Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #401
Kevin Perry

9/4

Went to the gym to do little things.

Easy 5 min row

Squats: Empty bar x 3 x 25 Not to bad, focused on form entirely, no pain but a little discomfort seems to be localized on my lower right side of my back.

DBBP: 35 x 2 x 20
DBSP: 30 x 2 x 15

watched a guy quarter squat 420, well all the squats starting at 135 on up were quarter squats but every person in the gym thought it was badass and hardcore go figure.

Next few days im going to finish up on GOMAD, I'm starting to feel a bit too lethargic and slow, heh climbing up stairs at school is getting tiring.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #402
Kevin Perry

164 lbs this morning.

This is what I have come up with so far, the run days will likely be an easy run for a set distance or time too start building endurance.

Mon
BS 3 x 5
BP 3 x 5
Chins 3 - 4 sets
DB Bench 2 x 20

Tue
Easy Run

Wed
Snatch - singles
C&J - singles
FS - 3 x 3
OHP - 3 x 5

Thur
Easy Run

Fri
SLDL - 3 x 8
BB Row - 4 x 6
Incline BP - 4 x 6
Dips - 3- 4 sets

I'll try this for a couple weeks and see how recovery is, If i take it easy on the runs and focus more on just getting back into the groove than recovery shouldn't be that bad but if it is then I'll just drop a day of lifting and see how that goes.

As for SS I think I've done a really good job so far. I am debating wether to continue for another 2 - 3 weeks but then I figured there would be no point and I should go ahead and get started with conditioning in prep for the Army.

If this plan just sucks, then I'll just go and do CF with some extra running.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #403
Derek Weaver

Nice job on the SS. Feeling lethargic and slow is a symptom of success with the program if you ask me. Increased strength and bodyweight (muscular and otherwise) with no attention to conditioning will do that.

You may want to look into CF Endurance once you get through the first couple of weeks building a conditioning base.

I would definitely scale the CF WODs though.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #404
Kevin Perry

Thanks Derek, I would definitely continue it for longer but I have a hunch I should get started on conditioning.

Speaking of which I don't think the above is going to work out very well. May be too much, Initially I wanted to keep lifting heavy with a couple lifts but I know you just can't really do it when conditioning has to be a priority. So maybe Crossfit with added running is the way to go, so long as the workouts are scaled properly like you said.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #405
Derek Weaver

Yeah, scaled WODs with the CFE running portion ~3x/week may be a good way to go.

The plan before looked like a high volume approach. Maybe more something to work towards rather than start witH?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #406
Kevin Perry

9/8

Went up to Upstate Crossfit for a workout. Will start running and doing regular WODS probably on friday.

Deadlift 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3

225 - 275 - 305 - 325 - 345 - 315

Felt surprisingly good. Very good infact. There was a metcon portion but I never got around to it, there was not enough time.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #407
Kevin Perry

9/9

Went on an easy 15 min run today. Thanks to Matt for the link to James Evans program, I'm going to use that in place of CFE.

Skipped Oly due to a lot of lower back work from mon, tue, and lots of soreness in and around shoulders and traps.

Rest day tomorrow and metcons start on friday
Old 09-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #408
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
9/9

Went on an easy 15 min run today. Thanks to Matt for the link to James Evans program, I'm going to use that in place of CFE.
No problem, dude. That shit seriously works AND you can keep lifting if you balance it right.
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #409
Kevin Perry

9/11

AM: 30 Min Run 1 min on/1min off at about 400m pace.

PM: Barbara scaled reps in 1/2 22min

I would have had no problem completing all the reps except maybe the pull-ups but that would have taken a long time, not the best WOD to start with oh well. I did create a series of metcons and looked back at the archives from 03 - 09 to see which ones looked programed to meet a specific goal, lots of them with thrusters and running so I will pull that out and throw them in soon.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #410
Kevin Perry

9/12

7 rounds for time:
- 110# Thruster, 3 reps
- 5 Burpees

8:39

Sucked, I feel very slow and get winded within the first couple minutes. The funny thing about this week though, my caloric intake has dropped but my protein intake is about the same so my weight has been very steady at 161.

Still have to run later tonight.