Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Neal Winkler

Default Why curls are good functional exercise

It's high time I end all this baloney about curls being a silly exercise only for the vain.

So here it is:

Curls are an awesome functional exercise because often times when carrying something you can't always let your arms hang, sometimes you have hold an object in an isometric curl position - elbows at sides and all. For example, if you want to be really cool and carry your wifey or hubby over the threshold, they'll probably appreciate it if you don't carry them by gripping their clothes and letting them hang as you walk and bounce them off your legs.

Now go load that squat rack up and do some curls!

And remember, you heard it from me first...
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

You could always clean and jerk your wife when carrying her over the threshold. Oh wait....I didn't mean that to sound that way. Perhaps a snatch would be better. Oops!

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

A lot of the bicep injuries could be prevented by regular strengthening (full ROM) of the elbow flexors.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Robb Wolf

I think a good 80/20 rule applies here. Spend the bulk of your time on compound movements...use a few isolation elements to bring up specific elements such as triceps extensions and curls.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Curls = ability to contract biceps to lift full mug off bar and to mouth....repeat 100 or so times....functional, case closed.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
sometimes you have hold an object in an isometric curl position - elbows at sides and all.
so wouldn't the functional exercise be isometrics in said position?

if you want to do curls, just do some curls. no need to get anyone's approval.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Neal Winkler

Greg, to answer your first question, you can certainly do that, but there's nothing wrong with doing the ful ROM either. Duh.

As to your second comment, you are correct. However, I work out in my basement, whereas as some poor chap reading the PM might not. He might be working out a gym, and one day decide to do a perfectly functional curl (iso or ful ROM) and unwittingly get beratted by some wayward young Crossfitter with an attitiude and a nasty distain for all things isolation. What then? What recourse will this poor fellow have? To stand there drooping his head with his tail between his legs??? NO! Because now I have given him the ammunition he needs to defend this perfectly good and functional exercise.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Greg, to answer your first question, you can certainly do that, but there's nothing wrong with doing the ful ROM either. Duh.

As to your second comment, you are correct. However, I work out in my basement, whereas as some poor chap reading the PM might not. He might be working out a gym, and one day decide to do a perfectly functional curl (iso or ful ROM) and unwittingly get beratted by some wayward young Crossfitter with an attitiude and a nasty distain for all things isolation. What then? What recourse will this poor fellow have? To stand there drooping his head with his tail between his legs??? NO! Because now I have given him the ammunition he needs to defend this perfectly good and functional exercise.
Well...that puts it all in perspective.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:

Neal, that is seriously hilarious.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
David Aguasca

Default ...slowly turning into a fiddler crab...

um...i do over 100 right arm curls/ front raises with a nailgun or screwgun every day.

yes, my right shoulder and bicep are bigger than my left ones.

no, you can't make a joke about why my right arm is bigger.
David Aguasca is offline   Reply With Quote