Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default Yael's 2015 log

light jogging, mobility work, etc.

1-2-3-4-5-6 pullups/stepups per side (actually used the TRX for most of the pull-ups b/c the band was so high on the bar I could barely reach it)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7 kettlebell press from half-kneeling position w/ one foot forward and opposite knee on ground 8kg (per side)
split stance kettlebell deadlift (per side). (I think I was using 12kg but can't remember)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 double kb squat (was using two 8kgs) and cross-body row (per side)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7 lunges (per side) and push-ups (switched to TRX at the end for ROM and b/c of an old injury)

foam rolling and stretching

breakfast: maple sausages
lunch: salad with mixed greens, turkey, red and green peppers, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, etc. (okay, it had garbanzo beans)
dinner: stir-fry with beef, snowpeas, portabella mushrooms, sesame seeds

oh and I had a Perfect Foods bar post-workout
Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

Well, I'm a little pissed that I typed out my workouts on Tues/Thurs also but they didn't upload for some reason.

Basically I decided to buy a 30-day Groupon at a "real" gym which I started last week because I've been pretty unmotivated and thought it'd be fun. I also didn't like the BJJ gym I visited for a few reasons, and kind of wanted to do something different before learning BJJ politics in a new city. So this gym is good so far except that they are obsessed with not putting your knees over your toes and keep telling me I squat too deep and need to push my butt back more, so that my knees don't go over my toes, and I'm not below parallel. I of course think this is stupid but I'm not the coach, so. Anyway. The Monday workout is the same every Monday for a month, apparently, and here's what I did:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7 double kb squat (was using two 8kgs) and cross-body row (per side) with I think 16k but it may have been 12kg.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 kettlebell press from half-kneeling position w/ one foot forward and opposite knee on ground 8kg (per side)
split stance kettlebell deadlift (per side). (was either 12 or 16 kg, I can't figure out their colors)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 lunges (per side) and push-ups (switched to TRX at the end for ROM and b/c of an old injury)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7 pullups/stepups per side (actually used the TRX for most of the pull-ups b/c the band was so high on the bar I could barely reach it)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

Kettlebell strength day...

We did 3 11-minute rounds... It's just weird to me because they're AMRAP, but it's strength, so I never know how heavy I should try to go. I mean I want to go heavy and am specifically focusing on strength this month, but I also don't want to just sit around during an AMRAP session, so I usually go light enough that it's not too hard to do multiple rounds in 11 minutes... Who knows.

Anyway. This looks like they were alternating strength with core or mobility and then conditioning

Round 1: 11 minutes AMRAP of
8 reps goblet squat followed by single-arm kettlebell press (8 per side)
8 scap retractions (some people did on the pull-up bars but I just used a band while kneeling)
50 jumps or 20 on the heavy jump rope

Round 2: 11 minutes AMRAP of
8 one-armed kettlebell cleans (per side)
8 dragon flags
20 kettlebell swings

Round 3: 11 minutes AMRAP of
8 double kb sumo deadlifts + burpee (without the pushup)
15 seconds L-sit
8 1-arm kb rows (per side)
200m row (or a mini-lap but I picked the row)

food: leftover chicken with cauliflower "rice", apple and cashew butter, then went to Chipotle for dinner-salad without dressing... steak, lettuce, tomato, grilled veggies (peppers and onion or whatever), salsa and guacamole. also some almonds.

yesterday I had a big ass salad and an orange, cabbage/meatball stew, and chicken/cauli. also an apple with cashew butter.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Okay, so today was power and stability, so we alternated between power and stability exercises...

Round 1:

4 sets each of:
- battle ropes, just focusing on power
-1-legged squats to the tire (alternating legs each set)
- lateral jumps with a band around our waists, fun
- plank position + putting our arms out (alternating) while keeping our backs straight

Round 2:

4 sets each of:

- battle ropes going way up and down (sort of like a jumping jack)
- attempted donkey kicks
- mountain climbers with the bands around our waists
- this weird thing where you put the band around one leg and the opposite shoulder and do a one-legged squat (alternating legs each set)

Round 3:

4 sets each of:

-battle ropes sideways
- mountain climbers for stability--trying to keep our backs straight while walking forward
- broad jumps with the band around our waists
- this weird Swiss ball thing where you hold a band out and rotate across the ball to your sides--hard to explain

Pretty decent workout but I like the other coach better. This one is good, too, but sometimes when he's correcting form basically he just talks and you can't get the exercise done. It is hard to coach a movement when you only have 45 seconds. Luckily, he separated us into two groups and paid a lot more attention to the "star athlete" group. I just felt bad for the guy on my team because he was really struggling.

Food:
I had a humongous salad around noon-ish (but yes it had garbanzo beans)
Then for dinner, ribs cooked with onions and apples, mmm
I also had a banana and some almonds.

I'm trying to avoid sugar for a bit and so it was annoying at the gym when my coach kept trying to sell me bars (because they have fiber to balance out their sugar, and honey instead of real sugar, he said). I just need to take breaks from added sugar sometimes because it makes my mood more stables.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

strength day, which is my favorite. also we had a really good group today and on my team were this badass mom and her sister and two kids who were probably in middle school or early high school. they weren't star athletes but had such good energy and were so excited to be there. so it's nice to see that kind of energy because honestly a lot of the super fit people are kind of obnoxious. oh yeah and I liked the coach today better than the one yesterday so am gonna try to only go to his classes--he doesn't get super caught up in detail and is just a lot of fun.

anyway, here's the workout:

1. 8 minutes of:
-band pullups or TRX (4-6)
-kettlebell box squats (4-6) was doing two 12kg
(repeat)

2. 8 minutes of:
-kettlebell deadlifts (4-6) worked up to 32kg
-kb presses (4-6) even 12kg felt too heavy (if we can't do four or can do more than six we'd switch weights) so did mostly 8kg
(repeat)

3. 8 minutes of:
-straight arm kettlebell pullover (4-6) I used a silver, can't remember the weight
-curls (from our knees for some reason) (4-6) 12 lb. DBs
-one-legged squats on the box (4-6) 2 X 12kg --again they're obsessed with us just moving our butts back and not using our legs

4. 8 minutes of:
-10 med ball slams (well, more like drops + then deadlift them up, alternating sides, they were like 25 lbs.
-I don't know what they're called but they're like kettlebell farmer's walks except you hold the bells up in a clean position. so we did that 2X down the mats (2 X 8 kg.)
-sled pull... i forget the #s, but there were a lot of us so we had to do more of the first two exercises

food:

I didn't have time to eat breakfast but was meeting friends for lunch at 11, and I got the healthiest thing on the menu which was a steak salad which had mixed greens, grilled marinated shaved rib eye, tomatoes, eggs, avocado, bacon, blue cheese and some kind of dressing which was supposed to be vinaigrette but wasn't. aside from the dressing it also had "crispy onions," which I thought were just gonna be cooked onions thrown in but were actually deep fried, so that was annoying.

for dinner I made these: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/29385249...okes-and-pearl (except used butter instead of avocado oil).

will probably have an orange or some almonds tonight, too.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Okay, I went to the Pro Bowl on Sunday and had lunch with a friend and had to stay up until 3:30AM to meet my deadlines, so missed the gym on Monday. So I did today's, which was core & conditioning. It just alternates between the two.

30 seconds on and 12 seconds transition, 4 sets through each of these:

band chops, up to down
two steps fwd/two back
med ball situps & partner throw
high knees

-break-

band chops, down to up
some kind of weird hip extension jump
mountain climbers while balancing on the med ball (not easy)
infinity runs (I think they called them 8's but it's totally an infinity symbol)

-break-

band chops--lateral hold
broad jump (sideways)
med ball throw (from the hip)
bunny hops (feet together)

food today:
leftover shredded pork
post-workout perfect foods bar (I finally caved)
Paleo chili w/ avocado
Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

I really didn't feel like driving to the gym today, so I put on bad 80s music on Songza and did the kettlebell workout at home. Only problem is we only have a 25-lb. and a 35-lb., so I was doing 25, 35,or 60 for each exercise:

11 minutes AMRAP of
8 reps goblet squat followed by single-arm kettlebell press (8 per side)
8 scap retractions (I didn't have a band or bar set up so just did this without one)
50 jumps (didn't have my jump rope so I just used a pretend rope)

Round 2: 11 minutes AMRAP of
8 one-armed kettlebell cleans (per side)
8 dragon flags
20 kettlebell swings

Round 3: 11 minutes AMRAP of
8 double kb sumo deadlifts + burpee (without the pushup)
15 seconds L-sit (I couldn't really do this one)
8 1-arm kb rows (per side)
200m row (I just skipped this)

meal 1: leftover Paleo chili and avocado
meal 2: a hard-boiled egg, a few grapes, and apples and dried cranberries, roasted almonds, cheddar cheese/brie/gouda. and a few crackers
meal 3: rotisserie chicken, sweet potatoes and kale
Old 01-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #8
Yael Grauer

I barely slept last night because I had to take the GREs today and was a bit stressed out about it. (This was my pre-GRE all-night dance tune soundtrack. http://songza.com/discover/activities/sleeping/)

So I just had leftover chicken, took this prolonged test, and then went to some Super Bowl event where we got to eat bacon-covered scallop and fried lobster on a stick and assorted breads and cheeses, and some wine.They also gave us chocolate seals. Then had one of those EVOL frozen meals b/c of course I was still hungry.

No workout, just lots of walking. And am traveling for the next couple of days so who knows what I'll get to do. :P