easily.

I have folks in their 50's who are far off his fitness...it's just a crap shoot.
I'll second that. I've got a lady that just turned 70 in May (5'2", ~120). We've been working for the last 4 or 5 years to stave off a hip replacement that her doctor told her was iminent. She has problems with extreme ranges of motion, but we've almost got her doing an unassisted pullup, DLs BW+20 lb pretty easily (*if we start her 2" off the floor), and generally shows up some of my 50-ish clients.

She's been pretty active her whole life: horses and dogs, hunting, etc., and very into cooking. Kind of takes the French approach--all things in moderation. I generally pray I'm doing as well at 70.
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
John Seiler

Thanks guys. Mostly this is for a client at my gym. She's about 75 and fairly competitive/analytical. Hence, she'd really like to know where she stands amongst her peers. I pointed out, as have all of you, that she's head and shoulders above most folk her age. But, dammit, she wants some hard numbers. Flipping Germans.

Herr Seiler
Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

I had a 65 yr old client who was losing fat, lifting 80lb deadlifts and worked her ass off....and then each week she would come in telling about people she knew that were dying...and every week it was a new person....I kept telling her she was like better off than 95% of people her age...but she saw it first hand as everyone else's health declined....and she got better....sad considering in another 10 years I am sure all the average standards will be much lower.

PS. She wasn't German so I didn't need to nationally rank her...although I would say something like "You are in the 5th percentile of the upper 10% of average population by demographics as scaled by age relation to national heritage and shoe size..".....when in doubt if I don't have an answer...I just confuse the hell out of them and say it with 100% confidence....they walk away knowing never to ask that question again.....
Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
John Seiler

""You are in the 5th percentile of the upper 10% of average population by demographics as scaled by age relation to national heritage and shoe size..".....when in doubt if I don't have an answer...I just confuse the hell out of them and say it with 100% confidence"

LOL! Kinda reminds me of Oswald Bates...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=134dMhKf794
Old 08-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Staying alive....

Indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JT_SNF.jpg (12.4 KB, 11 views)
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
mike kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
...Mostly this is for a client at my gym. She's about 75...
Herr Seiler
john (HERR john) -- when working with "high mileage" clients do you make many adjustments/adaptations for workout speed, tempo, range of motion, explosive movements, overall intensity, etc -- or is it more a teutonic "march or die" ?? :-)

love reading that you, robb and ken are working with folks in their seventies - but am curious how you modify and scale the workouts so that they are able to survive

most septuagenarians that i know are lucky to just be able to get up out of their rockers, let alone be pulling body weight + and doing pullups

congrats on them and their coaches!

Last edited by mike kane : 09-10-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling police
mike kane is offline   Reply With Quote