Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Robb Wolf

Shannon-
It's tough to tell...we have seen people all over the place on this. No doubt there is an adaptation period, some seem to fare better than others at very low carb levels even with high intensity activity.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Shannon Clark

Yah, it would make sense for individual variances.

Another thing I was wondering on, so it takes being below 100 grams of carbs to go into ketosis correct?

Now, lets say you eat 120 grams of carbs, but are burning off 40 gram through cardio, would that still enable you to enter ketosis since you are only 'netting' 80 then?

And also, lets say you are eating 80 grams of carbs per day, but your protein intake is higher than 1 gram/lb so some is being converted via gluconeogensis (for examples sake, lets say 50 grams of protein are being converted).

So would that then net you at 130 total carbs and bring out of fat adaptation and ketosis?
Shannon Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Bo Bolund

I try to eat at least 100 gram of carbs... too low carb count will induce ketosis and increase cortisol levels.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Robb Wolf

Shannon-
It's not a clear cut thing with ketosis. Some of the research into intermittent fasting indicates ketosis can be maintained even during high (60% of carbs) intake. I'd actually say that the main determinants are 1-insulin sensitivity and 2-hepatic glycogen status.

so maintain insulin sensitivity, and minimize fructose consumption. If you REALLY want to evaluate whether you are in ketosis buy some keto strips and monitor pre/post WO ketone levels at various carb intake levels.

Honestly I'd wait for fall and winter to mess with the ketosis thing...that is more the time of year for that anyway.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Shannon Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Shannon-
It's not a clear cut thing with ketosis. Some of the research into intermittent fasting indicates ketosis can be maintained even during high (60% of carbs) intake. I'd actually say that the main determinants are 1-insulin sensitivity and 2-hepatic glycogen status.

so maintain insulin sensitivity, and minimize fructose consumption. If you REALLY want to evaluate whether you are in ketosis buy some keto strips and monitor pre/post WO ketone levels at various carb intake levels.

Honestly I'd wait for fall and winter to mess with the ketosis thing...that is more the time of year for that anyway.
Thanks for the ongoing help. I think I might look into the keto strips, just out of curiosity it would be interesting. The only reason I would go so low carb to get to ketosis I think is if it had some type of strong hunger supressing benefits.

It's interesting, these last few days I've been playing around, eating more fat calories during the day while reducing carbs slightly (though still not below 100 grams) and I notice when eating the small amount of fats outside my two big meals, I'm okay at first after eating them, but then I do feel hungry about an hour or two later. Then I eat more and the cycle repeats itself (these are small servings...50-75 cals). The hunger is a fairly sharp kind of hunger and something I feel like I do want to satisfy.

When I was going without the eating, I'd reach a point where I definitely felt strong hunger but if I pushed through then normally it would die down in an hour or so or else would become a much more dull sort of hunger that was more tolerable.

Just kind of interesting to see how the body responds to different things. I would like to see though if in ketosis what it would be like.
Shannon Clark is offline   Reply With Quote