Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #391
Kevin Perry

8/25

BS: 255 x 5 x 3
BP: 160 x 5 x 3
DL: 275 x 5 x 1
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #392
Derek Weaver

Nice back squat.

I would think just continue to shoot for linear progression and take whatever increased bodyweight comes with that.

Things are going well so far eh?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #393
Kevin Perry

Thanks,

Yea I'll take the linear stuff as long as I can or want to. So far I see no need to train any other way except when throwing in some Oly here and there. I've already blasted into PR territory with all the lifts, much better run this time then the first time out. Probably cause I just understand how to use it better now then before.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #394
Kevin Perry

8/27

Rough day

BS: 260 x 5 x 2
P : 135 x 5, 4, 4
PC: 150 x 3 x 3

I think it was mostly due to recovery. I was lucky to have a guy at the gym familiar with SS and who also does Oly lifting to monitor form. He spotted that my knees cave in slightly and the heel on the do-wins are too high. The shoes are a little wide so this could be the cause of some form issues I have had but other than that form is pretty much solid.

I don't think I've eaten enough and got enough sleep the last two days so that is my excuse. Still, all PR's either way.

Oh, my low back was bothering me after the 2nd set on the BS so thats why I didn't do a 3rd set.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #395
Kevin Perry

8/29

BS: 265 x 1/225 x 3
BP: 165 x 5 x 3
DL: 240 x 2

I think I hurt my low back on thursday. I couldn't support the weight with either the BS or DL. Tried RDL's with light weight and that was uncomfortable too. Tried the BS with 225 but my low back would start to hurt at the bottom of the lift.

Sleep/Nutrition were good yesterday and today.

This sucks, back is still bothering me just sitting down. No idea what happened.
Edit: Taking 3 days off to focus on some stretching and foam rolling, will be back at it on Wed at the Oly gym w/ 260 or 265 on BS.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #396
Kevin Perry

Foam rolling yesterday and today + lots of stretching. May do some light Good mornings and RDL's with just the bar.

Weight is sitting steady at 160/161 but Im starting to weigh in at 165 on a full stomach, I want to change my weight goal from 165 to 170.

Also I want to keep working with SS until I hit at least a 300 squat, 200+ bench, around 200+ power clean, and hopefully a 350 dead or as close to that as possible. So by week 10 or 12 hopefully. Reason for this is because I want to do one of Bill Starr's 5x5 programs which has more stuff I'd like to incorporate for about 6 or 8 weeks before moving to GPP.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #397
Kevin Perry

8/31

So I was still pissed off about the 260 on the BS so I went to the gym anyways,

BS: 260 x 5 x 3
OHP: 140 x 5/5/4
PC: 155 x 5 x 3

140 is my previous 1RM on the Press, this is getting really rough though and so are the other exercises. I am considering recycling the FS back in on Wed to balance those areas out more and bring it to par with the back squat and power clean so I'm not completely behind in my overall clean strength. Im not certain but I thought it might help alleviate some stress on my lower back.

170lbs is no doubt going to happen though.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #398
Kevin Perry

9/2

FS: 155 x 5 x 3
BP: 170 x 5 x 3
DL: 285 x f

Reverse Hypers: 20 x 3 x 12

Lower back pain again, not as bad with the 2nd and 3rd set of Front Squats but definite discomfort with the other exercises and the deads.

Could be overuse injury perhaps? I have no idea. It's been uncomfortable though.

I don't want to stop since I know progress is still going but I do need to take it easy on th the low back stuff obviously, so it may be best to switch to front squats for now. I may switch deads for SLDL's. Not sure about the power clean I want to keep it in, maybe do deads and PC every other week even.

162 this morning though.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #399
Derek Weaver

Maybe if you take a couple workouts off altogehter your back will heal and you may get a progression for longer.

Worth a shot. Lower back injuries are a real pain to deal with and recover from.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #400
Kevin Perry

Yea I will probably do that, backs been soar all day today. I think I'll just stop at 165 for weight gain though, I can go after 170 some other time because conditioning is going to have to come into the program sooner than later it seems.