Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #171
Kevin Perry

12/9

Cooking! Yes I am trying to learn how to cook and have been reading cook books and nutrition books all day.

Last night I started putting together a strength program set up the way I would like to train for fun, sort of a mix of starting strength and some other movements but with 5x5's and shorter rests. I will play around with it until I find the right response from my body. It's really not gonna be much of a change, the pushing, pressing, and pulling movements are all there and in the same order I just want to do what I think I'll have fun with for a few weeks.

Nutrition wise I am going to try a 30/30/40 ratio for pro/carb/fat set up around 2000- 2500 k/cal based on my RMR calculations and lean body mass calculations. This kind of gives me some lee way to work with of +/- 500 calories and will allow me to really find what works and doesn't work and to start adding mass more slowly and controlled, ultimately I want to remain between 150 - 155, sitting between 145 - 150 right now.

Diet will be paleo, I just don't mess with zone. Some IF thrown in here and there.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #172
Kevin Perry

12/10

Front Squat:
145 x 5 x 5

Bench:
145 x 5 x 5

Deadlift:
225 x 5 x 3

225 felt like a warm-up set today it was so easy.

Editing this...

Finally figured out what I'm going to do. I was bored with SS but I need to continue it for a while longer (5 weeks at least) to get past the strength goals I want. Assuming everything goes well I should get the strength I want for CF by the end of the 5th week.

...doing some tweaking though to more of my liking... might be too much might not be, we'll see.

Dropping from 1 gallon of milk down to 1/2 gallon has made it easier for me to get more quality food in, lots of fruits and veggies, and lots of meat like steak, eggs, pork. I've been adding a couple scoops per day of whey into the milk and overall I'm getting 150 - 180 grams in per day... more than enough. My weight is finally catching back up as well.

I"m a small guy, don't need tons of calories and my stomach does not handle massive amounts of food very well so a gradual increase of calories seems to settle well.

This probably seems indecisive but it is hard trying to find something that works and does not bore the crap out of me or wear me down. But trying to control several stressors also plays a major role as this weekend has been full of it at work. I also need to finally find something to stick to and seeing as it's impossible to get coaching for the Oly lifts as my schedule does not allow it anymore, I'd rather go back to something I was pretty good at like crossfit especially if I want to open an affiliate somewhere in the future.

As for things such as weight and strength, I don't think my strength is that bad just needs to be worked on a little bit and as time goes by I will get stronger and better at the lifts. Besides, Im almost at a 2xBw squat, have already hit 2xBW Deadlift and almost a BW press so the strength is pretty good.

Weight: I put to much stress here. I'm starting to think that weight does not really matter much... to an extent. My body seems to enjoy sitting between 147 - 152 after putting on 30lbs. Not bad at all. Besides, I've noticed a lot of the top Crossfitters at my height seem to do their best at around 150lbs.

Anyways... the sooner I get my strength to where I want it the sooner I can get towards focusing on a variety of things such as training on rings, practicing the Olympic lifts more, and getting more involved with CF since that seems to be the direction I want to head towards in the future...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #173
Kevin Perry

12/12

Man I'm tired. I did not sleep well last night, tried getting 8-10 hours but I think I only got maybe 6 and I woke up a ton. I've been running around doing Christmas shopping for everyone and let me tell you it is not easy finding a cat wallet for an old person.

Went to the gym and I about knocked the damn squat rack over because it was ticking me off so much the way it was designed, impossible to unrack the bar without the hooks catching it and throwing off your balance. This was not a good workout for me.

Squat:

215 x 5 x 3

Press

110 x 5 x 3

Chins

25 x 5 x 5

I did not have it in me for OHS especially with so many people getting in my way and the mirror was making me dizzy... too much forward lean on the squats today too.. just could not get it right. Press felt just off today as well. Oh well, Monday will be better.

I know I have been stressed this week and I'm not sure what's causing it.. most likely sleep related as I went Wednesday night with maybe 3 hours of sleep if that. Going to put 1/2 gallon of milk back into the diet for extra calories till I feel better and work on getting better sleep. Not doing the whole gallon again though. Just trying to find that sweet spot.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #174
Kevin Perry

12/15

Squat: 220 x 5 x 3

Bench: 160 x 5 x 3

P. Clean: 125 x 3 x 5

Pullups: 25 x 5 x 3

hmm the Squats felt heavy today but not as bad as Friday, my form felt good although I don't think I got enough hip movement as I should have. Cleans pretty much wore me out but they always do, I suck at them but I'm getting better and that's what is important.

I slept better last night which is a plus. ZMA in the morning rather than the evening may have a slight impact on this. We'll see how wednesday's workout goes, will have to work on cranking up the caloric intake over the next few days. My body is feeling pretty good though so I know I'm getting somewhere at least.

On my off time I have been spending an ass load of time reading up on everything crossfit, performance, paleo, zone, plus the crap from school. I want to do my best as a trainer when I finally start training a real client next month. It is a little nerve wreaking because I don't want to fug this one up.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #175
Kevin Perry

12/17

Today was another bad lifting day. I did not feel like I had much energy during the warm up again and this time I could barely get the bar out of the rack for the squats. I only managed 1 rep... so something is wrong and the only thing I can link it to is recovery because sleep is pretty good and nutrition is pretty good. There have been warning signs, my workout was not good friday, wednesday I was out of energy again, and I could not lift 225 last monday.

I did notice warning signs over the past couple of weeks though, my strength has not been the same since I recovered from the cold and had my wisdoms removed which is still odd since It has not been that long since I squated my best.

Not sure what I should do right now. I may take additional days off and do lighter stuff like some body weight stuff but it's bugs the shit out of me how piss poorly im performing.

I need to figure this one out. I know I messed with the program a bit but that was always based on how I was feeling and knowing whether my body could do the workout or not, but then again I have been following this template off and on for more than a year now and Im probably at that point where I can't recover fast enough.

120 - 153 averaging 147 is a pretty friggin good gain.
The strength gains were excellent and im still squeezing some gains out on other lifts but the squat is obviously a no go right now, at least not with progressing every workout.

I'm really not interested in the texas method but I would like to at least get back to squating around 250 and maxing around 280 - 300. We'll see what I come up with.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #176
Allen Yeh

I vote for deload with simliar movements for a week but easier loads.

front squats
db bench
db deadlifts or deadlifts from a deficit like snatch grip
light pendlay rows
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #177
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I vote for deload with simliar movements for a week but easier loads.

front squats
db bench
db deadlifts or deadlifts from a deficit like snatch grip
light pendlay rows

I agree, a few days off then a deload throughout next week may do the trick.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #178
Kevin Perry

After evaluating everything I'm determining that I am in a state of under recovery (overtraining is stretching it) due to stress... from a number of things that seem to not be going well. My heart rate was fairly elevated this morning as well and stress is the only thing I can link everything to right now. Im working towards controlling it but it will take some time. The stress has been leading to too much exhaustion and fatigue.

Rest, eat, sleep, easy deload week is what im going to prescribe myself.

Get back to basic programming when all is done, focus on putting weight on the bar and calories in my stomach.

KISS comes to mind now...
Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #179
Kevin Perry

So I was going to Start my new cycle of SS on Wed but due to work and last min shopping that never happened and pretty much the same thing today, I ended up getting called in. I guess you could say today was a workout, lots of heavy boxes to put away and ladders to climb.

By the way Im planning a 12 week cycle.. have it completely planed out as far as how much to start off on and what kind of recovery needs that should be considered, etc.

I can now comfortably say im shooting for a heavy weight, 175; or as close to it as possible. Just trying to get really strong. I will probably end it with a 6 week HST cycle followed by some more strength or crossfit, not sure yet on that part.

Rest was definitely what I needed though, lots of sleep and lots of food. My weight has steadily gone back up and I feel strong again so I suspect if I can keep things like this everything should work out. I have taken a lot of time to decompress which has probably helped more than I realize.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #180
Kevin Perry

12/30

Squat: 175 x 5 x 3

Bench: 135 x 5 x 3

Chins: 14, 9, 6

Didn't feel too bad. Just working back into things.