Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #291
Derek Weaver

That's cool. I'd kind of been wondering what a West side influenced oly program would look like.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #292
Kevin Perry

5-13

Pullups: 5 on the min for 5 min

C&J: 40 x 5 x 3, 44 x 2 x 4, 44 x 3 x 3

Ring Dips: 5 x 3

Brought my rings over to the gym, i havn't had a chance to use them in a long time, I think I'll start taking them into the gym with me and using these to work my upper body on assistance stuff instead of using front or lateral raises. My strength has gone down on these, the dips were quite a struggle today.

A couple of issues: My right wrist and right shoulder gave me a lot of problems today. Lots of discomfort and mild pain in my wrist and my shoulder is hurting on the anterior side. Im pretty sure the shoulder pain is due to the lat raises. These always tend to cause discomfort & shoulder pain has increased since adding these in. I'll just do ring work instead for the upper body assistance work, i'll have to run it by my friend. Everything else in the program is fine, just those lat raises... they suck.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #293
Kevin Perry

5-15

Squat: 135 x 8 x 3 @ 53% (of estimated HBBS max)

Cleans: 105 x 3 x 3

Deadlift: 205 x 3 x 5

all done at 53% of an estimated 1RM, except for DL, I already know my DL max.

Did sets of 5 pullups throughout the workout.

Little rant: Funny how being back at 150lbs up from 142/3 I still feel tiny compared to everyone else in the gym and it's getting to be a bitch to get the calories down which makes 165/170 look so much harder to achieve.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #294
Kevin Perry

Messed around with some body weight stuff today, some handstands, pushups on an incline, air squats etc.

Im starting to find that I enjoy screwing around with bodyweight stuff more often now than before
Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #295
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post

Little rant: Funny how being back at 150lbs up from 142/3 I still feel tiny compared to everyone else in the gym and it's getting to be a bitch to get the calories down which makes 165/170 look so much harder to achieve.
I know exactly what you mean, except I just hit 141 yesterday haha.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #296
Kevin Perry

ha, well we are getting there slowly but surely.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #297
Kevin Perry

5-18

ME - Upper

Bench: 150 x 8, 5, 3 155 x 6, 4

Incline: 95 x 2 x 6

Pullups: 2 x 10

That was all I had in me today. I've been getting a lot of aches and pains lately, knee started actin up a couple days ago, shoulder still hurts, right wrist is giving me issues. Doing a light row for a few minutes has been a bit of an issue also.

Was wondering if perhaps this program is too much volume, not liking the fact that my workouts are taking almost an hour and a half as well. Talked to my friend about it, he's gonna send some shoulder prehab stuff i can do and we changed the shoulder circuits in the program to no more shoulder raises.

I normally take this as a message from the body that it is not liking something. This may not be an ideal program unless someone was doing nothing but stuffing their face with food and have the ability to sit around all day.

Im also wondering if all the pressing work is possibly adding to the shoulder pain. It's just the little things that are starting to get to me, by the time i get through the main workout on upper body days, Im too stiff to work on any pullups, chins, dips, etc. things I really dominated in the past and my numbers are dropping fast, shit i was able to do like what 35 deadhangs in the past? and now I just feel really slow. Weightlifters are not supposed to feel slow, they are supposed to feel powerful. It also does not help that the facilities i use absolutely suck with equipment and I still can't use my own equipment for a few more weeks.

Ok that rant was originally only meant to be maybe a sentence or two no more. Either way, I prepared for a scenario like this before i got the program incase I would run into these issues and have a backup plan for it
Old 05-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #298
Derek Weaver

It makes sense your shoulders are acting up what with dips, jerks, a shoulder circuit, bench, and incline.

You've got 5 parts of your programming focusing around the shoulder girdle.

That's a lot for anyone. Good call to take it a little easy and switch a few things up.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #299
Kevin Perry

Well I was sticking it out despite knowing how much work it was to see how I would do. 4 days a week of heavy lifting is a lot especially for the amount of work down on the shoulder.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #300
Derek Weaver

Yeah, I had some issues with tennis elbow and my biceps tendon from too much work around the shoulder girdle. It can sneak up on you in a hurry as well.