Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #491
Kevin Perry

Editing This post:

So basically it's like this: Massive shoulder pain occurred a couple weeks ago, went to the doctor he said it was bursitis and gave me some anti-inflamatory pills, I took this on wed and thursday had stomach pain which got worse into friday then my lower right abdomen and groin was hurting a lot, went to work and the shift would not let me leave so it took about 4 hours to convince her to let me leave, went to the hospital and got rushed into surgery for appendicitis.

I've had a lot of problems with stomach pain, trouble holding food down, getting an upset stomach very easily, not being able to eat a lot and all sorts of pain before and after urinating around my lower abdominals, never went to a doc because the stomach pain was random and normally resolved by morning, that and doctors tend to not believe you unless the pain is actually occurring at that moment.. well now I know why it happened.

Since the surgery on friday night/Sat morning (it was like 1 in the morning i think), my shoulder pain is gone and I've been able to hold food down better and actually eat a little more.

I suspect I may actually feel tons better after im 100% again so much that training, eating, and recovery may improve dramatically. It's pretty relieving to now know all those episodes of stomach pain and pain after urination since I was a kid are due to my appendix and it has been resolved and that many of my problems with eating, recovery, stress, piss poor training may be largely due to the above.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #492
Derek Weaver

Whoa. Sorry to hear about the surgery there. Good that you got in there on time. One of my bosses at work had his appendix burst a little over a month ago. he just came back to work, about 25 lbs lighter and low on energy.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Kevin Perry
This message has been deleted by Kevin Perry.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Kevin Perry
Old 12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Kevin Perry
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #493
Kevin Perry

I cleaned up my log a little bit because I've decided on a direction to focus my training seeing that I've had plenty of time to think on it.

When I am 100% again likely in 3 or 4 weeks I'm going back to strength training. No time table, no time limit. I've had enough time to see first hand that conditioning comes fast when strength is improved and can be developed fast in as little as 6 weeks. Good conditioning can also be balanced responsibly with a solid strength program.

I'll have to put some weight on as I've lost quite a bit already from friday, in fact some people have told me I need to get my weight up heh. I don't have a weight goal, I just wan't to lift big and eat big and take what comes with it. Get the numbers up.. I really want to break 2xBW squat and break 200 on the bench and hit some other numbers.

I'll see what I can squeeze out on linear progression for a while, then after that I will use what else is in the arsenal such as texas method then 5/3/1 then whatever else comes along.

I'll fit enough running in there to keep my 2 mile time good assuming my new waiver gets approved but that's it. I no longer think it's necessary to really complicate things with excessive metcon/CF shit, cf endurance, and all the other shit that does the opposite of what someone really wants: makes them anorexic and weak vs. strong and powerful.

My motivation: I want to be a fat fuck too.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #494
Allen Yeh

Ha well coming from a reformed fat fuck....eh....I like the middle of the road, not skinny like a bean but not plumped like a sausage.

What can you do for the next few weeks? Supposed to take it very easy?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #495
Kevin Perry

Eh supposed to but the incisions are healing pretty quick, I've tried to do more walking, twisting, rotational stuff but I still can't really bend without a lot of pain.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #496
Derek Weaver

Did they give you any guidelines for when to start adding certain activities in? Or did they just tell you to go by feel?

I keep thinking about all this and how quick your recovery has been in that you're home already. Advancements in medicine are sweet. coupled with being strong and you're already loads ahead of others I've known who have had their appendix out. My boss had his burst, which is a different situation, but he was out nearly a month. My cousin's was "leaking" and she was in the hospital for a week with a morphine drip.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #497
Kevin Perry

yea I was lucky, I got there in time for them to get it out before it ruptured or burst but that likely would have been the result had i waited till the morning.

They said no lifting or strenuous activities for a month so yeah im handicapped there. It just sucks I don't like being inactive but I gotta deal with it. It just seems like one set back after the next but I guess when I get back into it i'll go with the mindset of hitting the numbers I've always wanted in the lifts.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #498
Kevin Perry

147lbs today. Boo
Old 12-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #499
Kevin Perry

Well good news is my appetite is feeling "normal" again, I've been eating a lot of food lately and not feeling sick right afterwards so I can definitely tolerate food better now than before.

Incisions are healing up pretty nicely except for one it's taking a long time, hurts, but the lump is getting smaller so that's a good sign. I get stitches removed tomorrow after my math final which I'm dreading the final.

I'm going to buy some Adidas Adistar's in a few weeks and a belt from elite, my Christmas gift to myself hah.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #500
Derek Weaver

Wow. What a day. A math final followed by stitches removed. I hope you've still got the pain meds. Good to see you're getting better