Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Performance enhancing supplements are NOT going away....ever....as chemists will be one step ahead of the testing people....hell coffee is performance enhancing...so ban all caffeine products? Beer is performance enhancing in my golf and pool games....as I suck without it. So why not admit defeat, let everyone juice up and become giant bobble head looking players and hit HRs all over the place and have baseball scores like 34-54. So they all die at age 39...at least the general public is being entertained and distracted from anything else important.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
Scott Kustes

I have that little faith in professional athletes. The pursuit of money is too alluring and as MOD said, chemists are always one step ahead. Steroid testing is a reactive field...it can only test for something once it has been discovered that someone is using something new. Keeping them illegal artificially raises the prices so that only the highest paid athletes can afford them, thus creating a bigger gap between the juicers and non-juicers. The Bonds of the sports world are able to hire the best doctors and trainers and get the best "supplements," while the non-Bonds are left with GNC.

To paraphrase Charlie Francis said regarding Track and Field: "No one that is winning at this level is clean." Track and field, bicycling, baseball, football, MMA....I bet if the sports authorities drug tested every sport, they'd find rampant steroid use. Sad, but true.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Rick Deckart
Banned

No offense but some hear have interesting opinions. Make it legal? Yeah. These are grown up men who agreed not to use illegal performance enhancing substances---and do it anyway. I have absolutely no respect for such behaviour, no matter how desperate these athletes are. KNOW THYSELF, if you can't do it clean either don't do it at all or have at least the dignity to loose clean. What a bunch of loosers...

All this doping this doping that, and especially the tour the farce reminds me of an amusing story. In 1976 a certain sport student named Heiner Thade contacted the german swimming federation. He offered them a totally legal performance enhancing method and got 250000 DM on the table without even stating what it was. Turned out it was air, pumped via a clyster into the bowel... Results in training were fabulous, but how to pump that air into the *** during a meet? Apparently you could not do it under the shower, so they did it in the hotel and took a taxi to the meet. Needless to say this delay produced a bunch of farting athletes who felt misserably and swam far worse than expected. That was the death of pump-the-bowel-with-air doping...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Rick Deckart
Banned

No offense but some hear have interesting opinions. Make it legal? Yeah. These are grown up men who agreed not to use illegal performance enhancing substances---and do it anyway. I have absolutely no respect for such behaviour, no matter how desperate these athletes are. KNOW THYSELF, if you can't do it clean either don't do it at all or have at least the dignity to loose clean. What a bunch of loosers...

All this doping this doping that, and especially the tour the farce reminds me of an amusing story. In 1976 a certain sport student named Heiner Thade contacted the german swimming federation. He offered them a totally legal performance enhancing method and got 250000 DM on the table without even stating what it was. Turned out it was air, pumped via a clyster into the bowel... Results in training were fabulous, but how to pump that air into the *** during a meet? Apparently you could not do it under the shower, so they did it in the hotel and took a taxi to the meet. Needless to say this delay produced a bunch of farting athletes who felt misserably and swam far worse than expected. That was the death of pump-the-bowel-with-air doping...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
John Vernon

Default warning: hijack!!

Barry was a great baseball player. Steroids allowed him to prolong his career well past his prime so that he can now break Hank Aaron's record. Like Peter said, if you don't got it, you don't got it...live with it and move on.

One word for Barry's fake break...ASTERISK!! I know all the Kool-Aid drinking Giant's fans will disagree. Barry's a cheat.

Keep it pure.
John Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #16
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post

Ahh Peter, you mistake ideology with reality. Ideally, they'd all play clean. Realistically, it ain't gonna happen, so you might as well allow a level playing field. Or how about two sports leagues...one with drug users, no testing and one with non-drug users, full-scale testing. I bet you'd quickly learn 3 things: the fans prefer the more exciting drug-fueled game (although they shake their heads and claim not to, their actions speak otherwise), the money for the drug-fueled game would skyrocket, and a majority of the players would gladly put their health on the line for a few more dollars.

Besides, it's a victimless crime....or rather the only victim is s/he who takes the drugs. Frankly, I could give a rodent's rectum because I don't watch professional sports and don't care about the players. What they do to their bodies affects neither me nor my interest in their games.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #17
John Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Or how about two sports leagues...one with drug users, no testing and one with non-drug users, full-scale testing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCGYtFAQ2U
John Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
Billy_Brummel

My take is that Bonds was already one of the greats before he juiced. He may have come within spitting distance of Aaron had he never juiced. His swing is what would have got him there. I'm tired of hearing that baseball has become "a joke" b/c of the roids. No one ever makes mention of the fact that in order for roids to jack up your numbers in any kind of significant way, you already need to be at an elite technique level. Some random hack in Double A will not be jumping to the major leagues and hitting 70 jacks a year simply b/c he does a couple cycles of the juice. Making roids legal would have a very slight impact on the game- the best of the best would see some serious power increases, and the Disabled List would be full on any given week. And there would be a shortage of baseball hat material due to the ridiculous increases in hat sizes. So perhaps the hat companies should get behind BALCO.

Oh yeah, if roids were legal pitchers would be enabled to throw harder without fear of sufficient recovery, so the effects for the hitters would be further negated. And there would be a great deal of depression.

This occured to me though: I would have a problem with legal roids if the rate of incidents similar to that of Chris Benoit were higher.

Also, do not let this post come across as some kind of Bonds support. Never have liked the guy, just based on pure personality.

Last edited by Billy_Brummel : 07-28-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: addition
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote