Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #141
Kevin Perry

11/8

Warm-up: Power Snatches and Snatch Balances w/ empty bar

Pressing SN Balance: 60# x 3 x 5

Squat: 240# x 5 x 3

Bench: 155# x 5 x 3

Power Clean: 110# x 3 x 5

Weighted Ring Dips: 35# x 8 x 3

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 x 12

Squats were heavy today but everything else was good. Bench felt real strong and I can see continued progress there along with the power clean. My form on the clean has also really improved although there are still some issues with racking the bar and getting the shrug down.

The pressing Snatch balance felt ok, despite how much time I spend with these I still make poor progress. I've pretty much decided that as each lift beings to stall im simply going to work on something else or change up the reps/sets and make the workouts more enjoyable for me. That probably how im going to work the deadlift soon, replace it with SLDL's and work the reverse hypers and GHR.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #142
Kevin Perry

Hmm so reflecting on a few things and trying to figure out a plan to follow after this strength phase is over. Unfortunately despite taking the time in my busy schedule to go out to the school and get some lifting in, I just have too much going on currently and it is eating into my scheduling.. school, work, some family issues, and getting a business plan together and prepping for personal training, other areas im trying to focus on as well. Plus there is my waiver that is currently pending for reenlistment...

I have a good coach and a kind one for allowing me to train at the high school but it is becoming more and more discouraging being the only lifter and several times in a row now not receiving any direct coaching as coach has a habit of leaving as soon as I arrive. The majority of my training is more or less self taught and Im wondering if I would be better off served by saving for one of Greg's seminars or Rippetoe's seminars. The cost of gas with the commute to make it out there 3 times a week coupled with the commute I already make to school which is an hour drive 4 days a week is draining my wallet.

Actually a number of things are draining my wallet especially the cost of food to support gaining another 10 - 15 lbs and im thinking this may not be the time for that anymore. Not having a training partner is extremely discouraging as well.

I think i'll continue with this strength phase especially since there are still gains to be made but after this I may just venture back to the CF side of the house and start messing around with everything again, little bit of this and that so I can put more focus on other areas of life and try and focus on more personal happiness rather than obsessing over having to be a specific weight or getting angry over slow gains in weightlifting etc.

Hmm from all I know that may be key to jump starting weak areas and getting things in focus again.

Very long read I know. This is more of a blog post...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #143
Allen Yeh

+1 for Greg's Seminars.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #144
Kevin Perry

8/11

Well today was not a good lifting day. Of course the day started off bad to begin with.

Squat: 225 x 5 x 3

Press: 110 x 5 x 3

Deadlift: 225 x 5 x 1

That's all I had in me today. I got very little sleep and I've had a number of things bothering me today at work and in class and it really got in the way of my thinking.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #145
Kevin Perry

It's amazing how much stress and emotions can affect performance. I was maintaining 153 - 155 for a few weeks now and I have been getting 3500 - 4000 calories daily for the past several days. Yesterday morning I stood at 154lbs but today I stood at 151lbs and I have been stressed beyond what I normally feel not to mention how terribly my workout went and how much 225 felt like 250. Not to mention some things really bothering me and it was really getting in the way of my concentration during the workout.

Today I have not gotton much at all to eat so I need to make up for it tomorrow and get back on track. I think the next 7 weeks are going to be hard to put on 10 lbs.

I think i'll end the day with some Call of Duty 5...
Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #146
Kevin Perry

On top of everything I said yesterday I woke up this morning sick and with a very soar throat. bah.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #147
Kevin Perry

Starting to feel much better, I think I caught the cold before it could really get into my system. Should be back to lifting very soon. Have been sitting at 150 so i'll be back to gaining again shortly.

In the mean time i've been doing some more thinking and have decided to structure my diet and training around performance goals. This mindset will make it much easier to focus on. Also, I want to focus entirely on personal happiness as this will get rid of much of the stress I have been dealing with lately outside of lifting and I can focus on what matters most to me.

Im going to work on putting on 5 - 10 more pounds and build up strength for another 6 - 8 weeks and then move on to something else probably metcon with some weightlifting. Thats how it will be so I can concentrate on other areas. I think that will be a good plan that will allow variety. Of course weightlifting will take more of a priority and maybe eventually I can make it to a meet but I won't worry about that right now.

Ok End/Rant thing. I think I feel a little better organized now.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #148
Kevin Perry

woke up this morning feeling crappy again... got a small workout at school but was pretty exhuasted throughout the day. Apetite is just not there. Going to take another week off to really rest up.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #149
Kevin Perry

Well. Not training today. Just too pissed.

Went into class today. My partner had to train me, she had me do squats. I did low bar squats below parallel, went deep and with excellent form, excellent rebound and excellent use of hip extension. Was later picked apart by the teacher and humiliated in front of the entire class when he started speaking in a rather loud tone about how my form was terrible, how I was moving to fast, and how I should be pausing for more than 2 seconds at the bottom right at 90 degrees. He told me I should never go below parallel ever. He said all I will accomplish is destroying my knees and destroying my clients knees if I were to ever have them squat below parallel and began to say that 90% of people can't do squats the way I did. Next he told me I was using my hips to much when I should have been using my legs to squat... I tried to explain my reasoning and how I did not agree with his assessment he simply stated "your wrong. end of discussion."

Humiliated. Some students mocked the way I did the squats today others simply laughed at me. Another student was praised for his form... arms stretched out across the bar squating above parallel with no hip movement involved.

If there was ever a thing that could completely destroy my self esteem and confidence right now that was it.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #150
Matt Edwards

I've been right there with you dude. When they said I was going to "blow up" my knees, I simply asked them to show me the scientific evidence and stated "Exactly" as they would be caught speechless just saying "uhmmm."

I was fortunate to have a professor who used to powerlift and wanted to get into olympic lifting, also helped he was an anatomy/physiology professor who supported ATG squatting. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't let them get to you.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote